Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Visiting the area soon, what to see?

Taking our oldest to a fly fishing camp in Boiling Springs, and if I'm driving 3 hours each way, I think I'd like to look around a bit before returning home.

Recommendations? Gun shops, sites, food...

Thanks in advance.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Visiting the area soon, what to see?

Shumans gun shop in Newville had a real nice selection of long guns (35 min from BS) also big spring creek is somewhat popular for fly fishing as well. Gettysburg is about 35 minutes away as well. If you're into wings, Mt. Holly Springs has the highly regarded Three Pines and that is fairly close, other notable wings can be found at redd's bbq in Carlisle. For barbecue, horners bbq corner (north side of Carlisle) and Freeman's Texas bbq (south side of Carlisle) are good. Iessi noodle in Carlisle is good if you like Asian and miseno II is a good pizza place. Massey's frozen custard and Leo's Ice Cream are both excellent. All four of those places are on West High Street. If you're going to Gettysburg, there is a pizza place by the college I recommend called pizza house, good pizza and subs. Oh, the army heritage center on the east side of Carlisle is worth a visit. Bass Pro in Harrisburg isn't too bad either, but not as nice as Cabelas (1 1/2 hrs away). Let me know what you're interested in seeing or eating and I can get you more reccomendations...
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(Wayne County)

Appreciate the info. Got back from drop off this evening; saw the military museum (well, the tanks and helis, at least) as we drove down 81. Iessi has my interest... not a bunch of Asian food in the poconos...info would be appreciated, be out again on Friday.
    Realized how much of the day gets taken over with doing things for your kids outside your normal venue...wife is from the area, and would visit family, but never had time to have fun...still have little time for personal fun...but the Asian food has struck a cord. Thanks!

(Cumberland County)

(Cumberland County)

Mechanicsburg is a short hop from Boiling Springs, Hellenic Kuzina is awesome Greek food. The Boiling Springs Tavern is no slouch either. Be prepared to pay accordingly though. I'll probably be fishing in Boiling Springs myself most of the week.

Incredible Thai food in Mechanicsburg too, Chalit's and Bangkok Wok are both excellent.
    Last edited by rwb1500; June 22nd, 2016 at 09:50 AM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

+1 on the Boiling Springs Tavern. It's our "very special occasion" place to eat. It's a bit pricey, but everything we've ever eaten there has been excellent. Since you're going to be there anyway, you may as well try it out.

The Three Pines Tavern is a few miles down the road in Mt. Holly if you'd prefer wings. It's easy to find. It'll probably have a bunch of Harleys in the lot & there's a 7' multi colored chicken standing out front on the sidewalk, that's welded together with pieces of sheet metal. Pretty classy!

Gettysburg is close & if you or your son have never been there, it's a must see. Plan on a full day, though.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Wayne County)

Thanks all. Will be looking into all suggestions. Picking him up Friday from the Allenberry. He gets lunch there, but I'll need a fill up for myself.

Much appreciated.

(Cumberland County)

So what did you end up doing?