Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: 9mm vs 5.56 AR Pistol Build - Pros and Cons

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    I have Glock pistols and I have 5.56 rifles,I just built a 5.56 AR pistol with 2 different uppers, a 10.5 and an 8 inch barrel - I thought about 9mm in the AR platform -for ease of ammo swapping and magazine compatability -but the 9mm doesn't really gain much from the longer barrel other than the sight radius. If I really wanted a dedicated home defense weapon in a pistol (short rifle with some sort of brace/pseudo-stock -see- www.thordsencustoms.com) I would go with a .300 blackout upper in a short barrel - probably from Palmetto State.
    I went with 5.56 primarily due to ammo cost, and this is primarily a range toy for me (lower than 10 inches, the 5.56 loses significant velocity and "terminal effectiveness" )

My 2 cents... but hey - You get to make up your own mind - ain't it great ?

Cb
    Yeah, everyone seems to love the .300 Blackout.
    I'm not adding another caliber to the mix though. Enough is enough.

As for whether the 9mm is the "best" choice, that really doesn't matter now that I have almost everything I need to assemble one. (as a carbine)
    I just started wondering if it would make any sense to make it into a pistol.

Just looking to get input from those who have either or both. Every little bit of input from personal experience is helpful when I put all that info together.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

I can't find in store or online reasonably priced 300BO. I tend to want to get an upper in it but I can't make the choice to get it.

(Lackawanna County)

If you reload for 300 it's stupid versatile.

(Allegheny County)

Here's my current 9mm pistol build, need a few parts to complete. Only reason I built as a pistol is because I'm waiting on form 1 to come back. This way in the mean time I can shoot and make sure it works and tweak if necessary.

I built this a few years ago because I thought it would be fun, after one range trip I parted it out and sold it. Most uncomfortable AR I've ever shot, maybe with a brace it may be a little better but if you can't shoulder it then it's pretty much useless other than a novelty.

I finally did what I wanted, SBR'ed my 9mm AR, 5.5" barrel, MVB PDW stock and it's my favorite AR to shoot now, it was worth the 200.00 stamp.

I know you said a SBR is out, here's the thing. After July 13 you no longer need CLEO sign off, this makes getting a SBR much easier for an individual, you would have plenty of time to save up some cash. If your leaning towards a pistol the best way to make it complete is to SBR it, then it goes from just a novelty gun to a useful gun that you will actually enjoy shooting. It's just a thought for you.

(Berks County)

If you want 9mm, stick with a hand gun. More maneuverable. Not much gained in a pistol length AR for home defense. Guys I know run the 9mm in an AR to keep costs down shooting or just because they don't have one yet.

The 5.56 in a pistol loses velocity and accuracy at distance, but it blows way bigger holes. It does go throw drywall much better than the 9mm also.

I run a 7" AR pistol and a 10.5" SBR on a tactical team. We qualify starting at 100 yards and I can do very well with both. I can do 200 yards OK with the SBR, but it's a loss at 300 yds.

I just built a 10" .300 BO subsonic. Awesome.
    Trying to figure out how to post a picture....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mudhog92 View Post
    If you want 9mm, stick with a hand gun. More maneuverable. Not much gained in a pistol length AR for home defense. Guys I know run the 9mm in an AR to keep costs down shooting or just because they don't have one yet.

The 5.56 in a pistol loses velocity and accuracy at distance, but it blows way bigger holes. It does go throw drywall much better than the 9mm also.

I run a 7" AR pistol and a 10.5" SBR on a tactical team. We qualify starting at 100 yards and I can do very well with both. I can do 200 yards OK with the SBR, but it's a loss at 300 yds.

It's been proven over and over that a 9mm will penetrate drywall more than a 5.56. 5.56 is a better home defense rnd but your likely to go deaf shooting it indoors.

(Allegheny County)

fix the camp 9

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mudhog92 View Post

Well, I really don't care for handguns in general and since I already have all the ingredients to build a 9mm AR, that's why I began pondering the option of a pistol.

I know I hadn't mentioned it, but I never shoot ANYTHING past 100 yards. Yeah, an AR can hit accurately out to a gazillion yards, but (a) that's too far to walk to set up a target, (b) I can't even SEE the target at 200 yards, and (c) I any real world shooting I will ever likely do will be within 100 yards or less - likely much less.

Since you mentioned drywall, I'll also note that I don't give a crap about "over penetration". It's just my wife and I here in a brick house. The odds of rounds leaving and hitting someone else in another brick house are remote enough for me to not lose any sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    It's been proven over and over that a 9mm will penetrate drywall more than a 5.56. 5.56 is a better home defense rnd but your likely to go deaf shooting it indoors.
    My wife claims that I never hear her when she asks me to do something, so shouldn't be a big deal.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

I have Primary Arms 9mm pistol and I have no problem getting a really good cheek weld. Magpul makes a grip designed for short LOP, which I think helps.

Last edited by eddyb74; June 9th, 2016 at 03:38 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Problem is by law your not allowed to shoulder, if that concerns you.
    Last edited by arjohnson; June 9th, 2016 at 03:31 PM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast