Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Thinking about a higher end 1911

I'm on a 1911 kick. Right now I own a Springfield TRP and a Colt Combat Commander. I'm thinking about upgrading the TRP to a Les Baer or something similar. I prefer the Stainless guns, and that has me looking at the Stainless custom carry or the Concept VI. Both have novak style sights and are 5 inch guns.

I'm also considering the new release Ithaca 1911. Seems like those are hand-built in the similar vein as the Baers, including all the machined parts from billet steel.

Anyone familiar with any of these pistols? This will be a carry pistol. One of the aspects that I'm concerned about is the drop-safe status of these 1911's. I know that many of the Baer 1911's use extra light firing pins with a heavy fp spring to prevent inertial discharges. Are all of the Baers like this? Also, what about the new Ithaca 1911's. Do they have titanium or lightweight fps to prevent inertial discharges?

Any other opinions on these guns would be much appreciated.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Thinking about a higher end 1911

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    I'm on a 1911 kick. Right now I own a Springfield TRP and a Colt Combat Commander. I'm thinking about upgrading the TRP to a Les Baer or something similar. I prefer the Stainless guns, and that has me looking at the Stainless custom carry or the Concept VI. Both have novak style sights and are 5 inch guns.

I'm also considering the new release Ithaca 1911. Seems like those are hand-built in the similar vein as the Baers, including all the machined parts from billet steel.

Anyone familiar with any of these pistols? This will be a carry pistol. One of the aspects that I'm concerned about is the drop-safe status of these 1911's. I know that many of the Baer 1911's use extra light firing pins with a heavy fp spring to prevent inertial discharges. Are all of the Baers like this? Also, what about the new Ithaca 1911's. Do they have titanium or lightweight fps to prevent inertial discharges?

Any other opinions on these guns would be much appreciated.
    Almost all higher end 1911s are going to be series 70 guns. You can't go wrong with a Baer. Take a look at Dan Wesson's Valor, as well.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

As much as I do not like SA as a whole your TRP will work just fine as a carry pistol and will run just as well you will be paying for fluff and buff and not much more in the end which for a carry pistol doesn't make much sense to me.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    As much as I do not like SA as a whole your TRP will work just fine as a carry pistol and will run just as well you will be paying for fluff and buff and not much more in the end which for a carry pistol doesn't make much sense to me.
    One can never have too many quality 1911s
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Montgomery County)

Study exactly what features you want on a 1911. Match barrel? Blended magwell? finish choice? type of sights? When you have it ALL figured out, send it to the Springfield Custom Shop. They will turn your TRP into the exact 1911 that you want. Go spend a lot of time over on the 1911 forum before you shell out the coin.

Thanks for the replies so far. On the one hand, having a hand-fit and built 1911 is something of an heirloom type work of art. I'd also like the piece of mind of carrying/having the best defense tool money can really buy.

On the other hand, the TRP isn't a 'slouch'. Wilson Guy: you have a point about building up the TRP to exactly what I want. The armory Kote is certainly rust resistant, so that's a plus with the TRP already. I can always take off the mag well on the TRP (it's a little bulky and adds weight). I love the super aggressive front strap checkering already on it.

The decision really is: keep the TRP and make it how I want it, or sell it, and spend the difference on a Baer or new Ithaca?

(Dauphin County)

Dan Wesson 1911s seems nice.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. On the one hand, having a hand-fit and built 1911 is something of an heirloom type work of art. I'd also like the piece of mind of carrying/having the best defense tool money can really buy.

On the other hand, the TRP isn't a 'slouch'. Wilson Guy: you have a point about building up the TRP to exactly what I want. The armory Kote is certainly rust resistant, so that's a plus with the TRP already. I can always take off the mag well on the TRP (it's a little bulky and adds weight). I love the super aggressive front strap checkering already on it.

The decision really is: keep the TRP and make it how I want it, or sell it, and spend the difference on a Baer or new Ithaca?
    Keep in mind. Springfield Custom Shop makes hand fit, heirloom quality 1911s all the time. They can take that TRP and make it your true, hand fit custom.

Like others have said, you could study SACS shopping list, decide what you really want, then send your TRP to them. I don't know what their wait time is now. You could figure out what you want done, then give them a call for a time estimate.

If you want to add another 1911, there are plenty to choose from. Many consider the DW Valors & V-Bobs a step above the TRP, but still in the same price range. Baer & Brown have big followings, but I've heard rumors that Les Baer can be quite cantankerous when it comes to customer service.

I have four 1911s. Three mid range, including a TRP; and a Wilson CQB that was built in 2002. Of the four, the Wilson is by far my favorite. Handling it & shooting it never fails to bring a stupid grin to my face.

There's a large price difference between the mid-range guns, like the TRP or Valor, and a Wilson/Guncrafter/Nighthawk. The differences in fit, finish, materials & workmanship are subtle, but very noticeable to one familiar with 1911s. You have to decide if those differences are worth it to you, because in the end, even though my Wilson has functioned flawlessly, so has my $700 SA Range Officer. The RO has maybe 2000 rounds through it, compared to well over 10k for the Wilson, but still something to think about.

With 1911s there's a point of diminishing returns & I think the sweet spot is the TRP or Valor. The higher end 1911s will be nicer, but they probably won't be better.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

I'd go Les Baer but the Turnbull Heritage is beautiful.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast