Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Delaware CC

(York County)

Default Re: Delaware CC

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    CCW is prohibited in state/national forests, Wildlife Management Areas and State Parks. Delaware is full of these areas large and small including and especially along stretches of shore line.
    Thanks! I did miss that one, and after checking the map there is one just north and just south of where we're going that the highway goes through, so I need to stay put once I get there! lol

Quote Originally Posted by mountaineer1673 View Post
    he has an out of state permit allowing CC.
    That is the law. Don't blame our current politicians though. It has been the law since 1911 !!

By the way, you can now open carry in Dover. This was an old grandfathered law from before preemption. It was repealed last year.

Nothing specific in law says gun has to be on dashboard or seat. Law just says you can't carry concealed " on or about the person". So in a holster would not be concealed. Under the seat or in a glove box within reach would be concealed.

The regulation regarding state parks is being challenged in court right now. The 2014 state Supreme Court ruling unanimously declaring carrying a gun openly to be a fundimental right will hopefully come in to play. It was actually the reason Dover repealed its open carry law.
    Right of citizens to bear arms ...shall not be questioned.

nice thread

will be traveling to delaware (thought maryland) later this month)

plan to bring an xds with 5 round mag in magwell and extra 7 rounder
    Montani Semper Liberi

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by clarencecoffee View Post
    Nothing specific in law says gun has to be on dashboard or seat. Law just says you can't carry concealed " on or about the person". So in a holster would not be concealed. Under the seat or in a glove box within reach would be concealed.

I agree that DE law does not state that it must be on the seat or dashboard, but it is my understanding that while in a vehicle, it must be “in plain view”.

I’d be leery that a LEO would consider a handgun “in plain view” if it was in a holster and on your hip during a stop.

(Delaware County)

Looks like Delaware changed policy on carry in state parks and wild life areas, after a state supreme court ruling in 2017 although the language seems contradictory. It's especially confusing because there are often what are listed as prohibited areas within non-prohibited areas, e.g. a playground within a state park. What do ya'll think?

From the DE website https://dnrec.alpha.delaware.gov/firearms-regulations/

Overview of the Regulations
    The regulations, pursuant to the Supreme Court ruling, state that visitors may legally possess firearms, as allowed by Delaware law, in state parks, wildlife areas and forests (see an online map of areas) unless they are prohibited by law due to a past conviction for a violent crime, active Protection from Abuse Order, or mental health commitment. This includes, for example, trails, unguarded beaches, parking lots, and vehicles.

The proposed regulations prohibit firearms only in certain public facilities and designated areas such as park offices, visitor centers, nature centers, bathhouses, restaurants and snack bars, stadiums and facilities while used for events, concerts and festivals, museums, zoos, stables, educational facilities, dormitories, playgrounds, camping areas, swimming pools, guarded beaches, and water parks. These designated areas are marked with appropriate signs.

The regulations allow holders of valid Delaware concealed-carry permits to carry within parks, including designated areas, provided only that the permit be produced upon request. The regulations would also allow active-duty law and qualified retired law enforcement officers to carry anywhere within the parks and other areas affected by Supreme Court decision.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(York County)

What about reciprocity state (utah) permits?

(Delaware County)

For the most part DE is very friendly, I was on Rt 13 when some jackass decided to run into me. We called the police and as the damage was low on my car and I did not want to print while showing or looking at damage. I told the Trooper, I have no duty to inform you but would like to let you know that I am legally armed. He just said OK, where did he hit your car. YMMV

NOBODY

That is the law. Don't blame our current politicians though. It has been the law since 1911 !!

By the way, you can now open carry in Dover. This was an old grandfathered law from before preemption. It was repealed last year.

The regulation regarding state parks is being challenged in court right now. The 2014 state Supreme Court ruling unanimously declaring carrying a gun openly to be a fundimental right will hopefully come in to play. It was actually the reason Dover repealed its open carry law.
    Carry in parks is now legal. We won the case.
    Right of citizens to bear arms ...shall not be questioned.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    Looks like Delaware changed policy on carry in state parks and wild life areas, after a state supreme court ruling in 2017 although the language seems contradictory. It's especially confusing because there are often what are listed as prohibited areas within non-prohibited areas, e.g. a playground within a state park. What do ya'll think?

From the DE website https://dnrec.alpha.delaware.gov/firearms-regulations/

Overview of the Regulations
    The regulations, pursuant to the Supreme Court ruling, state that visitors may legally possess firearms, as allowed by Delaware law, in state parks, wildlife areas and forests (see an online map of areas) unless they are prohibited by law due to a past conviction for a violent crime, active Protection from Abuse Order, or mental health commitment. This includes, for example, trails, unguarded beaches, parking lots, and vehicles.

The proposed regulations prohibit firearms only in certain public facilities and designated areas such as park offices, visitor centers, nature centers, bathhouses, restaurants and snack bars, stadiums and facilities while used for events, concerts and festivals, museums, zoos, stables, educational facilities, dormitories, playgrounds, camping areas, swimming pools, guarded beaches, and water parks. These designated areas are marked with appropriate signs.

The regulations allow holders of valid Delaware concealed-carry permits to carry within parks, including designated areas, provided only that the permit be produced upon request. The regulations would also allow active-duty law and qualified retired law enforcement officers to carry anywhere within the parks and other areas affected by Supreme Court decision.
    Carry in parks is now legal. We won the case.
    Still seems a bit confusing, Can you provide clarity?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast