Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default State Game Land #300 - Archbald-> Rifle ranges fenced off and posted

Just got in from Archbald. The rifle range is closed until further notice. It's fenced off and posted closed. Looks like they are replacing the entire bench area including the poles and roof. All the benches were loaded on the back of a trailer and the concrete bases had been dug out.

No idea how long it will be OOS.
    Game Commission website states "Range improvements and closures in effect through mid-summer."

Pistol side was open w/ new backers and freshly cut grass.
    Last edited by ROK; June 1st, 2016 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Pistol side was open

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: State Game Land #300 - Archbald-> Rifle ranges fenced off and posted

Good to know, thanks for posting. I hope they don't replace them with those cinderblock ones I've seen at other SGL ranges, those damn things don't look very comfy
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

Default Re: State Game Land #300 - Archbald-> Rifle ranges fenced off and posted

(Pike County)

Is the shotgun area open or is the whole range closed?

(Lackawanna County)

Just called the Northeast Region office in Dallas, and the gentleman I spoke with stated "THE ENTIRE RANGE IS SHUT DOWN".
    Rifle, pistol and shotgun. The range will re-open in August.

Quote Originally Posted by ROK View Post
    Just called the Northeast Region office in Dallas, and the gentleman I spoke with stated "THE ENTIRE RANGE IS SHUT DOWN".
    Rifle, pistol and shotgun. The range will re-open in August.
    I'm curious as to why they are tearing out the rifle benches? They were fairly new. The whole range wasn't in bad shape actually. They could use some new tables / benches for the pistol area though. I wonder if they receive money (via Pittman-Robertson?) that they have to spend on these types of renovations?

(Lackawanna County)

IMG_20160615_161649_zpsfu52ewcj.jpg
    Picture from Wednesday, June 15. Game Commission CO said they hope to have it (the rifle side) up and running by the end of this month. When the rifle side is completed, they will then start work on the pistol side. Plans are for benches, a 10 and 25 yard area and covered. He said it will be the nicest range in their system. Asked if the rifle range will look like the Suscon range with the boards hanging over the bench to limit firing over the berm (Hate that range. Feel like I'm shooting out a gun port), and he said no. Good.

Looks to be moving right along. Thursday they were working on the roof decking in the rain.
    Last edited by ROK; June 17th, 2016 at 08:54 AM. Reason: spelling at 5 AM

(Wayne County)

Thanks for the update. Looking good.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
    Thanks for the update. Looking good.
    Stopped by to checkout the progress. Long range rifle needing pads poured and benches mounted. Medium rifle side has roof, pads poured and most of the benches, pistol side hasn't seen to much work as of yet.

Wow. I'm impressed. Looks like they expanded & covered the 50 yard range too, since that was always backed up with .22 rifle shooters and youngsters. If they are going to cover the pistol side too, I'll be blown away.

Hopefully they'll patrol this more for people without hunting licenses or range permits then. And, I hope people take care of it like it was their own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast