Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default gun shop checklist: what do I need other than the gun?

I'm about to go purchase my first gun (or, potentially have a conversation with the guys in the shop and determine I want to try a few more first, we'll see). I'm hoping to walk out with everything I'll need to go to the range and enjoy my first shots with it. Here's what I think I'll need:

-The gun itself. I am pretty sure the one I want comes with two mags, a mag loader, certain parts of a cleaning kit (not sure which, maybe just a bore brush?), and a case.
    -Standard cleaning supplies.
    -A target stand. I actually don't know if I need this for sure or not. Anybody go to Scotia? What do I need?
    -Target backers and paper targets.
    -ammo for target practice, and maybe some self defense ammo just to try it out a couple of rounds of it sometime (I am hoping to become comfortable/competent enough with this for home defense and maybe eventually to carry).

I already have earplugs. 32 decibels. Is that a good enough rating?

I don't think I'll bother getting a safe yet. I'm hoping eventually to have a bedside safe. Are there kinds that would fit inside a drawer or are they all the "holster" style where the grip of the gun is visible? Thoughts?
    Last edited by darnskewered; June 17th, 2016 at 09:18 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: new shooter: gun shop checklist (for getting my first gun)

Find yourself a S&W M36 Chiefs Special, thy can be had for around $250, they shoot 38 special, plenty of ammo around, good for front sight training, easy to shoot, easy to carry, easy to clean, they rarely have any mechanical problems, they don't have a safety to deal with in a panic situation, the down side, they only hold 5 rounds, then again, you don't want to go shooting off 17-18 rounds in your home in a panic, you might shoot a loved one, i suggest a shotgun for home defense.

Well that's my suggestion to you, others will be along to give you theirs.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by redeye202 View Post
    Find yourself a S&W M36 Chiefs Special, thy can be had for around $250, they shoot 38 special, plenty of ammo around, good for front sight training, easy to shoot, easy to carry, easy to clean, they rarely have any mechanical problems, they don't have a safety to deal with in a panic situation, the down side, they only hold 5 rounds, then again, you don't want to go shooting off 17-18 rounds in your home in a panic, you might shoot a loved one, i suggest a shotgun for home defense.

Cool thanks for the suggestion...what do I need besides the gun itself though. (see my checklist above) My goal is to walk out of the store with everything I'd need to enjoy it at a range.

If you know the caliber you want, go to an online store and order a case of the ammo you need. Better to have to much than not enough.

Sgammo is a good place to order from

Sgammo.com

You also might want to sign up for a new shooters course, or if you know someone who's been shooting for a while, ask them to join you.

There are plenty of videos on youtube with shooting tips, check some out.

Also, get a ltcf as soon as you can. It makes traveling from place to place easier.

And a good thread to check out.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=7582

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: gun shop checklist: what do I need other than the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by darnskewered View Post
    I'm about to go purchase my first gun (or, potentially have a conversation with the guys in the shop and determine I want to try a few more first, we'll see). I'm hoping to walk out with everything I'll need to go to the range and enjoy my first shots with it. Here's what I think I'll need:

-The gun itself. I am pretty sure the one I want comes with two mags, a mag loader, certain parts of a cleaning kit (not sure which, maybe just a bore brush?), and a case.
    Yes 2 mags are good more are better, but two to start
    solvent, lube, rod, patches, brush (usually all in a kit for starting out)
    -A target stand. I actually don't know if I need this for sure or not. Anybody go to Scotia? What do I need?
    Nor sure if you need this to start out
    Add a staple gun and staples too
    ammo for target practice, and maybe some self defense ammo just to try it out a couple of rounds of it sometime
    Start out with a couple of different brands to see what works well, then go for quantity to save money
    (I am hoping to become comfortable/competent enough with this for home defense and maybe eventually to carry).

I already have earplugs. 32 decibels. Is that a good enough rating? Yes

I don't think I'll bother getting a safe yet. I'm hoping eventually to have a bedside safe. Are there kinds that would fit inside a drawer or are they all the "holster" style where the grip of the gun is visible? If the grip is visible, how safe is it? There are a number of small easy open safes you can secure to a wall or furniture available.

Thoughts?
    Added my thoughts FWIW...

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Basic cleaning supplies and ammo, that's all you really need. Targets = paper plates and backers = any old cardboard, if you want to go the cheap route. One essential piece of range gear is a staple gun and 3/8" staples to put up your targets & backers.

Aside from the gun and those few basics, the best thing you can spend your money on right now is a basic pistol class. You'll learn safety and marksmanship, and then you'll have a better idea of what else to buy.

And very important - post pics and range reports!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by darnskewered View Post

More mags are always better. The loaders are extremely useful.
    Same recommendation as GGHBI
    Doubt you need this. I've yet to need one at any range aside from shooting at a friend's place where he has his own range. After the election, grab a bunch of signs and use those if you still need stands
    Junk cardboard from boxes, and you can print out targets from the internet
    -ammo for target practice, and maybe some self defense ammo just to try it out a couple of rounds of it sometime (I am hoping to become comfortable/competent enough with this for home defense and maybe eventually to carry).
    FMJ for target, hollow points for defense. I recommend putting at least 200 of the very hollow points you expect to use for defense through a semi auto before relying on it feeding properly. Many suggest much more than that. Order online.
    I already have earplugs. 32 decibels. Is that a good enough rating?
    Sure, but if you're shooting at an indoor range you might want the earmuff style ones too. I double my ear pro for indoors. The electronic style earmuffs are awesome.

I don't think I'll bother getting a safe yet. I'm hoping eventually to have a bedside safe. Are there kinds that would fit inside a drawer or are they all the "holster" style where the grip of the gun is visible? Thoughts?
    If getting a pistol, and there are kids in the house, definitely get some sort of locked storage. I have one that opens with an electronic keypad in seconds, they also sell small ones that definitely fit inside drawers, I use the small types for temporary storage in a vehicle.
    Now more about defense loads. What caliber are you looking to buy? I'll weigh in with my beliefs once you answer. All calibers are useful, but some loads always seem to do better for a particular caliber. It's also IMO helpful if your practice ammo has the same weight bullet as your defensive ammo.

(Montgomery County)

Don't forget safety glasses! Not necessarily a gun shop purchase, but perhaps a hardware store along the way. 32NRR should be good, but I tend to double up with foam plugs and ear muffs. Overkill perhaps, but I want to keep my hearing for a long time.

I agree with taking a basic pistol class. Other than that, cleaning supplies (plenty of videos online and probably for your specific model on how to clean), and ammo. Eventually a couple extra mags and a holster.

I agree, most definitely get your License to Carry Firearms, even if you don't plan to carry. It helps avoid legal loopholes and is only $20. Apply at your county Sheriff's office ASAP.

Oh, and read the owner's manual of your firearm cover to cover.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by redeye202 View Post

There's always a risk of shooting a loved one if you don't have a defensive plan figured out for your home. 5 shots is no better or worse than 17+ in that regard. Also, IMO, .38 is way too expensive per shot for someone getting started. Hard to recommend against a striker fired 9mm for bang for the buck, especially used. You can also always choose to not load 17 in a magazine if you don't want to.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Don't forget safety glasses! Not necessarily a gun shop purchase, but perhaps a hardware store along the way. 32NRR should be good, but I tend to double up with foam plugs and ear muffs. Overkill perhaps, but I want to keep my hearing for a long time.

I agree with taking a basic pistol class
    . Other than that, cleaning supplies (plenty of videos online and probably for your specific model on how to clean), and ammo. Eventually a couple extra mags and a holster.

I agree, most definitely get your License to Carry Firearms, even if you don't plan to carry. It helps avoid legal loopholes and is only $20. Apply at your county Sheriff's office ASAP.

Oh, and read the owner's manual of your firearm cover to cover.
    + a million on those points too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast