Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Question What's the Best place to get Prescription Shooting Glasses near Philly Suburbs?

What's the Best place to get Prescription Shooting Glasses near Philly Suburbs?

I find it hard to find frames that fit, so I'm looking for a brick and mortar store where I can try on frames. Please point me to places where you have had positive experiences, preferably convenient to Philly suburbs.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: What's the Best place to get Prescription Shooting Glasses near Philly Suburbs?

Don't tell me everyone just gets LASIK. Are you just going with contact lernses when you head out to the range?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: What's the Best place to get Prescription Shooting Glasses near Philly Suburbs?

Define "shooting glasses ". Don't over complicate things.

You need shatter resistance glasses that give good coverage especially at the cheek and at the eyebrow.
    You can find styles that meet those needs at almost any glasses shop. I picked a pair of frames at Americas Best eyewear that fit the bill.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA_PB&J View Post
    Don't tell me everyone just gets LASIK. Are you just going with contact lernses when you head out to the range?
    You want brick & mortar. I got my frames online.

(Juniata County)

You have two choices. RX lenses that are ballistic. I know oaklies makes them, but make sure you follow the care instructions.

Or RX lenses that sit behind ballistic frames. Some of the frames can really distort your vision and cause all sorts of weird problems (speech, crazy stuff). I would suggest these as it is usually cheaper. Order Sawflys & stay far far away from UVX.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Define "shooting glasses ". Don't over complicate things.
    The non prescription "shooting glasses" I use now are either MIL-PRF-31013, ANSI Z87+2 or ANSI Z87.1 So something along those lines.

You need shatter resistance glasses that give good coverage especially at the cheek and at the eyebrow.
    You can find styles that meet those needs at almost any glasses shop. I picked a pair of frames at Americas Best eyewear that fit the bill.
    I'm fairly sure "shatterproof" does not mean the lens will not fly off the frame and cut my eye in half, so I don't agree with your description of my needs.

I will be surprised if I need to spend less than the cost of a new AR to get a quality frame with a good fit and good quality impact resistant lenses, hence me reaching out to the local braintrust.

Did the lenses you pick up carry any impact ratings or are they just the usual polycarbonate "sport" lenses?

(Montgomery County)

(Montgomery County)

Good info.
    I certainly learned some new stuff.

(Montgomery County)

To close this one out, I gave up on trying to find impact resistant Rx lenses since none of the "safety" frames fit my face.

I just went with a pair of Oakley frames which provided a good fit/coverage and got Oakley's polycarbonate Rx lenses.

For those with more of a "classic" face shape nogging size, I'm sure the true impact options at Walmart Optical or Pearl Vision Center will suffice.

(Allegheny County)

Several years ago I was all set to spend the big money and get Oakleys made for shooting glasses.
    They even looked up my prescription on the chart and verified that it could be made. A few days later I got the news that Oakley said they had updated that info and my prescription could not be made in that curved lens.

I just wear my normal prescription glasses.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast