Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Scotia handgun range: set up my own, closer target?

I went to Scotia today to try out my new (first, never owned a gun before) pistol. I've taken a basic pistol course and have also gone to the Altoona indoor range, so this was basically my third trip. I obtained a hunting license for the purpose of visiting this range.

25 yards is FAR for a beginner! I hit the target some, but I believe I completely missed the backer quite often, or was outside the target on a mess of old holes on the backer.

My question is: Can I take my own stand of some sort (say a big old cardboard box) and set it up much closer than 25 yards? Does anyone know if this is technically permitted at the range? I've heard that sometimes people get yelled at for small infractions of rules at this range. I made sure I only shot 6 rounds at a time. Hardly anybody was there when I was there. I had a good time though. It's really convenient to get there, but, yeah, 25 yards is a bit far for a new shooter.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Scotia handgun range: set up my own, closer target?

Looks like somebody answered my question previously on this thread.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Scotia handgun range: set up my own, closer target?

You can take your own targets to the handgun range to set them up closer than 25 yards, just run it by whoever is running the range that day. If there are more people there than you, co-ordinate your shooting with the others. I have seen it where people use the PGC targets and EVERYONE just walks out to a point about 7 yards away, you will see where people have shot from by looking at where the ground is worn. You are best to let the range master know that you are going to do it. He may come down to watch to make sure everyone is being safe. The rangemasters typically are pretty lenient if they see you are being safety minded and that you talk to them about what you want to do.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member