Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default I might be living with a prohibited person

and would have to lock up my guns if I do. I got two different opinions from two different LEOs. One said locked in my closet would be fine the other recommended a gun safe. I think one of those stack on security cabinets locked in my closet would be sufficient. I am familiar with the concept of constructive possession. It is vague. Like I said I already got two different opinions from two different LEOs. I think as long as my guns are secured in a metal, locked, stack on cabinet I'd be good. Just looking for different opinions on here since the issue of constructive possession is a matter of opinion. The prohibited person would not be allowed to touch my guns nor would they even be allowed in my room which would be locked when I am not home.

(Berks County)

Default Re: I might be living with a prohibited person

Move or move them.

(Montgomery County)

Send a PM to Gunlawyer001, and/or talk to a lawyer that specializes in firearm law.
    LEO's (I am a retired LEO) are not the best resource for gun law compliance.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It's like any other situation where you have to choose. You either drink, or you drive. You either get married, or you date multiple women. Some choices preclude other choices.

In this case, you can either live with a prohibited person and deny them access to guns, or you can have your guns lying around. But not both. They have the problem, not you, unless your behavior is so reckless that you are actually providing them with weapons. "Negligent entrustment" is lurking around the corner.

I don't imagine that there would be a serious issue if you had a locked gun safe and could establish that the prohibited person never had access. But if you have guns or ammo in the closet, and you sometimes left the building while the other person remained, then at least one of you is toast if the cops find out.

There's always a choice, it doesn't mean that the alternatives are attractive, but the choice is there, you don't HAVE to live with this person, and you don't HAVE to own guns.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=33779
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Warren County)

Asking a Cop is NOT good a good way to learn what the law says or what the consequences of violating such a law may be.
    Spend $ on a consult with a lawyer to know for sure.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Send a PM to Gunlawyer001, and/or talk to a lawyer that specializes in firearm law.
    LEO's (I am a retired LEO) are not the best resource for gun law compliance.
    Years ago my felon buddy lived with his mother and her boyfriend when he got out of the pokey. His mothers boyfriend had a big gun safe full of guns in his closet. My buddies PO knew about it and so did the PSP. No one got in trouble.

(Allegheny County)

In case you are not aware, ammo is a no-go as well for the prohibited person.
    No touching it - no access - not even one round of 22LR.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

My situation is this. My grandfather passed away and I'll be inheriting his house. Me and a relative who is prohibited were going to move in. The house will be in my name next May. I can't see that there would be any issues with my guns being locked up in my room in a safe or security cabinet. I've studied such cases and there would have to be significant evidence that the prohibited person was the actual possessor.

(Bucks County)

If the house is in your name, why are you letting a prohibited person live there?

(Cumberland County)

Being as we have a liberal Gov., State Supreme Court, AG and of course the many anti-gun DA's all around; I would go with a full blown safe. If the prohibited person ended up with a gun and you had one of those cheap Stack On cabinets an aggressive prosecutor may try to go after you for not meeting their standard of locking up the guns. Also a safe will give you some fire protection. A locked closet would be a huge mistake in my opinion. Of course this is all just my opinion.

My son has lots of friends over and I mostly keep my guns in a safe in my room. I bought a $50ish door knob that has a digital lock from Amazon to lock the door whenever I'm not home or the friends are over. Just an extra layer of safety in case I left the gun next to my bed or the safe unlocked.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast