Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Wyoming County)

Default Bench Rest 223 bolt action- I've got an itch for such a rifle

So the other day I came across a Savage model #10 Precision Carbine Accu Stock / Accu Trigger threaded 20" heavy barrel with a 1-9 twist.

A little background to consider. I've been reloading for about 18 months now and really enjoy it. I'm all set up with .223 & 300blk for rifle calibers. My backyard provides me with 100-150 yds of shooting room. For the time being I have 16" AR rifles to shoot with but I'd like to learn better shooting & better reloading, & I'd eventually like to add varmint hunting to the mix. I'm only interested in threaded models for a can. Detachable box mags appeal more to me. Floor plates not so much- with a wink at Remington 700 & Ruger M77

I've also come across a Browning X-Bolt A-TACS LE which I guess is new for 2016. It has 20" threaded barrel with a 1-8 twist. I constantly read positive reviews about Savage out of the box performance, but I'm not familiar with Browning at all. Apparently Savage has discontinued their model (or at least I can't find it on their website anymore).

Link: http://www.browning.com/products/fir...-atacs-le.html

Any Savage or X-Bolt users or anyone else care to share their input?
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Default Re: Bench Rest 223 bolt action- I've got an itch for such a rifle

Neither one of those rifles are 'bench rest' rifles. They both kinda suck.

I'm telling you this as someone who has a 223 bolt gun for a trainer.

Save your money and buy a Ruger RPR, especially if you think you should reload.

Here is a hint: If you think you should role your own rounds; you should.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    Neither one of those rifles are 'bench rest' rifles. They both kinda suck.

I'm telling you this as someone who has a 223 bolt gun for a trainer.

Save your money and buy a Ruger RPR, especially if you think you should reload.

Here is a hint: If you think you should role your own rounds; you should.
    Thanks for the feedback! I'd love a RPR, and have considered it but initially ruled it out because then I'd have to look at adding a different caliber to my reloading. Big picture = More money for dies, higher priced components. Unless I'm mistaken they come in .243, 6.5CM, & 308 - no .223 listed on Ruger's site. I think the RPR is dominating the market. You are hard pressed to find one that isn't a .243 (guess .243 is a bastard child now).

(Juniata County)

The .243 is getting a lot of use in tactical matches. It sounds more like you want a rifle to shoot at a bench, but plan on using it for varmint and predator hunting. If you want a .223 threaded, look at the Mossberg MVP Predator (model with 18.5" threaded barrel, laminate stock, use your AR mags), the Ruger American Predator (22" threaded barrel, plastic stock), Ruger American Ranch (16.5" threaded barrel), Savage Axis SR (if you can find one), Savage Hog Hunter, and I think Tikka has a threaded model as well. There are plenty out there depending on your budget and how much time you want to look. Howa (Weatherby clone) may even have an option for you.
    I have shot quite a few Savage rifles and only had an accuracy problem with a WMR rifle. I have not been behind a Browning. Tikka (Sako action) are very nice too, just more expensive than Savage.
    Most of being smart is knowing what you are dumb at.

I got into bench rest in the 90s. Skipped over everything and bought a 50bmg.
    Those were the days.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I got into bench rest in the 90s. Skipped over everything and bought a 50bmg.
    Those were the days.
    Go big or go home eh?

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hersh5317 View Post
    The .243 is getting a lot of use in tactical matches. It sounds more like you want a rifle to shoot at a bench, but plan on using it for varmint and predator hunting. If you want a .223 threaded, look at the Mossberg MVP Predator (model with 18.5" threaded barrel, laminate stock, use your AR mags), the Ruger American Predator (22" threaded barrel, plastic stock), Ruger American Ranch (16.5" threaded barrel), Savage Axis SR (if you can find one), Savage Hog Hunter, and I think Tikka has a threaded model as well. There are plenty out there depending on your budget and how much time you want to look. Howa (Weatherby clone) may even have an option for you.
    I have shot quite a few Savage rifles and only had an accuracy problem with a WMR rifle. I have not been behind a Browning. Tikka (Sako action) are very nice too, just more expensive than Savage.
    Yes perhaps my use of the term "bench rest" was inappropriate for what I want to do. I think you clarified my intentions to the "T". Thanks!

I've owned nearly all factory rifles and will tell you that the Savage is the best bang for the buck. Savage factory barrels shoot very well. That being said, if you get a pre fit Savage barrel, you will see a big difference in group size.

The Axis action isn't nearly as nice as the Savage/Stevens 200 (Stevens 200 have been discontinued by Savage and replaced with Axis). You can still find Stevens 200 new from time to time. It requires minimum tools and you learn another valuable skill.

Unless you love everything about that "precision carbine" I'd opt to get the least expensive Savage you can locate and upgrade yourself.

You can add a chassis to Savage build and still be under what it would cost you to get into an RPR. Seems like many of the RPR guys are replacing barrels with pre fits, so you are looking at closer to $2k. You can be well under $2k budget with a Savage build and it will shoot very well.

I never owned any Brownings, but I call tell you that the Browning will cost much more than the Savage. Browning will have a more refined action and not much aftermarket support.

Savage won't win any beauty contest, but they are very functional and easy to upgrade.

(Allegheny County)

One of my favorite bolt action rifles that I own is my FN TSR XP USA .223. Very accurate and smooth, and works very similarly to my Winchester Model 70. Doesn't seem as if they make them any more though.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    One of my favorite bolt action rifles that I own is my FN TSR XP USA .223. Very accurate and smooth, and works very similarly to my Winchester Model 70. Doesn't seem as if they make them any more though.
    I watched Nutnfancy do a review on the FN TSR a couple years ago, and it seemed like a nice gun. Don't think they ever made a threaded version though. I think you are correct about dropping it from their lineup. Apparently they caught Colt fever and now don't sell any bolt actions under 2k.

*My Bad the FN SPR A1 is 1,999.00

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast