Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Primer Difference 7.62x39 domestic vs milsurp or wolf etc

Just wondering if someone could educate me on something...

I am in the process of buying a single shotgun insert/ chamber adapter for 7.62x39 but the maker told me that I might not be able to use WOLF in it because of the primer and that I might need to use 'domestic' primer (ammo).

So does this mean Wold definitely won't work or it might work?

I dont really want to buy a different ammo brand just for shooting in that, would prefer to use what I have (wolf).

Thanks.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Primer Difference 7.62x39 domestic vs milsurp or wolf etc

More than likely has to do with the thickness/hardness of the mil-spec primers.

(Philadelphia County)

thanks, yes I thought as much... but I was hoping someone could explain how much of an issue this could be or at least tell me if my NEF 12gauge or even an Encore hammer would be able to overcome this difference and ignite/ energize the primer/ round with any consistency - that is what I really would like to know.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
    thanks, yes I thought as much... but I was hoping someone could explain how much of an issue this could be or at least tell me if my NEF 12gauge or even an Encore hammer would be able to overcome this difference and ignite/ energize the primer/ round with any consistency - that is what I really would like to know.
    No way to know before you try it.

Ive seen encores struggle to ignite steel cased primers before, but thats no guarantee

A lot of the steel cased come with berdan primers and are harder to ignite. Brass cased boxer primed 7.62x39 is usually a bit easier and require less of a hit. This is often a problem you run into running steel cased 7.62x39 in ARs. A heavier hammer spring usually solves the problem.

(Bucks County)

In my limited experience, single-barreled shotgun hammers usually have a pretty good whack. Just buy 20 instead of 1000 and try them.

(Philadelphia County)

thanks for all the feedback, i think im going to go for it if my TC Encore package sells and use some of that to fund this venture... of course I will post my findings for future use.

Quote Originally Posted by bugout View Post
    I know for a fact that a NEF receiver can ignite the Wolf steel case ammo. I have a 7.62x39 barrel on mine, and it works consistently. There have been complaints of fail to fire from others that own H&R/NEF 7.62x39 rifles. If that is a problem, all you have to do is swap out the firing pin spring with a stronger Wolf spring.

My only concern is that the NEF shotgun receiver you are using the "shotgun insert/ chamber adapter" is not an SB2 (cast alloy steel) receiver, and may be an SB1 (cast iron) receiver. So the frame might not hold up to the pressures of a 7.62x39 round. Please check to make sure, it is a safety concern.