Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation New to CC What shall I start out with?

Hello
    I recently purchased my Carry Conceal Permit, and I am new to all this. Now with a former police officer as a father our gun collection is fairly large. Most of the handguns are fairly bulky to carry concealed. So I would like to purchase a gun of my own. My price range is under $650. Nothing against Glock Owners I’m just not interested in a Glock, so we can nip that in the bud. I would appreciate a few opinions on the type of gun out there that would be good to carry for a beginner. Now don’t get me wrong I grew up shooting and know a thing or two on how to shoot, but never from a concealed holster. What is the best holster and easiest to conceal? What type of clothing is ideal without looking like I shop at the Salvation Army? Thank you for your time.

Adam
    ΑΣΦ

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: New to CC What shall I start out with?

Welcome to the forum!

Asking what gun to buy wll get you a million different options. It's best to go to a shop with a good selection and fondle a bunch. But, if you want my thoughts....

I'll tell you what I like and why.

You don't like glocks. The springfeild armory XD sub-compact, and the Smith&wesson M&P sub-compact are two of my favorites because they are super reliable, and (at least for me) feel better in my hand than a glock.

If you want something really small, light and compact then Kahr makes some damn fine small automatics well within your price range. Only downside with them is reduced magazine capacity.

I use an leather OWB (outside the waistband) "belt" holster and have found it more comfortable than a IWB (inside the waistband) holster and hve had no problems with "printing". I even like to wear tight shirts. A good IWB holster will be prety comfortable too. When you find what gun you like then people on here can tell you what good holsters they found for it.

I'm trying to keep this post brief, but you should go to a gun shop and handle some guns. You'll know what works for youwhen you see it.
    Last edited by P-11 shooter; August 19th, 2008 at 01:56 AM.

(Montgomery County)

I'm just here to echo what P-11 shooter already said.

You can't go wrong with either a Springfield XD, or Smith & Wesson M&P.

If you're unsure, though, you should definitely go to a shop and handle as many as you can to find one you like.

Proud member of:

Yea i just got the S&W 2008 book and I saw those. I liked the Sigma models but I cant recal there size
    ΑΣΦ

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Sigma's are full-size and have shitty triggers.

The M&P's ergonomics are very good compared to a glock.

If I were buying a new carry gun right now, it would be the M&P sub-compact. They fit your hand really nice. Kahrs are really slim, and compact but aren't as "range friendly"

If you get the M&P it comes with an extended mag that makes it more fun to shoot at the range.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam M Geer View Post
    Hello
    I recently purchased my Carry Conceal Permit, and I am new to all this. Now with a former police officer as a father our gun collection is fairly large. Most of the handguns are fairly bulky to carry concealed. So I would like to purchase a gun of my own. My price range is under $650. Nothing against Glock Owners I’m just not interested in a Glock, so we can nip that in the bud. I would appreciate a few opinions on the type of gun out there that would be good to carry for a beginner. Now don’t get me wrong I grew up shooting and know a thing or two on how to shoot, but never from a concealed holster. What is the best holster and easiest to conceal? What type of clothing is ideal without looking like I shop at the Salvation Army? Thank you for your time.

Adam
    Gonna be lots of responses to this, so ill toss my setup at ya.

Taurus Millenium PT140 - .40S&W, 10rd mag, 3.25" barrel
    Comptac CTAC Holster - Inside the Waistband (IWB), tuckable

I normally wear Dickies pants (classic and cargo) and a tshirt or polo shirt tucked in. Occassionally I wear khakis and a dress shirt. Either way conceals the gun just as well.
    I carry just behind my right hip (3:30-4:00 if you view your body as a clock with 12 in front of your belly button and 6 at ur ass crack).

The only time my gun has ever been spotted was a rare occassion when i was wearing a tshirt untucked and that was more likely a case of someone who knew i carried than someone seeing the gun.

If you have large hands I wouldn't recommend a Taurus Millenium, but the 24/7 series would be an option. for a CC weapon. 24/7 has a 4" barrel and slightly longer grips to accomodate a larger capacity mag (.40S&W is 15rds).

On price, Taurus is definitely in your price range, but before you buy do some research. Taurusarmed.net is nothing but taurus owners so its a good place to start for them. They had some issues with QC/engineering when they first released the Millenium series, and it seems there were some issues with the 24/7's at first in one caliber, so read read read before you buy.

That goes for any gun, get all your research done before you buy so you know what all options, features, etc are available and what owners are saying about quality, reliability, ammo types, etc.

Holster choice will come down to personal preference starting with location. Pick up a realistic sized water pistol and try it out IWB at various spots to see how comfortable it is drawing from there. Glue a small clip on the side (like one of those triangular binder clips) and try drawing OWB (Outside the Waistband) from different spots as well to find whats most comfortable for you, then look at holsters for that draw position. Then there's shoulder rigs, ankle, off body in a "fanny pack," pocket holsters.......

Then you get to have fun deciding on all leather, all kydex, leather/kydex hybrid, nylon, etc etc etc.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Armstrong County)

Welcome ..................... I vote

Sig Sauer P220 Carry DAK ........... Not only a quality gun but promotes good trigger control and aiming skills. The DAK is an enhanced Double Action Only trigger that is reminiscent of the DA revolvers I'm sure you've shot. They can be had right now for $529 shipped from Bud's Guns.

If you don't want a Glock, then I don't see how you'd want a XD or an M&P, especially with their triggers .......... .
    Last edited by Big Dog; August 19th, 2008 at 08:37 AM.
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Jefferson County)

What you'll see alot of is personal preferences show up of others, which is to be expected.

But we must know the following to give a good recommendation.

1. hand size? (big, small, average, etc)
    2. prefered guns size, ie: duty, compact, subcompact, fullsized, etc, etc.
    3. revolver and/or auto?
    4. trigger type: DAO, SA, DA, SA/DA, Glock'ish
    5. power level, ie: low(22, 25acp, 32acp, 380acp, 32 H&R mag, 38spl, etc), med/service(9mm, 357sig,40S&W, 45acp, 10mm, 45LC), high/magnum(357mag, 41mag, 44mag, 454, etc)
    6. prefered make? (Ruger, Taurus, Beretta, S&W, Colt, etc)
    7. type of garments you wear? lose fit? relaxed? poured into?
    8. right handed? left handed?
    9. how concealed do you want it? smaller guns are easier for the most part..

btw, I agree with P-11 shooter about the crappy Sigma triggers. ...terrible triggers is being kind.

You asked about what kind of clothes - well, lose fit help the most. I typically wear an "over shirt" if I feel the desire to conceal. All it amounts to is an unbuttoned long sleave dress type shirt. They hang low enough to cover your piece, but can be lifted without snag to have quick access to the gun. If you're a tucked in shirt type guy - well you're choices start getting limited. Pocket gun/holsters, slimline guns inside the waistband(can be painful in the wrong place and may need bigger pants).
    Last edited by knight0334; August 19th, 2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: TYPO
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam M Geer View Post
    Hello
    I recently purchased my Carry Conceal Permit,..........
    You received your "Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms", not a "Carry Conceal Permit".

(Some people are picky in their wording on this and other firearm forums......JSYK....)

BTW, WELCOME!
    Last edited by LowFlyer; August 19th, 2008 at 09:18 AM.
    C.R.

(The Invisible Poster)

(Elk County)

Welcome, Adam!

Knight0334 asked some very pertinent questions to help folks here sort out your personal preferences that affect your decision in a carry handgun.

Not knowing your build or taste in clothing, and assuming that you don't have a preference w.r.t. revolver or pistol, I'd like to make a few specific recommendations for a carry gun for a person just starting with concealed carry:

Browning High Power -- Small-ish frame and grip for a hi-cap (13+1) pistol. Single action, must be cocked manually or carried cocked and locked like a 1911. Grice has a few in the used cabinet, and if I recall, Ammo & Arms has one, too. Stay away from the models with adjustable target sights, they catch on clothing. The BHP is one of my favorite handguns and I used to carry one for years.

Springfield XD9 -- Looks like a Glock, feels MUCH better than a Glock in the hand, but has pretty much the same striker-fired mechanism as the Glock. Personally, I have an HS2000, the predecessor to the XD9. Light and easy to forget you have it on the hip. High-cap mags are available, either 13 or 16 rd IIRC. You can carry cocked with one in the chamber, and a firing pin block, grip safety, and trigger safety all ensure the gun won't go off. Ammo & Arms, Grice, Bob's, and Guns etc Are Us all have XD pistols of some description.

S&W J-Frame revolvers -- Lots to choose from, 38 Special or 357 Magnum in a variety of styles, frame materials, and weights; hammer, shrouded hammer, or hammerless. These are VERY concealable, trusty, and dependable carry guns. My personal preference would be for a later-issue 2" Model 60 in 357 Magnum, but loaded with +P 38 Specials. You could go with an alloy framed version for much lighter weight, but I'd stay away from the 357 Magnum. Lightweight J-Frmes (Airweights) have a rep for cracking the frame under the forcing cone. All the local dealers have J-frames new and/or used.

S&W Model 686, 2.5" bbl. Larger than the J-Frame, this L-frame Smith has commonly a six-round cylinder (the so-called "686 Plus" is a seven-shot) and is built to take a steady diet of 357 Magnum rounds. Heavier, but well balanced and still quite concealable. Grice had one a couple weeks ago, a six-shot 2.5". Nice carry revolver.

HTH,

Noah

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast