Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Pa. town lets code enforcement officers carry guns

http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_10263240

Pa. town lets code enforcement officers carry guns

BEAVER FALLS, Pa.—Officials in one western Pennsylvania town say residents sometimes get upset when code enforcement officers tell them to trim their hedges or clean up junk on their property.

That's why both code enforcement officers in Beaver Falls will be allowed to carry guns.
    It's not clear if the town about 25 miles northwest of Pittsburgh is the only municipality in the state with armed code officers. But Robert Buddenbohn Jr., who heads the Pennsylvania Association of Building Code Officials, says he's never heard of it before. The association includes about 1,000 code officers who work for nearly 1,800 municipalities in the state.

--------------------------------

I have no problem with this.
    TalkPa.net - The Message Board and Forum For Pennsylvania

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Pa. town lets code enforcement officers carry guns

Full text of original article can be found here: http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...0711666843.txt

Are Code Enforcement Officers certified as Law Enforcement Officers by the state? Will they receive annual MPOETC or other training?

(Luzerne County)

I can understand them wanting to carry. But who would be liable if they had to use the gun? The town gave the ok for them to carry while doing the function of code enforcement.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    I can understand them wanting to carry. But who would be liable if they had to use the gun? The town gave the ok for them to carry while doing the function of code enforcement.
    It could be argued that if the town is giving them permission, then the town would be held liable if they needed the gun while acting in an official capacity. Of course, no one will really know until it's tested in court.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Allegheny County)

i have a buddy who is an air quality inspector for the allegheny county health department.

from some of the stories he tells me, i think he's nuts to do that job without having some means of self-defense (not that he would likely be allowed to carry even if he wanted to).

people get ticked off when you tell them they have to stop burning their contruction debris, yard waste, burning the paint off scrap metal, etc. he's had to run back to his car and then come back with the police more than once.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Full text of original article can be found here: http://www.timesonline.com/articles/...0711666843.txt

Are Code Enforcement Officers certified as Law Enforcement Officers by the state? Will they receive annual MPOETC or other training?
    Even if there is no LEO status, I believe Lethal Weapons Training Act (Act235) Certification, at a minimum, is required. I do not think town officials can just say"oh, you can carry your firearm" and it is so. If the need is arising out of employment, as stated, then I believe the Act applies.

Be safe.

Scott

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Shouldn't they have the same ability to carry firearms as we do? I mean I'm jsut saying. We keep saying LEO are no different than us. They are just citizens like us. We say we want our rights and are appaled when it is suggested that we be required to attend training. What's the difference? Does it suddenly make these folks different that they are LEO? I'm just trying to be consistent here.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Shouldn't they have the same ability to carry firearms as we do? I mean I'm jsut saying. We keep saying LEO are no different than us. They are just citizens like us. We say we want our rights and are appaled when it is suggested that we be required to attend training. What's the difference? Does it suddenly make these folks different that they are LEO? I'm just trying to be consistent here.
    i agree with you.

why is someone who can carry a gun on their own time suddently not allowed to carry because they are on the clock? makes no sense to me at all.

but, currently that is the way the law is.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Because they are representing the government in an official capacity. We are not.

They may have to use during the conduct of their required duties. We have no requirements or duty to perform.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Monroe County)

get em certified for CYA type deal. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be responsible for telling people they can't do what they want when they want on their property with no backup
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast