Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Where to shoot outdoors within 2 hour drive? Not dcnr ranges.

Wow, looks like a REALLY nice range. As a matter of fact it is nicer than any club I have been a member of. I bet the state put a lot of tax money into the range.
    range 3.jpg

Hmmm... I wonder what might be posted on that bulletin board. I bet it's announcements to the next fire company chicken bar-b-que!
    Range 1.jpg

What's this? More range rules maybe?
    range 2.jpg
    Last edited by MT1; June 28th, 2016 at 08:23 AM.

(Tioga County)

It applies to any range out there, there are rules and if you do not follow them, you get bounced or there is some consequence.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Wow, looks like a REALLY nice range. As a matter of fact it is nicer than any club I have been a member of. I bet the state put a lot of tax money into the range.
    range 3.jpg

Hmmm... I wonder what might be posted on that bulletin board. I beat it's announcements to the next fire company chicken bar-b-que!
    Range 1.jpg

What's this? More range rules maybe?
    range 2.jpg
    It is a very nice range. I didn't realize this was a little pine state park until now. They had that range closed for over a year and spent tons of money improving it. You are right the rules are clearly posted (including no shotgun at backers) on the large bulliten board as you walk into the range. I've been there many times and have read it more than once. I don't shoot there often, because of the rules on mag limits. If I am fishing in the area I'll stop and shoot a little though.

(Lycoming County)

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=134773

Here's a link to a thread about the lpsp range with some more pictures from me and another forum member when it reopened. If anyone's interested in it.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilm121209 View Post
    No that was my fault I said I didn't believe the regulations were law but I was wrong. He's not my lawyer I just asked how they were threatening to arrest me if the rules weren't law. But I was wrong. However title 18 subsection 304...

§ 304. Ignorance or mistake.
    Ignorance or mistake as to a matter of fact, for which there
    is reasonable explanation or excuse, is a defense if:
    (1) the ignorance or mistake negatives the intent,
    knowledge, belief, recklessness, or negligence required to
    establish a material element of the offense; or
    (2) the law provides that the state of mind established
    by such ignorance or mistake constitutes a defense.

You broke the posted rules and the guy who ticketed you was just doing his job. I am sure if you read the ticket you will see you have an option to go to court.............tell it to the judge.

Most private gun ranges in your area need a member of the club to vouch for you. Your not doing a good job convincing people here to do that.
    Last edited by Delkal; June 27th, 2016 at 09:48 PM.

(Berks County)

Yet another departure of the thin skinned.

Stainless - I'm going to have that song in my head all day

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Yet another departure of the thin skinned.
    Yes, hopefully the door will not hit him in the butt on the way out to his safe space. I wouldn't want to be accused of a micro aggression.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Yes, hopefully the door will not hit him in the butt on the way out to his safe space. I wouldn't want to be accused of a micro aggression.

Half the shit I own I couldn't bring to a DCNR because of the old-man the-only-real-gun-is-a-Daisy(TM) rules appropriate for the yore of blonde Ayran children in starched plaid and Sears catalogue slacks, only equipped with lever and bolt action.

But... I'll still follow the rules. Because the last thing I really need is to deal with when I'm going out to relax and concentrate on getting a grouping is more Fudd-RSO yapping. If I wanted that I can just pick up the phone and call my old man and tell him I found a nice guy, we're getting married, he needs his immigration papers as soon as he gets out of jail.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticSplash View Post
    Half the shit I own I couldn't bring to a DCNR because of the old-man the-only-real-gun-is-a-Daisy(TM) rules appropriate for the yore of blonde Ayran children in starched plaid and Sears catalogue slacks, only equipped with lever and bolt action.

But... I'll still follow the rules. Because the last thing I really need is to deal with when I'm going out to relax and concentrate on getting a grouping is more Fudd-RSO yapping. If I wanted that I can just pick up the phone and call my old man and tell him I found a nice guy, we're getting married, he needs his immigration papers as soon as he gets out of jail.
    Huh? I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.

Unless the half you can't bring is full auto, the weapon restrictions aren't that tight. You're allowed semi auto, pump, bolt, single-shot, revolvers, etc.... The part that is most restrictive is the ammo capacity. You aren't allowed to have more than 3 rounds in a long gun or 6 rounds in a handgun. No multi projectile ammo either (bird shot / buck shot). You can take your 30 round mag, just limit the load to 3 rounds. I don't like this rule any more than you but in the big picture it's among the least of my concerns.

Back in the 90s PGC and DCNR were feeling a big push from the residential housing boom to close a lot of ranges. Among the concerns was the so called "non stop gun fire". In addition, local WCOs were reporting a huge increase in costs to maintain ranges due to increasing usage. As a compromise, the agencies offered the 3 round rule to appease the whiners. PGC and DNCR knew this was only a Band-Aid but they did it as a means to derail efforts to close ranges.

Another fact we have to keep in mind, the PGC and DNCR ranges are primarily intended to support the hunters. Yes, these ranges are open to all but their original intent has not changed and that has been and always will be the support and encouragement of safe hunting practices. PGC/DCNR could not care less about my 30 round mag capacity as long as they support what they determine are legitimate hunting needs. And again, their ranges = their rules.

Laws, rules, and regulations are not intended to be convenient. They are designed to ensure a safe shooting environment. All too often they must also take financial impact into consideration. If the perception is limiting my mag to 3 rounds will take me longer to burn 100 rounds, so be it. I'd rather run out of time and go home with unfired ammo than lose another range to budget restrictions and whining homeowners that built their house close to a range.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast