Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Im having target issues with my Glock 42

So I take my Glock 42 out to the range on sunday and I set up my target about 20 yards away and start shooting, when I went out to check the target I didnt hit a damn thing I was pissed. My Ruger SR9c was spot on and i know the triggers are night and day and I know i can hit the target but what the piss am I doing wrong. Is 20 yards to far for the G42, or is there a stock trigger bar i can get to lighten up the trigger, I will not buy a aftermarket part for the trigger I want a factory part. Could it be the sights any recomendments would be great Im going to give it another go at it soon and if I still suck with it im going to get rid of it

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Im having target issues with my Glock 42

Move in. Your issues are magnified at that range. Find out what the issue is and then work on it. I think glock factory sights suck and a glock 42 is a lot smaller than I'd care to use at 20 yards too

(Allegheny County)

thanks NathanB what distance should I move the target in to ?

I'd move in to about 7 yards to see how it's actually shooting. 20 yards is tough to figure out the issue.

Then consult:

If you can't correct the shot, then it could be the gun, maybe sights.

(Allegheny County)

I have no problem with mine at 25 yards. On target every shot. I see you live in Alleghney County you can try and shoot mine to see if it's the gun or not.

(Lancaster County)

I would think the Glock would sit in your hand differently also. If you are used to the Ruger, the muscle memory of your hand will try to use the same grip/hold when you use the Glock. Start at 7 yards and only shoot the one gun. Don't switch back and forth until you know for sure what is going on. Of course when you get proficient with the Glock, you may have a rough time going back to the Ruger! Switching guns in one session, or switching back and forth from say a 1911 to a pocket gun can be frustrating at times.

Quote Originally Posted by vetman03 View Post
    I would think the Glock would sit in your hand differently also. If you are used to the Ruger, the muscle memory of your hand will try to use the same grip/hold when you use the Glock. Start at 7 yards and only shoot the one gun. Don't switch back and forth until you know for sure what is going on. Of course when you get proficient with the Glock, you may have a rough time going back to the Ruger! Switching guns in one session, or switching back and forth from say a 1911 to a pocket gun can be frustrating at times.
    Your post makes me want to never buy a Glock.

(Lancaster County)

I don't own a Glock and I am not saying there is anything wrong with them. People do not realize that the grip angles are different between manufacturers. Each may sit in your hand differently. If you are very use to one gun, moving to another brand may take time to adapt. I heard heard the term "Glock Grip" to describe how you have to hold them versus other brands, but again I can not speak first hand on the exact differences. I did notice a difference between SIG, Kahr and a Beretta handguns I have owned in the past.

I've checked out and held a few different Glock models and just hate the way they feel in my hand. The only one I considered buying was a 43, but went with an LCP instead because the 43 is the same size as my Bersa Thunder and I was looking for something more concealable....defeating the purpose of buying it.

They feel like bricks...made of plastic.

(Montgomery County)

The whole "glock grip angle omg" thing is highly over exaggerated. It's quite possible to shoot different handguns well even if they have different grip angles. I have no issues shooting accurately with other handguns even though I shoot glocks most often. Not talking about my own guns, but even picking up a buddies 1911 or whatever after shooting my 19 for an hour is no problem. I always hear people talking about this but honestly it just sounds like excuses. Grip the gun correctly and shoot. You should be able to adjust and get a proper grip and technique after firing a couple mags, regardless of what handgun or grip angle it has.

your issue is trying to shoot way too far. 20 yards with a glock 42? Why??? That's not a gun I would want to engage someone with with 20 yards away. Doing it for fun to see what you can do? Yeah sure. But if you want to practice you should be shooting it at realistic handgun defense ranges like 3, 5, 7, and 10 yards. After you develop good grip and trigger control etc with the gun then you can move our further and see what it does.
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast