Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default first time reloader making shoping list

I took a Lee Challenger press on trade a few years ago, I think I'll try reloading. I want to load cowboy action 45colt loads...would love a shopping list. So far I have just the press and some primer thingers...and brass. Here's what I have.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=303474

Thanks!

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: first time reloader making shoping list

Number 1, a reloading manual. Lyman 49 is a really good one to start with. Personally I have several around. You'll get good load data from them and almost all have an intro to loading section at the beginning.

Get a decent scale. I'd go with a beam scale at first, even if you upgrade to digital later it's always good to have one around to check on things.

Powder measure, definitely a necessity.

Dies, I like Lee or RCBS personally.

Components. For .45lc, you'll need large pistol primers, powder (I use unique for it) your reloading manual will help with this decision, and bullets (for cowboy loads cast will work well).

That'll get you started. Warning, you'll buy lots of other stuff eventually.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Number 1, a reloading manual. Lyman 49 is a really good one to start with. Personally I have several around. You'll get good load data from them and almost all have an intro to loading section at the beginning.

Get a decent scale. I'd go with a beam scale at first, even if you upgrade to digital later it's always good to have one around to check on things.

Powder measure, definitely a necessity.

Dies, I like Lee or RCBS personally.

Components. For .45lc, you'll need large pistol primers, powder (I use unique for it) your reloading manual will help with this decision, and bullets (for cowboy loads cast will work well).

That'll get you started. Warning, you'll buy lots of other stuff eventually.
    BANG-ON ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    - bamboomaster

(Wyoming County)

I started with a Frankford Arsenal digital scale but lost confidence in it, and added a RCBS 505 Beam Scale. Now my OCD has me using both, double checking every charge. Yeah it takes me a long ass time to reload.

Haven't bought a Powder Measure. Reviews are all over the place on them, and I guess powder type has a big impact on how they throw, or if they leak like a sieve. Probably be great for Pistol Powders?

Primer, I just use the one that came with my Lee Press. The little hand primer presses with the trays seem handy & fast but more money than I'm willing to spend at this point.

I'm not familiar with the 45LC. For handgun, I reload .40SW & just started .380 I've never had to trim a pistol caliber. I do have a case gauge for my .40's that I use to check them.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Berks County)

Trail Boss powder for Cowboy Action loads. Loading single stage, I would definitely get a powder drop measure - Lee, RCBS etc. For this particular application, accuracy isn't all that important, but you will need a scale to make sure you get the powder measure set up correctly. One of the good things about Trail Boss powder is that you will have a hard time blowing yourself up due to a double charge. You could essentially fill the case & not get to dangerous levels. You can also load down for Cowboy Action (mouse fart loads) and it will still fill a good bit of the case. That stainless Uberti you got from me saw lots of Trail Boss loads with the minimum (5.5 grains or something close).

Lee 4 die set for 45 LC is a good buy. Resize, expand / powder drop, bullet seat & crimp dies.

You will need calipers to check your cartridge length.

Cowboy Action loads can be dirty. You will likely need to get a tumbler at some point to clean your cases. Harbor freight & pet store walnut with a shot of NuShine works great.

Another fun thing is real blackpowder loads!

(Lycoming County)

^^^^ +1
    Forgot that one.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by theunrulychef View Post
    Trail Boss powder for Cowboy Action loads. Loading single stage, I would definitely get a powder drop measure - Lee, RCBS etc. For this particular application, accuracy isn't all that important, but you will need a scale to make sure you get the powder measure set up correctly. One of the good things about Trail Boss powder is that you will have a hard time blowing yourself up due to a double charge. You could essentially fill the case & not get to dangerous levels. You can also load down for Cowboy Action (mouse fart loads) and it will still fill a good bit of the case. That stainless Uberti you got from me saw lots of Trail Boss loads with the minimum (5.5 grains or something close).

Lee 4 die set for 45 LC is a good buy. Resize, expand / powder drop, bullet seat & crimp dies.

Cowboy Action loads can be dirty. You will likely need to get a tumbler at some point to clean your cases. Harbor freight & pet store walnut with a shot of NuShine works great.

Another fun thing is real blackpowder loads!
    Great advice! Your right, those cowboy loads are dirty but fun. I might try real black powder too, but talk about dirty...

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Thanks guys! I'm making my list and checking it twice...

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by IrocGuns View Post
    I took a Lee Challenger press on trade a few years ago, I think I'll try reloading. I want to load cowboy action 45colt loads...would love a shopping list. So far I have just the press and some primer thingers...and brass. Here's what I have.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=303474

Thanks!
    I started reloading at the beginning of last year. And I also started with 45 colt.
    Although modern smokeless; not black powder.

Here's a couple threads I started concerning my initial venturing into reloading:

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=278719
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=281541

And here is my equipment list:
    Sorry, I was not able to cut-n-paste and then format correctly.
    But I believe it can still be understood.
    And I think we all can agree that I probably went over board.
    So pick and choose wisely.

