Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Reloading powder

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    If you are wanting say 150 or 165 gr bullets for both I'd go with just Varget or RE15. If heavier like 180 in the 30-06 then a slower powder would work better not saying a faster powder won't work just that you get better vel. With the slower powder.
    I'll try to simplify the powder choice vs bullet weigh thing , as a very general rule the bigger the case capacity and the heavier for Caliber the bullet use slower powders . This is like I said a very general statement and geared towards bottle necked rifle cartridges In your case the 308 standard bullet weight is 150 it uses a medium burning speed powder . 30-06 bigger case holds more powder normal bullet weight is heavier 165-180 gr so you want a slower powder . 300 win mag even bigger case so use even slower powder .

You don't say if your gonna be just target shooting or hunting and at what normal range so I can't really even guess as to what bullet weight to recommend in either .

180gr speer gold dot with Longshot powder (recommended over the only other powder they had)
    170gr Hornady FP (full penetration?) with the 4451 (only rifle powder in stock)
    168gr speer BT with the 4451.

Still deciding which bullets to use with which Caliber. It was more of a what do they have in stock purchase. Where is the reloading section I didn't see it. Can a mod move me after informing me of it's location lol.
    Last edited by bml215; June 15th, 2016 at 07:02 PM.

(Chester County)

First, wrong forum. This should be in with reloading. Not gun smithing...someone had to be that guy!

Secondly, matching powders/primers/bullets to your gun is like pairing a fine wine with a meal. Has to be just right or you won't get optimal performance.

For .45, I've used Alliant PowerPistol, Winchester AutoComp, and Hodgdon TiteGroup. All have been great when paired with 200-230grain round nose bullets. PowerPistol is snappy, flashy, and super fun. AutoComp is softer but dirtier unless you load in the higher end of the spectrum. TiteGroup is a time tested powder in .45 but is very dense and thus VERY easy to double charge a case if you're not careful. I've also used CCI, Winchester, and Sellier and Bellot primers. CCI is best, hands down. S&B is cheap, but sometimes tough to seat properly.

For .308, I typically use 150 or 180 grain FMJs for blinking paired with and easy ball powder like H414. Varget is also a good choice here but tougher to meter if using a powder thrower. If you don't plan on shooting past 100 yards, get something that meters well and shoots under 2MOA consistently.

For .30-06, I've teied a lot. H4350, H4320, H414, Varget, H335, H4895, etc.

I've found, in my case, my Remington 700 does not like 150 grain bullets no matter what charge weight or powder I put behind it. However. It LOVES the intermediate like 168-178 grainers. I like the hunting ballistic tip offerings from Nosler and those A-Max bullets from Hornady. I've had great success with H414, Varget, and H4350. My rifle shoots a .75MOA group consistently with H414 and 168 grain A-Max. If you use a progressive, you'll want to do what you can to use ball powder like H414. Trust me. Rod/stick powder sucks to meter.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bml215 View Post
    180gr speer gold dot with Longshot powder (recommended over the only other powder they had)
    170gr Hornady FP (full penetration?) with the 4451 (only rifle powder in stock)
    168gr speer BT with the 4451.

Still deciding which bullets to use with which Caliber. It was more of a what do they have in stock purchase. Where is the reloading section I didn't see it. Can a mod move me after informing me of it's location lol.
    Looks like I won't be using 4451 for my .308. I can try the gunshop again or online. A few places had powder on back order on Sunday already, and I'm dreading what it is like now.

(Montgomery County)

Call King Shooter Supply in King of Prussia. Hey still have lots of powders primers and bullets in stock and the owner, Roger, is an encyclopedia of knowledge.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Call King Shooter Supply in King of Prussia. Hey still have lots of powders primers and bullets in stock and the owner, Roger, is an encyclopedia of knowledge.
    Thanks for the tip!

Best place for reloading for me is Shyda's in terms of availability and pricing.

I used to use Varget since I loaded for 223, 243 and 308. As another poster stated, the powder does not meter well. I just sold the last of my Varget and switched to CFE223.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Best place for reloading for me is Shyda's in terms of availability and pricing.

I used to use Varget since I loaded for 223, 243 and 308. As another poster stated, the powder does not meter well. I just sold the last of my Varget and switched to CFE223.

I'm not familiar with Shyda's. Where is it located?

(York County)

I use Varget for my .308 and 30-06

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12