Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Non-Resident permits ONLY to property owners

Quote Originally Posted by PLS3 View Post
    My original post was merely to point out that the PAFOA list shows (or showed) Susquehanna County as a "yes" for issuing non-resident licences.

djpup, yes, I do have a NYS concealed carry permit and have had for many years. As a retired Judge I think I am capable of reading and understanding the law. You and I are apparently about the same age and level of "curmudgeonlyness"

Harmony Hermit, Upstate NYS residents are not happy with our gun laws either. If it wasn't for the downstate RINOs we wouldn't have this problem.

My reason for wanting a PA non-resident license is that I frequently drive to Tennessee and, except for Maryland, I would be able to carry the whole way.
    I can assure you that many downstate NY residents are unhappy with NY laws, as I am originally from LI.

However I can understand why the residents of Susquehanna are not happy with issuing LTC's to NY er's when NY state will come down heavily on a PA resident caught in NY with a legally owned handgun.

Make a wrong turn into NY or get detoured and you are immediately a felon, that is not right and is reason enough to not issue LTC to NY people who have no interest in PA.

Also our PICS system is not set up to deal with out of state folks who may be felons but not in our system. And there is the matter of paying clerks to process applications, the cost of which is not nearly covered by the licensing fees.

You can travel through PA with your gun as long as you have a license in another state and are just traveling through. PA follows Federal law in this matter, not so much NY.

You are partly correct. "Under the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach.
    In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered."
    This provision of the FOPA can be used as an affirmative defense to a charge but, in some jurisdictions, may not prevent you from being arrested.
    Also, in some jurisdictions having a loaded magazine is considered the same as having a loaded firearm.
    So basically while travelling between states to completely CYA you should have 3 locked containers, one for the firearm, one for the magazine(s) and one for the ammunition.
    If I can get a PA non-resident license it would allow me to carry all the way to TN except for the 12 miles of of I-81 in Maryland OR I could take I-90 though PA and be OK..
    Last edited by PLS3; July 17th, 2016 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HarmonyHermit View Post
    ...I can understand why the residents of Susquehanna are not happy with issuing LTC's to NY er's when NY state will come down heavily on a PA resident caught in NY with a legally owned handgun.

Make a wrong turn into NY or get detoured and you are immediately a felon, that is not right and is reason enough to not issue LTC to NY people who have no interest in PA.

Also our PICS system is not set up to deal with out of state folks who may be felons but not in our system. And there is the matter of paying clerks to process applications, the cost of which is not nearly covered by the licensing fees. .
    That may be but the fact that residents of a local jurisdiction "are not happy" is not a reason for the Sheriff's failure to follow state law. Would not being happy with other laws mean they could be ignored?
    As far as paying the clerks, they are probably on salary so they get paid regardless of what prescribed duty they are performing.

(Susquehanna County)

Until he is challenged in court, he will continue to not issue (ie do his job).
    Stay armed my friends.

(Susquehanna County)

You are partly correct. "Under the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess and carry it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach.
    In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered."
    This provision of the FOPA can be used as an affirmative defense to a charge but, in some jurisdictions, may not prevent you from being arrested.
    Also, in some jurisdictions having a loaded magazine is considered the same as having a loaded firearm.
    So basically while travelling between states to completely CYA you should have 3 locked containers, one for the firearm, one for the magazine(s) and one for the ammunition.
    If I can get a PA non-resident license it would allow me to carry all the way to TN except for the 12 miles of of I-81 in Maryland OR I could take I-90 though PA and be OK..
    Just saw this.. In PA if you have a valid license from another state, Reciprocity or not, you may legally transport a loaded handgun through the state..
    Listed below are exceptions as outlined in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106. (2) (b) Exceptions:
    11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

IANAL
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

I believe Bradford county is good with non res. LTCF
    FUCK BIDEN

(Susquehanna County)

Susquehanna County will now issue to NY residents in Broome County only that have their pistol permit. I'm not sure if you need to have the unrestricted permit in NY though.
    Stay armed my friends.

(Susquehanna County)

Yeah that was the agreement to mirror the agreement made between Bradford (PA) and Chemung(NY) counties.
    This is for Broome County residents..

A recent call to the Broome County Sheriff's office by my wife "We do not issue pistol licenses to non-residents"
    She reminded them of the agreement that was in the news and their reply "Ma'am, you can come and fill out the paperwork and submit the non-refundable fee, but the sheriff does not issue pistol licenses to non-residents!"

Many PA residents have complained about Broome County not upholding their side of the agreement.
    This statement is now back on the Sheriff's webpage "We do not accept out-of-state applications unless applicant owns property in Susquehanna County (proof required)."
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    Just saw this.. In PA if you have a valid license from another state, Reciprocity or not, you may legally transport a loaded handgun through the state..
    Listed below are exceptions as outlined in 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106. (2) (b) Exceptions:
    11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

IANAL
    You forgot ¶15 sub paragraph (i):
    (15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully
    issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been
    issued under the laws of another state...provided:
    (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for
    individuals licensed to carry firearms under section

It would seem that ¶15 and ¶11 are in conflict

So, theoretically, if I wish to stop in PA for food or lodging I might still be detained.
    Which brings me back to the fact that the Federal FOPA is only an affirmative defense
    Having a PA permit (which I do now, Thanks Lebanon Co.) frees me from that concern.
    Last edited by PLS3; November 5th, 2016 at 07:00 PM.

You forgot ¶15 sub paragraph (i):
    (15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully
    issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been
    issued under the laws of another state...provided:
    (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for
    individuals licensed to carry firearms under section

It would seem that ¶15 and ¶11 are in conflict

So, theoretically, if I wish to stop in PA for food or lodging I might still be detained.
    Which brings me back to the fact that the Federal FOPA is only an affirmative defense
    Having a PA permit (which I do now, Thanks Lebanon Co.) frees me from that concern.
    As I read 11, if you have a valid license from any state, you can carry in your vehicle. If you get out of the vehicle you must open carry(any place but Philly).

15 seems to be allowing concealed carry provided you have a license from a reciprocal state.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12