Code:
    Reloading Equipment Inventory Report

Manufacturer          Name                 General Use        Cost/Price                  Notes
    3M                X-factor safety glasses safety glasses     10.57            $9.97 + tax, Home Depot
    Basics            dustpan + duster        cleanup            4.22             $3.98 + tax, Walmart
    Basics            stool                   stool              12.6             $11.88 + tax, Walmart
    Burnsoft          My Loaders Log & CD logs                   26.99
    Cabela's          bullet puller           bullet puller      21.19            $19.99 + tax, Cabela's
    Dymo              Letratag                label maker        18.95            $17.88 + tax, Walmart
    Dymo              refill                  label maker refill 7.29             $6.88 + tax, Walmart
    Frankford Arsenal Electronic Calipers     round measuring    24.99            MidwayUSA
    Frankford Arsenal Peel and Stick Labels   labels             8.99             pack of 100, MidwayUSA
    Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case         case preparation   74.99            MidwayUSA
                      tumbler master kit
    Hillman           No Smoking Sign         sign               2.1              $1.98 + tax, Home depot
    Hillman           No Smoking Sign         sign               7.28             $6.87 + tax, Home Depot
    Hodgdon           Annual Manual 2015      manual             8.47             $7.99 + tax, Cabela's
    Hodgdon           Annual Manual 2016      manual             8.47             7.99 + tax, Cabela's
    Home Depot        2x4's                   bench materials    31.83
    Home Depot        MDF                     bench materials    31.78
    Home Depot        nuts + bolts            bench materials    1.7
    Home Depot        nuts + bolts            bench materials    9.42
    Home Depot        nuts + bolts            bench materials    11.16            Home Depot
    Home Depot        pegboard                bench materials    19.38
    Home Depot        T-nuts + rubber cups    bench materials    6.39
    Hornday            Handbook of Cartridge manual            31.79            $29.99 + tax, Cabela's
                       Reloading
    Hornday            Reload Counter mat    bench materials   21.19            $19.99 + tax, Cabela's
    Inline Fabrication Junior Ultra Mount 6" press mount       65
    Inline Fabrication Toolhead Storage rack storage rack      20
                       - Lee 4 hole turret
    LEE                4 hole turret         turret            12.99            MidwayUSA
    LEE                4 Hole turret         turret            12.99            MidwayUSA
    LEE                4 Hole Turret Press   press             84.99            MidwayUSA
    LEE                Auto-Disk Powder      powder measure    24.99            MidwayUSA
                       Measure
    LEE                Auto-Disk Powder      die related       21.57            3x, MidwayUSA
                       measure Riser
    LEE                Deluxe Carbide 4-Die  dies              41.99            MidwayUSA
                       set .357/.38
    LEE                Deluxe Carbide 4-Die  dies              41.99            MidwayUSA
                       set .357/.38
                       set .45 Colt
    LEE                Modern Reloading      manual            21.19            $19.99 + tax, Cabela's
                       Second Edition
    LEE                Primer Pocket Cleaner case preparation  4.19             MidwayUSA
    LEE                Pro Auto-Disk Powder powder measure     51               $41.99 + shipping and NRA round up;
                       Measure                                                  MidwayUSA
    LEE                Safety Magnetic       scale             24.99            MidwayUSA
                       Powder Scale
    LEE                 Safety Prime small +   priming            22.99            MidwayUSA
                        large
    LEE                 Universal Shellholders shell holders      27.49            MidwayUSA
    Loadbooks           .357 Magnum            manual             7.41             $6.99 + tax, Cabela's
                        Loadbook
    Loadbooks           .38 Special Loadbook   manual             7.41             $6.99 + tax, Cabela's
    Loadbooks           .45 ColtLoadbook       manual             7.41             $6.99 + tax, Cabela's
    Lyman               49th Reloading         manual             30.73            $28.99 + tax, Cabela's
                        Handbook
    Lyman               Peel and Stick Labels  labels             4.19             pack of 75, MidwayUSA
    Lyman               Pistol & Revolver      manual             18.99            MidwayUSA
                        Handbook
    Lyman               pistol case guage      case guage         13.77            $12.99 + tax, Cabela's
    MTM                 loading tray           loading tray       16.94            2 x $7.99 + tax, Cabela's
    Norcom              Composition Notebook logs                 4.41             3x $1.39 + tax, Wegman's
    RCBS                Stuck Case remover     stuck case remover 18.99            MidwayUSA
    shipping            shipping               shipping           4.99
    shipping            shipping               shipping           10.59            MidwayUSA
    shipping            shipping               shipping           9.99             MidwayUSA
    shipping            shipping               shipping           16.95
    Sierra              Rifle & Handgun        manual             30.73            $28.99 + tax, Cabela's
                        Reloading Data
    Sterlite            7-qt latch boxes       brass storage      24.94            12 X ($1.96 + tax), Walmart
    WJ                basic Economy vinyl logs             2.53            $2.39 + tax, Wegman's
                      binder
    --ET

(Chester County)

And one more thing: a bullet puller is going to be your new best friend....
    - bamboomaster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast