Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default 8" Free Float Input

So I'm getting a plan together for a 300 8" upper and am looking for opinions on 8" free float HG options. Key Mod or M-lock because I like the more rounded feed compared to a quad rail. Price around $100-$150. I'm kind of liking the ALG offering, but there are so many others out there to look at, so just would like some input on how to narrow down the search a bit. Thanks all.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 8" Free Float Input

I would look for something that offers in between the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions to take advantage of the 45 degree accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    So I'm getting a plan together for a 300 8" upper and am looking for opinions on 8" free float HG options. Key Mod or M-lock because I like the more rounded feed compared to a quad rail. Price around $100-$150. I'm kind of liking the ALG offering, but there are so many others out there to look at, so just would like some input on how to narrow down the search a bit. Thanks all.
    You've already answered your own question.

Keymod should be called junk mod.

I'd stick with Mlok.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Centre County)

Personally, I like the M-Lok over the Keymod, I think it has a nicer look to it. Tactical Solutions ( The Ruger replacement barrel people) also makes a 7" M-Lok for AR's
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Luzerne County)

A question about a free floated 8" barrel.....what is the point? I do not mean that sarcastically or critically. In my experience, the purpose of free floating a barrel on an AR is to relieve sling pressure on the barrel that might cause POI shift.
    I understand that that is important in a rifle.....the High Power target guys free float as a matter of course....but for a pistol....what is to be gained?
    Maybe I can learn something.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    A question about a free floated 8" barrel.....what is the point? I do not mean that sarcastically or critically. In my experience, the purpose of free floating a barrel on an AR is to relieve sling pressure on the barrel that might cause POI shift.
    I understand that that is important in a rifle.....the High Power target guys free float as a matter of course....but for a pistol....what is to be gained?
    It's probably going to be used for mounting goodies more than anything I'm assuming.

That said, I shoot 100yds off a bipod with an AR pistol and the freefloat tube can't be hurting anything.
    Using this allows one to use a low profile gas block as well, ridding up the weapon of the unneeded front sight.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    It's probably going to be used for mounting goodies more than anything I'm assuming.

That said, I shoot 100yds off a bipod with an AR pistol and the freefloat tube can't be hurting anything.
    Using this allows one to use a low profile gas block as well, ridding up the weapon of the unneeded front sight.
    This will be an SBR eventually, so yes, the ability to add some small rail sections in TBD locations and using a low profile gas block. Flat to the end. Likely micro red dot and flip up BUIS. Not so much for the actual free floating of the barrel.

I'll have to agree with that aminalmother lady. For your budget the ALG Mlok is the teets.
    Last edited by dkf; May 30th, 2016 at 02:41 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    I'll have to agree with that aminalmother lady. For your budget the ALG Mlok is the teets.
    I'd really like one. But the shortest they make is a 10". I'm finding very few 8" models from any manufacturers. I might have to go with the ALG Key-Mod. I may not even mount anything other than a front sight anyway. Priorities are a fairly rounded HG and top rail.

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I'd really like one. But the shortest they make is a 10". I'm finding very few 8" models from any manufacturers. I might have to go with the ALG Key-Mod. I may not even mount anything other than a front sight anyway. Priorities are a fairly rounded HG and top rail.
    You can get by with the Keymod, it is not completely useless. Or you can take a 10" M-lok and cut it down. Assuming the 10" is spaced the same as my 15". If you put the rail in the lathe and part it off at the back of the first Mlok slot it will take off 1.9" and does not affect any of the remaining slots. Some aluminum black or black paint will color where it was parted off. You can chuck the rail up in a 3 jaw with a large enough through hole and use paper so you don't mark the rail. I'd also shoot ALG an e-mail about an 8" Mlok rail, they may make some or even have one laying around, never know.

SLR also has rails in 8" in Mlok but I never used them myself and they are more $$$ than the ALG. http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...ry&path=66_106

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast