Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question NO FIREARMS ALLOWED: Pittsburgh Zoo, can it be unprivatized?

The Pittsburgh Zoo doesn't allow people to carry, they were privatized years ago. Some woman who now runs the Zoo will not permit any slack even if a person is responsible and trained.

Just for kicks, does anyone know if a private organization could be unprivatized, given back to the city of Pittsburgh?

The framework to run the zoo is already in place, there is a board, and all/most of the people who were supposed to be on The Zoological Park Commission still have their positions in the city. The Zoological Park Commission was created but not initiated before the Zoo was privatized. So the framework is in place, the question is would it be possible to get the Zoo to be a public place, instead of a private business.

Link to the pittsburgh city code
    http://library4.municode.com/default...al;#0-0-0-1851

Thanks,
    GP
    Last edited by gunperson003; August 22nd, 2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: added some information

Default Re: NO FIREARMS ALLOWED: Pittsburgh Zoo, can it be unprivatized?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    Is it clearily posted at entrance that you are not allowed carrying firearms in the zoo?

Gun Free Zoo Zone, criminals & wackos welcome here?
    I called and asked, they said they call security and/or the police. I'd like to work on making the Zoo a public place. So the zoo was a failure under the people who were running it then, it is fine now. The city should control the zoo, it is called the Pittsburgh Zoo after all.

(Allegheny County)

i've carried (concealed) at the zoo many times. never knew they had a policy against it.

there is no sign at all at the entrance. there is no security checkpoint either.

i try to respect the rights of private property owners and don't carry on private property against the owner's wishes (i do that by not going there at all).

however, i don't go out of my way to ask about carrying. if they don't want guns on the property, they should put up a sign. i would respect it by turning around and not giving them my money.

at any rate, i certainly hope it is not "unprivatized". the government has no right to use my tax dollars to be in the zoo business.

just because it is called the pittsburgh zoo doesn't mean anything. there is, for example, an auto repair shop around here called "pittsbugh collision center" and it isn't run by the government either

(Allegheny County)

Pittsburgh and Allegheny County don't have that great of track record with running a City and County. I'd hate to see them have any say on feeding Fluffy the hippo or any other animal for that matter.
    No signature required.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    at any rate, i certainly hope it is not "unprivatized". the government has no right to use my tax dollars to be in the zoo business.

just because it is called the pittsburgh zoo doesn't mean anything. there is, for example, an auto repair shop around here called "pittsbugh collision center" and it isn't run by the government either
    I'm talking about open carry at the Zoo. There are many zoos ran by a city which do well: LA Zoo, Boise Zoo, err New York owns some as well I think, and there are others.

Zoos can be ran efficiently by the city, what happened when the Pittsburgh Zoo was owned by the city was called mismanagement.

I think the zoo is now paranoid because of this, http://kdka.com/local/Zoo.Robbed.gunpoint.2.732614.html

I did ask about firearms weeks after the zoo was robbed, so obviously they made a "policy".

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgt7546 View Post
    Pittsburgh and Allegheny County don't have that great of track record with running a City and County. I'd hate to see them have any say on feeding Fluffy the hippo or any other animal for that matter.
    LOL. no kidding...

if the city took over, all the hippos, tigers, elephants, etc. would end up moving to the butler county zoo and all that would be left is a bunch of fat, overfed donkeys shitting all over the place...

LOL. no kidding...

if the city took over, all the hippos, tigers, elephants, etc. would end up moving to the butler county zoo and all that would be left is a bunch of fat, overfed donkeys shitting all over the place...
    Then perhaps they can ask other zoos which are doing well under a city how they're making their zoos as successful.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gunperson003 View Post
    I'm talking about open carry at the Zoo. There are many zoos ran by a city which do well: LA Zoo, Boise Zoo, err New York owns some as well I think, and there are others.
    even if the city could do a good job of it, imho, they just plain don't have any business being in the zoo business. if i want my money to go toward supporting a zoo, i'll either go there and buy a ticket or donate some money to it. i do not want my tax dollars being used for a zoo.

I think the zoo is now paranoid because of this, http://kdka.com/local/Zoo.Robbed.gunpoint.2.732614.html
    could be.

maybe they should institute a "no armed robberies" policy instead, though. prolly be just about as effective.

that'd be public housing in about 45min if the city got it.

even if the city could do a good job of it, imho, they just plain don't have any business being in the zoo business. if i want my money to go toward supporting a zoo, i'll either go there and buy a ticket or donate some money to it. i do not want my tax dollars being used for a zoo.

could be.

maybe they should institute a "no armed robberies" policy instead, though. prolly be just about as effective.
    They could charge admission for entering the park still just like other places do, nothing would really change except ownership. Just have knowledgeable people on the board. The Zoological committee was created to run the park but was never activated in time. I propose a movement to work on unprivatizing the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    that'd be public housing in about 45min if the city got it.
    Are you saying we should throw convicts in the tiger's cage?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast