Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default Contrast/Fundamentals(video)

Starting with CONTRAST, a short video. A few days ago I scored on a groundhog in the high hay. Identification was a problem. The other day I scored again in the same spot, but as you can see the field was cut. This score had to be within 5 feet of the first one. No problem identifying. Both scores are on a short clip.

Now we move on to FUNDAMENTALS.------This almost turned out to be a huge BUT ! I made a change in my equipment. I took off a sling that was stretching out and swapped another one in. I said to myself "SELF, you had problems with these sling swivels 40 years ago" To my SELF, take care of that later. Rushed, excited, where's this where's that-----------None of this is excusable-------I blew a minor (c/b major) fundamental.

The video talks for itself. I knew better !

fossil

Last edited by ImAfossil; July 24th, 2016 at 01:32 AM.
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Contrast/Fundamentals(video)

Nice shootin Fossil. Hey I have a bunch of swivels, you want I mail you a bunch?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Nice shootin Fossil. Hey I have a bunch of swivels, you want I mail you a bunch?
    Hey QRTRBORE-----------------Being old school I am superstitious about my equipment. These snap close sling swivels really suck, but (superstition sets in) those swivels have been on my .270's harvesting deer, dinging chucks with my .270, shooting out to 800 yards (scared a few, never got one). I knew their shortcomings, like popping open. I could live with that if I took precautions-----------THEY DO SUCK ! ! !, but they have been with me forever.

Superstitions, neurosis ; maybe I am a case study for Sigmund Freud--------------The end result may bear out that I AM CHEAP !

fossil

(Wayne County)

You sound like some major league ball players that have their rituals. Offer always stands, free on me.

(Lehigh County)

you do know they make a locking version of those swivels now? Must have been putting some pressure to get that reaction.
    I guess that is why I like a bipod for chuck hunting.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    you do know they make a locking version of those swivels now? Must have been putting some pressure to get that reaction.
    I guess that is why I like a bipod for chuck hunting.
    QTRBORE: I will pass on your offer of sling swivels and yes, I probably do go through rituals. One that comes to mind, when I scored with a buck at deer camp, I made sure I wore the same woolen socks until I struck out. I HEARD THAT ! Of course they were laundered.

For GGHBI: You talk about a bipod. Here is a real irony. When you look at the red tie wraps on the sling swivel, the swivel is attached to my Harris bipod. That same identical Harris bipod was attached to the .270, with the California rolled cheek piece that was gouged when the swivel popped open and hit a rock, some 40 odd years ago. I actually lifted the gouge up and out with my wife's iron and a wet cloth. Then some fine sanding and refinishing. The mark still shows, but you can not feel a bump or dent.

A true case of history repeating itself.

fossil
    Last edited by ImAfossil; July 25th, 2016 at 12:56 AM.

(Lehigh County)

I went back and looked and I now see the bipod above the sling swivel. I had this picture of you with a sling military style with it wrapped around your elbow and trying to figure how much pressure you were putting on it.

BTW I want to congratulate you on your video presentations, they are getting really interesting. I guess like shooting, practice makes things better.
    Last edited by gghbi; July 24th, 2016 at 09:41 PM.