Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help With Importing Firearms

Hi All,

Firstly let me introduce myself.

My name is Michael Crust and I am currently living in the UK. England to be quite precise.......yes I’m a “Redcoat” but, I am however married to an American and have been for 21 years and we have a most wonderful daughter of 9 who is also keen to hunt with a bow!

I need help please? We are this year coming home to live in the USA permanently. Me on a green card and obviously my wife and daughter are US citizens. We are going to live in Glenmoore, Chester County where we have a property.

I have been shooting for over 40 years both rifle and shotgun and also pistols before we lost them in 1997. I know our laws for shooting both deer and game are entirely different and indeed responsible firearms ownership but it is a huge part of my life and one I want to long continue and be a part of.

The help I so desperately need is on getting my firearms into the US either by recommending a dealer close to Glenmoore or, a lawyer to act on my behalf as dealing with all of the appropriate forms from the ATF seems a bit of a minefield.

I have 5 sporting rifles that I would want to bring along with 1, or possibly 2 revolvers (not with me directly but shipped ) that I own for the purpose of “Humane Dispatch”
    I do also have 4 suppressors and they will, I understand be a problem! We hunt with them all of the time over here and it’s sometimes considered rude not to do so. England is a lot smaller and people live quite close to each other and we shoot deer all year round so noise abatement can be an issue. I’m more than prepared ,all be it reluctantly to leave them here for the ease of complication but if it can be done then great . I know of the $200 tax payable on each of them.

So, if anybody is able to help with any advice, or, recommendations or contacts please, please let me know. I get one shot at this and consequently cannot afford any mistakes so want to have it done right first time by somebody that knows.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to read this post. And I look forward to meeting some of you I hope on the forum. Thank you.

Warmest regards to all,
    Mickey308

(Warren County)

Default Re: Help With Importing Firearms

Welcome to PAFOA and PA!

Pennsylvania does not have a registration for guns.
    There IS a record of sales database that the PA state police maintains.

Private sale of long arms ( rifles & shotguns) between individuals are not required to be recorded by any government agency.
    Private sale of handguns between individuals must go through a Federal Firearms License dealer. The state police paperwork is filled out at that time, as well as a background check.
    Purchasing of any gun through a retailer requires the background check and the paperwork for the police.

Many other states do not require any paperwork at all on any sale between individuals.

With that out of the way....

I moved here from another state and brought my firearms with me and did zero paperwork.

The national border.... I moved to Germany and back with zero paperwork.
    I found out later that I would have been in deep doo-doo had der german polizei been aware of my handguns.

Bottom line......... there are over 300,000,000 guns in the USA.
    .GOV does not know who has what guns.

I tend to mind my own business and NOT ask permission for actions I don't think .GOV should be involved in.
    Your mileage may vary...
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(York County)

Welcome to the USA. We welcome responsible hunters and gun owners here.

Importing sporting firearms is not too difficult. Google the phrase importing guns to the USA to find dealers who will do this. The one I know of is called Simpson and Co., but I suspect some closer to your new home in Chester Co. can do it as well. Once the guns are in the US you'll have them shipped to a local dealer to fill out the paperwork and have your ownership transfer approved rather quickly.

Other threads on this forum have dealt with permanent noncitizen residents and gun ownership. Safe to say, it should be no problem as a permanent US resident. Get your Pennsylvania hunting license and that also is a qualifying factor for gun ownership as well.

The only wrinkle may be having to take a hunter safety course again (unless you have proof of doing it in the UK).

(Allegheny County)

I don't know about importing your firearms, but I'm fairly certain you're going to be out of luck on the suppressors. I don't believe your normal citizen has been able to import suppressors since 1968.

Welcome the the US, and the state of Pennsylvania!

(Northampton County)

Although we don't ban any guns (almost, there's a couple accidental quirks), I think the silencers might be a bit of a problem. It takes months to get them registered and failure to do so is a big deal. I don't know if ATF will register them to someone that lives in the UK. And you can't just bring them and wait to register them, it's serious prison time. I'll wait for advice from some of our FFLs but I would sell them in the UK and start over when you get here.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    Welcome to the USA. We welcome responsible hunters and gun owners here.

Importing sporting firearms is not too difficult. Google the phrase importing guns to the USA to find dealers who will do this. The one I know of is called Simpson and Co., but I suspect some closer to your new home in Chester Co. can do it as well. Once the guns are in the US you'll have them shipped to a local dealer to fill out the paperwork and have your ownership transfer approved rather quickly.

Other threads on this forum have dealt with permanent noncitizen residents and gun ownership. Safe to say, it should be no problem as a permanent US resident. Get your Pennsylvania hunting license and that also is a qualifying factor for gun ownership as well.

The only wrinkle may be having to take a hunter safety course again (unless you have proof of doing it in the UK).
    Get your Pennsylvania LTCF (license to carry firearms) too. Issued by Chester county sheriff

(Northampton County)

Yeah, we carry sidearms here. Approaching 1 out of 8 of us. And you need LTCF to take handguns to places other than the range (and a few other places) by car. $20. I think it takes 15 minutes in Chester but I could be wrong. Some places take up to several weeks.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Berks County)

You should have no problem with your guns.... Unfortunately the suppressors will never make the trip. The only way to import suppressors are listed below:
    - being imported or brought in for the use of the United States or any department,independent establishment, or agency thereof or any State or possession or any political subdivision thereof, or
    - being imported or brought in solely for use as a sample by a registered importer or registered dealer.

But once here, you can buy US made suppressors and you will be back in business. Sell them now and use the money to buy new over here. And welcome to Pennsylvania. If you get hungry for some home style fare, I can suggest some great restaurants that you will find comforting and familiar.

You will have to file ATF forms to import your firearms. Hopefully you are not coming in via New York City airports as that will be a problem with your revolvers. Supressor is another matter and probably not possible.

If you miss home, go to the Whip Tavern in Springdell Chester County. About as close to an English pub as you will find on this side of the pond. Beautiful area too.
    Right of citizens to bear arms ...shall not be questioned.

(Bucks County)

Unless your firearms are extremely valuable or have a lot of sentimental value its not worth importing them. And suppressors sorry your SOL.

There is another ongoing thread here where people are claiming (not me) a non citizen can't even touch a firearm without a green card (unless you have a hunting license).

A non citizen trying to import a firearm sounds like a BIG hassle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast