Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Further testing

(Susquehanna County)

Default Further testing

Continuing my load development the attached shows the results of today's testing. For reasons completely unknown to me the chrono decided it would behave today so for the first time in five or so outings ALL shots recorded. The new wrinkle I added this time was to tape a piece of standard typing paper to the back of the "stop" sky screen. The paper had a small aiming pot on it centered over the sensors.

For the .45 ACP I'm pretty confident I have the right mix for the 185 gr. Nosler JHP with either Accurate #2 or #5 though the #2 seems to give more uniform performance if the computed deviations are a guide.

I also tested some of my "production" .38 Special and 9mm Luger. The .38 stuff worked out a little slower than last tested, the 9mm seems to be running about the same.

Have a look the pdf attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Further testing

Looks like the #2 is working well as is the chrono for a change. Is there a reason you do not put all this in a continuous thread so it would be easier to follow?

It has been interesting to watch your progression.

(Blair County)

Check out the graphs at the bottom of the page:

http://www.gswagner.com/6.5matchrifl...tchrifle6.html

these were done for a rifle, but any firearm is much the same. You are getting SD in the teens, pretty good! The graphing gives more credence to the tests. it shows what happens on either side of the sweet spots. Notice that 4895 has a nice sweet spot as does 2520 while the SB has none. Each "load" consisted of at least 5 rounds some 10. The table shows 44 "loads" or 200 plus shots. Single digit SD's are hard to maintain because of temperature differences day-to-day. Load development gives a good excuse for shooting!
    Steve

(Susquehanna County)

gghbi asks:
    Is there a reason you do not put all this in a continuous thread so it would be easier to follow?
    Yes, there's a reason. The original didn't seem to create that much interest. The first pdf this time around only had about 7 views. I post my test data try to generate an exchange of information with others who might be trying to do similar. But if no one responds it is a dead issue. Just maybe a new thread will induce more interest.

You are right I think the A#2 will become my "go to" powder for .45 ACP. I think at minimum load levels I'll even be able to use it for cast lead bullseye target loads. Something that'll give me about 750 fps out of the muzzle and not beat me up during timed and rapid fire events.

(Susquehanna County)

Well Steve thanks for that link! As it happens developing loads for my 6.5X55 S.E. is one of my continuing projects and 140 grainers are among my fave bullets. I'll be reading that data very closely.

I often thought about graphing my test results and usually I have 50 test loads for one bullet at a spread of charge weights from start to max. This time out I was looking for quick and dirty.

Thanks for the info! Rep sent.

(Blair County)

I do a lot of graphs in my real work. I began graphing reloading data and find it really informative, at least I see trends that I would miss in a tabulation of a lot of numbers. I keep my info in Excel so graphing becomes really simple. I think I built four 6.5 x 55 rifles, all Mausers, and shot them at 600 and 1000 yds., mostly prone with aperture (iron) sights. Each had a slightly different favorite load but all liked 4895.
    Steve