Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Post Interesting situation

So my friend (lol really) lost her gun in her home, reported it stolen with the police. They made her go down and fill out a report with the detectives. They try and get her to sign different accounts and reports that she left the door unlocked and trying to accuse diferent people. She refused because they weren't her account. They eventually write up correctly. She goes home and finds it inside her home. She calls detective back and says that she finds it and must have misplaced it. He says that she has to bring it in for ballistic testing. She says that she will come in. Within a short time 2 police cars come back to her place and take the gun from her. They give her a receive receipt with out any signatures saying they took the firearm. She called this afternoon (this happened over last night into the early hours) and another detective today told her that she was never going to get it back but that she would have to take up with her detective that comes in at 11:30pm. This sounds crazy to me and I told her to get a lawyer. Is this standard practice?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Interesting situation

Well, it may not have been lost, but it's surely been stolen now. I guess that Lost/Stolen law that philly has on the books is working.

Sadly, I read through the entire OP without looking at the location of the user, and it really came as no shock to see that this is another case of Philly corruption.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

Yep,get a lawyer to straighten out those scumbags...one of them must really like that gun.

(Montgomery County)

I guess the lesson to be learned is not to report your gun lost or stolen if it might only be misplaced.

Personally I can't sympathize because I think misplacing a gun indicates carelessness that might mean the person maybe ought not have a gun.

(Philadelphia County)

The firearm was entered into NCIC as stolen. When she called back and said "oh never mind,'I found it" it has to be verified and taken out of NCIC. There is probably more to this story. Not knowing anyone involved, my first instinct is that it appears that someone wanted this gun documented out of their personal control. You guys can jump all over the Philly PD all you want. Some of the stories that have been told to me by complainants make me go "hmmmmm?"

(Philadelphia County)

The cop that recently stole thirty eight bucks from a handyman makes me go hmmm.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Some of the stories that have been told to me by complainants make me go "hmmmmm?"
    PPD gets a bumb rap on the forum (some of it deserved), but they also have to deal with an inordinate amount of degenerates, OP's friend notwithstanding... she seems to be lacking 'intellectual horsepower'.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    The firearm was entered into NCIC as stolen. When she called back and said "oh never mind,'I found it" it has to be verified and taken out of NCIC. There is probably more to this story. Not knowing anyone involved, my first instinct is that it appears that someone wanted this gun documented out of their personal control. You guys can jump all over the Philly PD all you want. Some of the stories that have been told to me by complainants make me go "hmmmmm?"
    What part of the verification involves seizing it, claiming it needs to have a ballistics check?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    The cop that recently stole thirty eight bucks from a handyman makes me go hmmm.
    He flushed his career drown the drain over a business dispute that he took completely off the tracks, you are correct. But that doesn't mean people who may be involved in criminal behavior get a free pass because there are corrupt cops.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    What part of the verification involves seizing it, claiming it needs to have a ballistics check?
    The cop on the street does not do the verification. The detectives process the weapon confirming the serial # and all. Then every firearm processed (except for turn in programs) goes to the lab for testing. Not fully sure why, but it probably had something to do with cops falsely obtaining or clearing weapons from NCIC. Or ballistic evidence being missed or compromised.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast