Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Dealing with anxiety concerning migrant crisis.

Is it fairly common for 2nd amendment supporters to have anxiety issues? I'm kind of entering this world all on my own---I come from an academic family, who is conservative, but I did not grow up with firearms nor did I have any friends who did (that I knew of). I work in a field where nearly everyone is liberal and few people own firearms or are interested in them or even think they should be legal (software industry). A lot of these folks are what I'd call "happy go lucky" liberals--they think everything's going to be just fine (unless Trump is elected, according to them).

Yet I feel just the opposite. I've been reading a lot and watching a lot lately concerning the migrant crisis in Europe. So, I'm of two minds on this issue. On the one hand, America and the West has probably done more than it should in the middle east creating chaos and making it a war-torn region. It is probably making monsters out of people who otherwise would not have been monsters. The libertarian in me says we really should never have gotten involved in any foreign entanglements. However, we are where we are. We helped create this, BUT...does that mean all Western nations should take in millions upon millions of refugees?

In my opinion, OF COURSE NOT. I have no problem with a few thousand asylum seekers here and there. But there should be extreme limits on it. In other words, I really think pragmatically and in terms of common sense, it should be possible to have compassion for a FEW asylum seekers from war torn parts of the world, and let them assimilate SLOWLY over time. But what's going on in europe? It's insanity! It really looks like suicide to me. And I've spoken with friends in Germany who really don't care, they seem totally fatalistic about it. The idea of a future europe which is mostly Muslim doesn't bother them at all.

What bothers me is this overwhelming ethos in western culture that you're racist to think this is a bad thing. I really don't get this. I KNOW there are tons of great Muslim folks, who have become 100% american and don't want to live like 3rd world savages. That's great. Wonderful. But...I don't get the suicidal tendency to basically want to let an entire culture from a war torn part of the world just completely overrun our countries.

What's the truth? I sometimes don't know who to believe. I'm trying to limit my consumption of news about the matter, because it bothers me greatly. It has more than a little to do with my wanting to stand up for the 2nd amendment, learn how to use firearms and get one of my own. I don't trust the government, and if they continue to let refugees pour in---10, 20 years down the road will I be safe in my own town?

I'm having trouble sorting out how much of this is paranoia and how much of it is rational!
    Last edited by darnskewered; June 20th, 2016 at 03:25 PM.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Dealing with anxiety concerning migrant crisis.

Moderators: Could this be moved to the lounge? Not sure if it really belongs here or not.

Why come here, oh I know, because they can do any damn thing they want,
    and not have to live by OUR rules and laws! And get paid not to work. They can start terrorist groups and not be bothered by the law.
    We have no room here for people like that. We dont want to turn this nation into a third world country. Whats wrong with japan or s.korea?
    I have no sympathy for someone that abuses the system to the point that the good people lose rights.
    Shut the door, seal up all borders. please, no more!!!

I work in software too. I guess they love liberalism until they pay more taxes. Then everyone is a conservative. Do you work at a start up or a small company? I work in the corporate world and liberals are laughed out the door for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingtoAmerica View Post
    I work in software too. I guess they love liberalism until they pay more taxes. Then everyone is a conservative. Do you work at a start up or a small company? I work in the corporate world and liberals are laughed out the door for the most part.
    I work in construction. And when you complain its too hot out (like my son today) you usually
    get sent home for the day, sometimes the week depending on how much you complain.
    And that is without pay. There are no liberals in construction, well at least non union construction.

I thought we were talking about moslems infiltrating our country

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I work in construction. And when you complain its too hot out (like my son today) you usually
    get sent home for the day, sometimes the week depending on how much you complain.
    And that is without pay. There are no liberals in construction, well at least non union construction.

I thought we were talking about moslems infiltrating our country
    I just read the first paragraph and wanted to respond. As far as refugees go, it is bullshit. They should be shipped back and then we should drop a nuke on the entire middle east.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Lol.....I work with a few teachers that have never worked a manual labor job in their life. Whenever I hear them start complaining about the dumbest things and sometime saying "if only the public knew"...... I laugh and generally say something along the line of "seriously....they would laugh at you, try telling a mason who is working their ass off out in the sun all day that your prep is 10 minutes shorter (or whatevever the complaint is) because (insert reason here) and how much it sucks, get a clue".

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Lol.....I work with a few teachers that have never worked a manual labor job in their life. Whenever I hear them start complaining about the dumbest things and sometime saying "if only the public knew"...... I laugh and generally say something along the line of "seriously....they would laugh at you, try telling a mason who is working their ass off out in the sun all day that your prep is 10 minutes shorter (or whatevever the complaint is) because (insert reason here) and how much it sucks, get a clue".
    LOL!!! Happens a lot when going for lunch (wawa). I was afraid to complain to my bosses when I was a kid.
    My dad taught HS 37yrs and never complained. Hes 80 now and still coaches college baseball, in the winter and summer,
    both outside. He doesn't complain. Its this generation, and I'm sure I'm part of the blame (with my boy). I let him get away with too much.

(Chester County)

What you're dealing with here at poofa is a 90% white, Christian, conservative, middle-aged and older, male base. Understand your audience and you'll understand the replies better.

The unregulated entry of aliens, across our borders and the NWO-oriented mind set of our POTUS put our nation at risk from all sorts of nefarious individuals. You are not alone in your concerns about our nation's future. New NICS records have been being set month after month lately. More people are preparing for some sort of black swan event to the point that "prepping" has gone nearly mainstream.

Live your life in such a manner that you, your mother and God would be proud of you, and you'll be just fine. Turn off the tube, put down the phone and step away from the tablet. Go outside, get some fresh air, some exercise and some solitude.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast