Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Is this price too good to pass up on a SKS?

$179.99 at Dunham's Sports. Its actual add is listed as:

COLLECTORS 59/66 RIFLE
    *Very Good Condition 59/66 semi auto rifles.
    Orig. $300

There is also a picture, just your run of the mill SKS with bayo and wood stock by the looks of it.

This will be my first rifle and I only want to spend a max of $250. I was planning on buying a Mosin 91/30 next weekend at the Washington Co. Gun show but if this is too good of a deal to pass up, I will get this instead.
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

(York County)

Default Re: Is this price too good to pass up on a SKS?

Price isn't too bad...boy, have SKS rifles' prices gone up!
    However, IMHO these are fun plinkers...but not what one would call a "collectable".

(Allegheny County)

I'm not looking for collectible. I'm looking for a cheap rifle with cheap ammo (well no ammo is cheap anymore.) But I am not interested in a rimfire rifle atm.

(Allegheny County)

Here, I copied/pasted a post I made in Jan 2007:

I dismissed them as "useless" for years until I started looking for a low priced rifle to shoot at my club.

I got lucky when Dunham's had the Day after Thanksgiving sale and the "collector grade" (their term) models were on sale for $119.
    I can tell you that after stripping/cleaning/shooting, I would not hesitate to purchase another when the "gun fund" looks better. If I had paid $250, It STILL would have been a good value in my opinion!
    Heck, I paid $139 for my Hi-Point carbine two years ago and after picking up the SKS, I have to think hard to REMEMBER I have the Hi-Point!

Go get one. You won't regret it.
    As was posted elsewhere, the Yugos will go up in price as the current supply dries up. Dunham's had tons of them here for months, but for the past month or so I've only seen the few beat up ones that are left.
    All I can say is LOOK at them, and decide if it's worth it to you.

Tip: If you find one you like, you can put it on layaway to "hold" it for the advertised price. If you wait, and go back, the one you wanted may be gone.

Some Dunham's have 1 or 2 of them, some have 10. I'm lucky enough to have several stores within driving distance. It's worth looking at them all before buying.

Here's mine when I got it.

Good luck!

(Allegheny County)

Thanks EM.

I will go take a look, at the very least. Also layaway is a awesome idea, I have never done it because I'm afraid by the end of the month I will have half the store on layaway, lol.

(Monroe County)

thats a really good price especially for a good condition one (assuming they are).

Make sure you read on the joys of Cosmoline as well before buying.

also SKS's are fun to play with, but they aren't "cheap plinkers" anymore sadly. Check on the price of 7.62x39 before you invest, its going up at a very rapid rate due to war time usage, if you really want cheap shooting you need a .22, thats the only cheap there is anymore
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    thats a really good price especially for a good condition one (assuming they are).

Make sure you read on the joys of Cosmoline as well before buying.

also SKS's are fun to play with, but they aren't "cheap plinkers" anymore sadly. Check on the price of 7.62x39 before you invest, its going up at a very rapid rate due to war time usage, if you really want cheap shooting you need a .22, thats the only cheap there is anymore
    Well, they only had one SKS and it looked like it was used in war, as in looked like a nuclear bomb was dropped on it. So I looked at my first pick for a first rifle, a Mosin 91/30. The manager was the one showing me the guns and I was being picky with the bore condition, and it was pissing him off. I mean I only looked at 2 and he was actually getting mad at me. There was one other customer there and he was still looking around so I really was not holding anything up. In turn it was making me mad so I told him to pick me one. This one had a near FLAWLESS barrel, matching #'s, and stock was in nice condition. So I had to get it, if this one wasn't in good shape I was going to walk out. But I couldn't be happier now and I'll post some pics after dinner. I cant wait to shoot it!

(Allegheny County)

yes, price seems to be $200+ its also nice to be able to pick out your own rifle.

(Chester County)

Yes, that is a decent price at this point.

(Allegheny County)

According to my calculations, they have gone up $60 in two years.(at Dunham's using the Doorbuster sale price)

In addition to the price increase, the selection is nowhere near as good now.
    Sometimes I see a decent one, but most of the stores just have the beater rifles left.

Still, they are an excellent value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast