Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Some thoughts on lead exposure

I've recently started to take much more seriously the threat of lead exposure. I've come to realize that a potent neuro-toxin comes into contact with us if/when we handle and shoot firearms. How seriously do you worry about this (especially parents of young children, like me)?

1) Do you shower every time after the range visit?
    2) Change all clothes after range?
    3) Change shoes after range visit?
    4) Keep all ammo / firearms / holsters away from daily rooms?

I'm realizing now that the powderized lead from every range visit pretty much is all over ALL guns and ALL gun equipment (including holsters, mag pouches, etc). What precautions do you guys take, especially having young kids, to protect yourselves and your family members from the danger of lead poisoning?

Am I being too anxious? thanks

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Some thoughts on lead exposure

I shoot fully plated or fully poly-coated bullets. Outside (mostly). I wash my hands before I eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    I shoot fully plated or fully poly-coated bullets. Outside (mostly). I wash my hands before I eat.
    I shoot only fmj or Jsp. Apparently the primers have quite a bit of vaporized lead when they detonate.

(Delaware County)

I cast my own bullets. I melt lead in my basement. I handle the lead ingots and the cast bullets several times through casting, sizing and reloading. After casting or loading, I wash my hands before smoking or eating. That's it. Been doing it for 45 years. And my Daddy was casting bullets in our basement before I was born, so that brings my "exposure" to 59 years. My lead blood levels were last taken 4 months ago, after several marathon casting sessions over the winter to prepare for the summer season. My level was 5 mcg/dL.

Lead fears are way, WAY overblown.

(Allegheny County)

Hey, if you are worried about your kids, nothing wrong with that, I completely get it. You're not being too anxious, just a good parent.

I've been casting my own bullets, lead soldiers and shooting for decades. The only precaution I take is washing my hands when I'm done.

Three healthy kids, and I've never had any problems. As for my family, I'm more worried about the chemicals, hormones and pesticides in our food chain. I think we are all ingesting far more dangerous stuff, and in increasing amounts, than you are going to bring home from the range.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I cast my own bullets. I melt lead in my basement. I handle the lead ingots and the cast bullets several times through casting, sizing and reloading. After casting or loading, I wash my hands before smoking or eating. That's it. Been doing it for 45 years. And my Daddy was casting bullets in our basement before I was born, so that brings my "exposure" to 59 years. My lead blood levels were last taken 4 months ago, after several marathon casting sessions over the winter to prepare for the summer season. My level was 5 mcg/dL.

Thanks for sharing your experience, and your test results. I don't reload, but I shoot at an indoor range. On average, I go once a month or less. I might go months without a visit, then go once a week for a few weeks. I didn't think about it for a few years, had a baby, she seems fine, she'll be three in a few months, and just recently I started to worry about the lead issue. My guess is, all is okay, and I'll just be more careful.

(Bucks County)

I use the pre-moistened hand towels after shooting to get the residue off. That said, I used to melt wheel weights in a pot over an open fire and make lead ingots. Pretty sure I got enough lead fumes that I'm already screwed!

(Warren County)

What personal sensitivity does each person have to lead?

We dunno, but it's easy to believe that each person will have a different resistance / susceptibility (sensitivity) to a given substance.

Booze hits different people different ways. Gluten free / lactose free products exist for a reason.

So........ hard numbers on lead exposure / safety might be difficult to quantify.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post

Lead can store in bone, then be released due to physiological changes.

Have your bone-lead measurement taken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Westmoreland County)

Lead? I usually just run my own blood thru a filter system in my garage about twice a year. I get a few pounds of lead that way and the other plus is that really bad tic I have in my head seems to calm way down and when I go to the range, more guys seem to stay instead of running away from being afraid of something. I dunno what.....but I just set up and shoot anyway.

Now, what was your question?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast