Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: my best guess

(Allegheny County)

Question my best guess

Cleaning around my bench I found 29 pieces of brass -9mm- that got pushed behind something else. I checked them on a wilson gauge and they all said OK. I reloaded them and rechecked them and 7 of them had no intention of head spacing OK. My best guess would be the brass bulged out during the pressing stage. I only saw one that looked bulged by the rim. What do you think?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: my best guess

??? I think I'll give up and go to bed.

(Berks County)

How are you crimping them? If you are crimping with the seating die make sure it's not trying to crimp before the bullet is fully seated.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    Cleaning around my bench I found 29 pieces of brass -9mm- that got pushed behind something else. I checked them on a wilson gauge and they all said OK. I reloaded them and rechecked them and 7 of them had no intention of head spacing OK. My best guess would be the brass bulged out during the pressing stage. I only saw one that looked bulged by the rim. What do you think?
    What do you mean by the "pressing stage"? Resizing, seating, or crimping?

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    I used to have trouble w them pesky 9mm cases..until I bought a 'undersized 9mm resizing die online'..I 4got where I bought it, but it draws'em down a tiny bit smaller than a std 9mm die and seems to resize down closer to that extractor groove..where I USED to get small bulges in some cases. I'm retired and have more time, so I mic every 9mm case after resizing to make sure it is within a couple 1000ths of an average of 10 factory cases AT the groove. Since I have been doing these things I have reloaded a couple 1000 9mm mixed cases w/o much trouble..other than tossing out a FEW which were out of acceptable diameter at the groove. No problemo w head spacing since that. ;-)