Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default semi-auto ban question

question, if obama where to get the white house election in november and the next semi auto ban gets implemented. And lets say I have a complete lower assembled already, Would i be able to buy the M4 upper? or would that be banned awell?

Default Re: semi-auto ban question

When most people vote McCain, your questions will be moot.

Stay well.

---elston

"I have always been fond of the West African proverb: 'Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.'" - Theodore Roosevelt, January 26, 1900.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! - King Leonidas I, 480 B.C.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. - modern adage.

That's a good question spraynpray, sadly there's not much of an answer. If a ban that was like the previous was enacted, then the answer would be YES, you would be able to buy the upper, or all parts needed to make whatever upper you wanted (with exceptions to flash hiders, lengths, etc). The problem is, we don't know what the legislation would actually say, so it's possible that you could have lower, but wouldn't be able to purchase parts. It is the lowered that is considered the firearm, and if that wasn't the only part that they had to have registered, etc, it would be a huge headache to accessorize or change up your AR out of preference or necessity. So I guess the answer is, if the ban was the one that was enacted before, yes, you would be able to buy the upper. If the ban is something that is new and worded differently, all bets could be off.

(Carbon County)

any sort of new ban would have to be the post-no-ban concept, where sales of serial numbered items (lowers) after date XXXX would fall under whatever level of horrid control is initiated. Either prohibition, or prohibition with exceptions.

It's likely we would wind up going back to the '5 evil features' and magazine capacity limitations for newly constructed magazines. Now with one billion AR mags floating around, the supply will be sufficent for a while, although prices will change right away.

existing items would be more desirable "pre-post-no-ban" (geeze these are getting long and tired), and therefore command a price.

I suspect magazines of extended capacity and the 5 evils would be seen, along with shut down importations of specific items expanded.

Worst case is some items become taboo, where what exists, is it....

Uppers and the like would be hard to ban, as it would be almost impossible to discover manufacture dates, etc in order to properly control them.

I would agree possession of a pre-post-no-ban receiver would likely be ok , beyond some horrid stretch of the imagination, as it's considered a firearm from day one, not from day of full assembly, nor can that be determined really.

(Allegheny County)

That's why I tell people if you want one buy it now. If you wait you may be out of luck getting a semi-auto. I can walk into almost any gun shop and there are black rifles in the racks. I remember when the first one went down. Before Clinton even put his signature on the bill every shop around me was sold out of anything semi auto.
    There are so many stupid people in this country I am not so sure Obama couldn't be elected.
    I remember when people wanted change in 1976. Well we got 12% unemployment, 16% mortgages, 20% personal loans, and gas lines with $3.00 gas. Yep, I remember paying $3.15 for premium for my 65 GTO in 1979-1980.

(Jefferson County)

Since the "upper" isn't the firearm - I doubt you'd have a problem with that. Its the lower(the actual receiver) and the firearm as a whole that you'd have to worry about.

Besides that, the gun issue is one the Dems do not want to touch anytime soon on the federal level. Right after the VATech shooting they said all over the news that they dont want to address the issue of guns because they lost the huose and senate back in the mid 90's because of the AWB. Now with the SCOTUS backing individual rights - the federal bans are a moderately cold subject. You have more to worry about on the state level than federal.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 19th, 2008 at 02:13 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ALS View Post
    *snip*
    There are so many stupid people in this country I am not so sure Obama couldn't be elected.
    *snip*
    Just as an aside, there will be smart people voting for Obama as well. Don't forget, this board is dedicated to guns and gun ownership, and while Obama opposes that, he isn't just a single issue pony. Some of what he says resonates with people and not all of those people are idiots. I disagree with most of his ideas, but I won't denigrate those who believe in him.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

No one can divine future events, but we can examine similar situations in the past.

Proving you finished construction of a previously-purchased receiver would be extremely difficult since the legal status of a stripped receiver is exactly the same as a fully assembled firearm.

What I *would* be concerned about is the availability of parts when the imminent dark age arrives on 20Jan2009. Particularly anything imported.

From the likelihood of extinction perspective, title 1 firearms ("assault rifles" in particular) basically fall into two broad groups: imports and domestic manufacture.

Summary: as long as you have all the necessary parts before January 2009, you should be okay.

Domestic manufacture is under the aegis of the legislature in general, which means anything that could impact domestic firearms and related periphery would have to go through the full lawmaking process before anything becomes law. Since so many people are involved, it has the effect of moderating the extreme fringe elements out in which case cooler heads generally prevail.*
    Imports are controlled by the President, and the President has almost exclusive control over this area. The president can stop the flow of arms and ammunition into the US without Congressional approval at any time, for any reason. This is exactly what happened to the Chinese AKs in 1989.

Right now many Dems haven't forgotten about the Congressional cleanout resulting from the 1994 ban, but may be emboldened with if Obama moves into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Summary: as long as you have all the necessary parts before January 2009, you should be okay.

*With the exception of "re-interpretation" of various laws by certain governmental branches that intentionally and unnecessarily criminalize certain activities and material possessions.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Allegheny County)

IF PA house and senate get any more anti-gunner than we have now, in the next election cycle. PA could out do any Federal ban, with a new PA HB 30 getting passed into law.

Did everyone forget the anti-gunners have said they are focusing Gun Contol on the state level.......... because of the resistance now at the federal level.

Go read a few of the current ANTI-GUN proposed legislation in PA that will be sure to be reintroduced with new bill numbers next session. By the same AG reps that most gun owners won't do anything to help get unelected.

http://acslpa.org/n-legislative/anti...ry_3_25_08.htm
    HB 30 - Assault Weapon Ban, prohibition, registration, penalties (Amend 18 Pa.C.S.)

INTRODUCED BY FRANKEL, D. EVANS, BISHOP, WHEATLEY, YOUNGBLOOD, COHEN, BENNINGTON, GERBER, JAMES, MYERS,
    STURLA, WILLIAMS, CRUZ, CURRY, GALLOWAY, JOSEPHS, KIRKLAND, LEACH, M. O'BRIEN, PASHINSKI AND ROEBUCK

This is an extremely bad bill. It will make it illegal to possess a huge number of common firearms now owned and used by NRA competitive shooters and many other law abiding gun owners in PA. This bill makes the following unlawful:

1) To own, use, possess or sell an unregistered “assault weapon”.

2) Any accessory such as any detachable magazine over 10 rounds, barrel shroud, folding stock, thumbhole stock, telescoping stock, muzzle break or muzzle compensator. These parts described above are defined as “conversion kits”. Possession of conversion kits or components carries the penalty of first degree felony.

3) To keep your “assault weapon” you MUST register it with the state police every year, pay a registration fee every year and undergo a complete background check every year. You will be required to safely and securely store “assault weapons” pursuant to regulations. You will be legally permitted to use the “assault weapon” only on your property or duly licensed firing range.

When transporting an “assault weapon,” you will only be allowed to travel directly to and from certain locations (without intermittent stops) and with special storage requirements.

Your registered “assault weapon” will have zero resale value, as you will be banned from selling, trading or transferring it. Someone will be allowed to inherit it provided they comply with all the above requirements within 30 days. The only way to dispose of your “assault weapon” will be to turn it over to the state police for destruction or permanent disabling so that it is incapable of discharging a projectile. Note: the state police will be allowed to perform a compliance inspection at your home once a year to ensure that you are not violating any provision of this law. If you are found in violation, the penalty is a third degree felony.
    If this or a similar PA bill would get passed its much worse than any federal proposed ban would ever be, and don't forget Philly tried to implant there own version of “assault weapon" ban.

How many people get into trouble with federal firearm laws violations compared to PA firearm laws on PAFOA?

If you didn’t know anything about the 30 plus anti-gun bills listed in PA off that web site, you need to watch what is happening in Harrisburg besides just DC.

Ahhh. HB30 another DImmokrat wet dream.

THey obviously missed the verdict of Heller............ Lawsuits galore would ensue, public outrage .

It LOOKS good on their "record" and that's all they care about, whether it made it or got squashed . Come election time they can say "I supported Blah blah blah" .

Note: the state police will be allowed to perform a compliance inspection at your home once a year to ensure that you are not violating any provision of this law. If you are found in violation, the penalty is a third degree felony.
    AHhh another bomb.

BY accepting your Individual rights of the 2nd they conclude that you have no need for the 4th.

ANother Lawsuit. More outrage.

If they wanna push , They'll find out what happens when you push too much.

I won't lay a finger on them, BUT I'd have no problem driving a paper stake through their hearts!
    Last edited by Stooperzero; August 19th, 2008 at 05:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast