Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Revolver newb: Internal lock on revolvers? Suggestions for first revolver?

Long story short, I am looking on getting my first revolver. I wanted to know if anyone knew which manufacturers have internal locks on their revolver models. I know about S&W so far. Is the internal lock a real issue?

Also, any brand/model recommendations or suggestions for a first wheelgun? I have been shooting religiously for over 10 years now but I won't pretend like I know anything besides the basics when it comes to revolvers. Thanks

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Revolver newb: Internal lock on revolvers? Suggestions for first revolver?

I'm guessing you want something for the range, not a carry weapon? SW 686 will do you right. Shoot .357 or .38s. You can remove the lock or buy a used one with no-lock. Not sure if they sell new ones without a lock or not.

Default Re: Revolver newb: Internal lock on revolvers? Suggestions for first revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    I'm guessing you want something for the range, not a carry weapon? SW 686 will do you right. Shoot .357 or .38s. You can remove the lock or buy a used one with no-lock. Not sure if they sell new ones without a lock or not.
    Range, occasional winter carry and for a hunting sidearm so something that I can beat on. Was thinking .357 as I already have a supply of .38spl to offload.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingtoAmerica View Post
    Range, occasional winter carry and for a hunting sidearm so something that I can beat on. Was thinking .357 as I already have a supply of .38spl to offload.
    Ruger GP100 4" barrel they are way over built and will take a forever diet of hot .357 magnum rounds.

(York County)

Some folks will laugh, but Taurus makes some nice wheel guns that are a good value and have internal locks. I prefer their model 66 in .38/.357 and a 4" barrel:

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...rumbseries=MF2
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Ruger GP100 4" barrel they are way over built and will take a forever diet of hot .357 magnum rounds.
    Funny I was just looking at this one on gallery of guns. I have had a couple of bad qc issues with Ruger in the past but I have held a GP before and it felt well built. Thanks for the suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Some folks will laugh, but Taurus makes some nice wheel guns that are a good value and have internal locks. I prefer their model 66 in .38/.357 and a 4" barrel:

I will have to check this out. Thanks

(Bucks County)

I bought a new Taurus 617Ti about 7 years ago. It was a Titanium cylinder 7 shot. When shooting .357 out of it, it would freeze up after 1 shot. Couldn't open it, couldn't fire it, had to wait 10-15 minutes for it to cool down before it would unfreeze. There wasn't much metal between the rounds in the cylinder. It couldn't handle the heat from the .357. I won't buy a Taurus for a defensive weapon again. The only Taurus I would buy is a .22 revolver (Tracker).

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post

My 1st hand gun purchase was a 608 SS8 in .357 and my brother has the same in a 6" barrel and they have both been shooters handling a mixed diet of 158gr and .357 and any .38 special loads. Good budget friendly revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingtoAmerica View Post
    Funny I was just looking at this one on gallery of guns. I have had a couple of bad qc issues with Ruger in the past but I have held a GP before and it felt well built. Thanks for the suggestion

I will have to check this out. Thanks

I am not a huge Ruger fan for their semi auto's but so far my GP100 which is a 1986 production that I purchased used from a member here has been solid and over the last few months I have been working it hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I am not a huge Ruger fan for their semi auto's but so far my GP100 which is a 1986 production that I purchased used from a member here has been solid and over the last few months I have been working it hard.
    I am definitely looking for something that can take some abuse.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast