Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Going to DE for vacation---question about "park carry"

The title say's it all---well, most of it. I'm vacationing in Delaware in 10 days and have researched their carry laws. We're going to Dewey beach and I will be carrying my .40 M&P Shield or more likely my pocket LCP....I have a FL and UT license. Anyway, we plan on driving to Fenwick island and have to drive RTE 1 through a state park. Can I conceal as long as I'm passing through as the road is not considered a state park?

Also, are "No guns" signs on stores the same as in PA---meaning, they hold no law? Anything else I should be aware of?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Going to DE for vacation---question about "park carry"

Wow. Didn't know that about state parks in DE but here it is:

Carrying Of a Firearm Is Prohibited In State Parks (Del. Regulation 7.9000.24.3, enforced by §4704(4)).

I haven't found much else but everything I've read sounds like you can't have a gun within any area of the park which would include driving through it. But you may find other information.

Route 1 is not part of the Delaware State Park system. There is a guard house where you pay to go in the parking lot for the state park that is where the state park begins. Whatever you do do not go beyond Fenwick Island as you will be in Maryland once you pass route 54.
    Right of citizens to bear arms ...shall not be questioned.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by clarencecoffee View Post
    Route 1 is not part of the Delaware State Park system. There is a guard house where you pay to go in the parking lot for the state park that is where the state park begins. Whatever you do do not go beyond Fenwick Island as you will be in Maryland once you pass route 54.
    ^^^this^^^

Watch yourself if you go south. The Maryland line will come and go without warning and it's really easy to find yourself in md. As far as signs, I didn't see any when we were down there posted anywhere. I fished in the state park and it's nice. You should be fine as long as you don't stop anywhere along the road, at least that's the way I did it.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    ^^^this^^^

Watch yourself if you go south. The Maryland line will come and go without warning and it's really easy to find yourself in md. As far as signs, I didn't see any when we were down there posted anywhere. I fished in the state park and it's nice. You should be fine as long as you don't stop anywhere along the road, at least that's the way I did it.
    If you see 146th Street you just entered OCMD. Route one is posted in both directions.

Just after 146th Street heading south on 1. If you see this pucker up and get out ASAP.

Just after Fenwick Ave. heading north on 1. When you see this you can take a deep breath.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    ~snip~

Also, are "No guns" signs on stores the same as in PA---meaning, they hold no law? Anything else I should be aware of?
    From handgunlaw.us (one of the best up to date non govt sites I've found)

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/delaware.pdf

“No Firearm” signs in Delaware have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specificallymentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place notspecifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse toleave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are askedto leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may havebeen called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if youare within the law.

(Centre County)

I used to work as a seasonal ranger at Delaware Seashore State Park, which covers the area between Dewey and Fenwick (including Fenwick Island State Park). Unless something major has changed, you should be fine driving through on Route 1 - it's not a part of the park. The park boundaries are a bit choppy, as there is a lot of private land interspersed with the park property, but The Division of Parks and Rec is (was, anyway) good about marking the boundaries, especially for anything you access by car.

If you want to get on the beach at one of the parks, especially on a weekend, get there before 10 am, as they fill up fast. We used to close every park swimming beach on the ocean, from Lewes to the state line, on weekends between 10:30 am and 1:30 pm in July and August, because we were at capacity.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for your replies.

Well, it looks like I won't be carrying after all. Our friends have a place in Ocean City,MD and have invited us there for 3-4 days instead of us going to DE. Unless MD changed their carry laws it looks like pepper spray is my defense....kind of sucks but great people we're staying with and saves us $1000 . Maybe I can put that towards ammo and a new firearm.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson