Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Best Way to Sell In-Lines?

I'm wanting to fund another rifle project and was thinking of selling two Knight In-lines, but wondering what was the best way and also the best time... I've seen some at local gunshows recently that were priced very low and didn't appear to draw much interest from the attendees... I want a fair price for them and thinking it would be better to wait till closer to deer season and perhaps place them on consignment in a local shop or list in local classified or this forum... I know I could get more $$ if I listed them on GunBroker, but I would prefer to sell to someone who can look at them before buying...

I'm posting here for suggestions from others who have had experiences they can share,,, the good and the bad... I would like to try to get away from my lifelong marketing strategy "Buy High, Sell Low and Work on Volume!"...

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience/opinions

TheMoose

Default Re: Best Way to Sell In-Lines?

I'd post it over on HuntingPA...I never had luck selling my "tactical" rifles there because most members are FUDDs on that site.

If you wait til closer to the muzzle loader season, there will be more people selling them at that time, so you will have more competition.

Just price it right as selling is something magical that happens. It's all about supply and demand and you just need to find that right buyer.

I personally would not have it consigned at a LGS as you are going to pay at least 10% to them or more and they typically will need to to do a 4473 if you want to get your firearm back...now that might be different since it's a ML, but some LGS may still require you to do so.

(Lehigh County)

I am glad to see I am not the only one with that marketing strategy...

It is not hard to do the classifieds here, but do include pictures and a good description. The price will depend on demand so it will naturally rise closer to the hunting season, but sometimes you can get lucky and find a buyer that is looking for a specific gun or for a birthday or anniversary gift. Consignments take the work off your shoulders, but at a cost. (I have typically been quoted 10-20% depending on value and marketability)

Unfortunately in-lines are a limited appeal item, so expect to take some time to move them. If you price reasonably, provide a good description with pictures, and are willing to deal a bit, you might find it not as hard as it seems. One advantage to PAFOA is that we generally have a good bunch to deal with, with feedback available on many who have done deals before. Good luck on your sale no matter which way you choose to go.

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I'd post it over on HuntingPA...I never had luck selling my "tactical" rifles there because most members are FUDDs on that site.

If you wait til closer to the muzzle loader season, there will be more people selling them at that time, so you will have more competition.

Just price it right as selling is something magical that happens. It's all about supply and demand and you just need to find that right buyer.

I personally would not have it consigned at a LGS as you are going to pay at least 10% to them or more and they typically will need to to do a 4473 if you want to get your firearm back...now that might be different since it's a ML, but some LGS may still require you to do so.
    Huh? For a black powder rifle? I'd stay away from any store that did this. They either don't know their business or a scamming you for a few extra bucks.

The best time to sell any hunting firearm seems to be a month or two prior to the appropriate season. More folks are likely shopping for in-lines in the 2 months prior or at Christmas. I would not hesitate to post it now but I would be firm on a fair price with the thought that I'd throw it back at the classifieds in the fall. Take into consideration what sale prices are for your model and the fact that it is used, no matter how good the condition.

(Monroe County)

Ask for money. Now is good time.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff