Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default sale and transfer question

I sold a pistol on Gunbroker yesterday.

The guy that bought it also lives in PA and is also an FFL

He said he will fax me a copy of his FFL and that I can ship the pistol directly to him and theres no need to go via my own FFL.
    He said I should ship it via USPO with tracking and delivery confirmation.
    He also said he will pay via paypal but will list the payment as being for car parts because they have no option to pay for guns

Is this all correct and above board?

The guy has a good rating on gunbroker so im sure its fine, but I've never sold a firearm before, and I just got my rights restored this year,
    so I really want to make sure I do everything exactly according to the letter of the law.
    Last edited by skyjerk; August 19th, 2008 at 07:27 AM.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: sale and transfer question

Yes provided his FFL is of the proper type. A C&R (03) FFL can only do C&R firearms. you must ship it via a common carrier, Eg: FEDEX, UPS and follow their rules. Generally their rules require express overnight delivery. about $50
    He can ship to you via USPS but you can't ship to him via USPS.

Quote Originally Posted by skyjerk View Post
    I sold a pistol on Gunbroker yesterday.

The guy that bought it also lives in PA and is also an FFL

He said he will fax me a copy of his FFL and that I can ship the pistol directly to him and theres no need to go via my own FFL.
    He said I should ship it via USPO with tracking and delivery confirmation.
    He also said he will pay via paypal but will list the payment as being for car parts because they have no option to pay for guns

Is this all correct and above board?

The guy has a good rating on gunbroker so im sure its fine, but I've never sold a firearm before, and I just got my rights restored this year,
    so I really want to make sure I do everything exactly according to the letter of the law.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    A C&R (03) FFL can only do C&R firearms.
    He can ship to you via USPS but you can't ship to him via USPS.
    What is C&R?

This is a fact? I definitely can not use the US Post Office? I want to triple verify this.
    Last edited by skyjerk; August 19th, 2008 at 07:46 AM.

(Tioga County)

C&R curio and relic. black powder and such the BATFE maintains a list of approved of C&R firearms

What is C&R?

This is a fact? I definitely can not use the US Post Office? I want to triple verify this.

(Tioga County)

you can verify the FFL on the BATFE website, sorry I don't have a link. a special note unless the addresses match via BATFE the License and the shipping address, NO SALE!

(Carbon County)

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Check FFL's here.

Make sure it's 100% up and up. Consider requiring signed copy mailed to you, some people do that as an extra layer of security, although many don't like the extra time and effort.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by incynr8 View Post
    https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Check FFL's here.

Make sure it's 100% up and up. Consider requiring signed copy mailed to you, some people do that as an extra layer of security, although many don't like the extra time and effort.
    As noted, check on the EZ check site.
    Having a copy mailed to you provides zero extra protection and many FFL's will NOT do it (as advised by the ATF to not send copies to non-FFLs)

All you need os the FFL # and the EZ-Check to confirm the lic is good and the licensed address to ship to.

As also pointed out previously. You can ship direct to the FFL via common carrier. You can NOT ship via the US Mail (unless you yourself are an FFL)

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

He can ship to you via USPS
    Correction required here: unless you are also an 01 (Dealer) FFL, he cannot mail a handgun to you. Unless you have an FFL yourself, no one can ship a firearm to you of any kind (the exception is the return of your firearm by a gunsmith or manufacturer after you've sent it to them for service and the work is completed).

Summary:

You can FedEx, UPS, etc., a handgun of any kind to an 01 (Dealer) FFL (yes, there are other FFLs, but let's keep it to the 01 and 03, shall we?). You cannot mail (USPS) a handgun to anyone.

You can mail, or FedEx, UPS, etc. a long gun to an 01 FFL.

If the firearm is on the Curio & Relics list, or is more than 50 (fifty) years old, you can ship (long guns USPS or UPS or FedEx, etc., handguns via UPS, FedEx, but not USPS) to an 03 (Curio & Relics) FFL.

In your case, you must FedEx or UPS your handgun to that 01 FFL, at the address that is on his/her license only! Using the FFL EZCheck linked above is more than prudent.

I have a pistol awaiting FedEx pickup for shipment to an 01 FFL at his licensed address as I type.

Regards,

Walt
    Author,
    The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by wjkuleck View Post
    Correction required here: unless you are also an 01 (Dealer) FFL, he cannot mail a handgun to you. Unless you have an FFL yourself, no one can ship a firearm to you of any kind (the exception is the return of your firearm by a gunsmith or manufacturer after you've sent it to them for service and the work is completed).

Summary:

You can FedEx, UPS, etc., a handgun of any kind to an 01 (Dealer) FFL (yes, there are other FFLs, but let's keep it to the 01 and 03, shall we?). You cannot mail (USPS) a handgun to anyone.

You can mail, or FedEx, UPS, etc. a long gun to an 01 FFL.

If the firearm is on the Curio & Relics list, or is more than 50 (fifty) years old, you can ship (long guns USPS or UPS or FedEx, etc., handguns via UPS, FedEx, but not USPS) to an 03 (Curio & Relics) FFL.

In your case, you must FedEx or UPS your handgun to that 01 FFL, at the address that is on his/her license only! Using the FFL EZCheck linked above is more than prudent.

I have a pistol awaiting FedEx pickup for shipment to an 01 FFL at his licensed address as I type.

Regards,

Walt
    Not to mangle the thread any further..

To the bold part - Long guns can be shipped or mailed private to private within the same state without an FFL barring any state/local prohibitions(PA has none). Also CMP sales are exempted in that(barring state/local laws). They may ship from their OH or AL depots straight to your door.

========

To the OP,

The pistol must be shipped via common carrier(Fedex, UPS, DHL, Roadway) to a FFL. It doesn't have to go FFL-to-FFL, but some receiving FFL's require it be sent by one.

You must verify the guy's supposed FFL license is good, you can do so at the BATF website. If this character lacks a storefront - I'd demand fax/scanned ID matching the person registered to the FFL #.

If the license is C&R - only C&R stuff can be shipped to him.

or,

You can go the easy route - take it to your favorite FFL and let him/her handle the shipping.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 19th, 2008 at 08:58 AM. Reason: frig'n typos... not enuff coffee
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

This part would worry me, maybe not for a small amount but definitely for the price of a pistol. Paypal is notoriously anti and if you had any problems with the payment, like the buyer putting in a dispute, you'd be on your own. I had a problem with a ebay transaction that had taken place 4 months previous and they froze the money I had in there because the other person claimed they never received it. This was AFTER the buyer had acknowledged receipt and feedback. If I didn't keep all correspondence I would have been screwed. I doubt very much if something like that were to happen with your transaction they would be very sympathetic once it was known what the transaction was actually for. If I were you I'd want a USPS money order before shipping.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast