Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Surviving NYC

(Lackawanna County)

Default Surviving NYC

a few wekks ago, i took my family on a trip to the Bronx Zoo. of course, my kids had a great time; meanwhile, i spent the day in condition RED. as some of you know, i grew up there, and i admit to not being such a great guy in my younger years. it's this fact that keeps me vigilant when i take the rare journey into NYC; i know what to expect from thugs, because i was one.

on another forum i belong, a member asked for some advice; he was going to be staying in NYC for a week, and was bemoaning the fact that he had to leave his Glock 27 home. i figured i was best qualified to give advice; here was mine:

a short list of survival advice from a (former) punk kid from the Bronx:
    carry a knife and some OC; yes, they're not entirely legal, but the worst that'll happen is a cop will just relieve you of them.

buy a Yankees hat, maybe a shirt, to blend in. if you're in queens, make it a NY Mets hat; Yankees gear will get you in trouble. and do not, for the love of G*D, wear anything that says "Boston" on it. do NOT wear a "I LOVE NY" or anything like that; it screams "tourist".

do NOT look up too much: "gosh, honey, these buildings are awfully tall..." and don't point at stuff too much.

if you carry cash, separate it: keep some in your wallet, some in your pockets, some in your shoes, etc. if possible, pay for everything with plastic. don't bother bringing a checkbook, nobody will take yours.

when riding the subway, board the car closest to the stairs to the platform. never board one car, then move to another, unless it's to avoid trouble. do not wear headphones or anything like that.

no jewelry, no jewelry, NO JEWELRY.

get the number of the closest LEO precinct, and find out where the closest hospital is.

do NOT rely on the kindness of strangers. if something happens, there will be hundreds of people who didn't see anything.

do not carry a pack, unless you really have to. no totes, no purses, no fannypacks, no backpacks. carry what you need in your pockets.

avoid closed stairwells if you can. they're as dangerous as elevators during an attack.

only eat hot dogs if they're sabrett's brand. never nathan's.
    i'm thinking of expanding my list, but i thought i'd share what i have so far.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Surviving NYC

I'd say, unless you want to get thoroughly beaten, pistol whipped, and/or body-slammed to the floor resulting in your jaw being fractured, AVOID dealing with NYC Police AT ALL COSTS.

(and thats just looking at THIS week's Police Abuse incidents alone)
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Surviving NYC

I have one... don't go.