Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: I'll be able to buy and own guns in about a week but....

So if you know it all already, why are you posting here?

I don't see anything ball busting about anyone's post. Just wishing of luck and recommendations of caution....

And by the way, crimes punishable by a sentence of greater than 1 year make you ineligible for a firearm, not 2.

It is all about balance. I have only been trying to caution you because I have seen more than a few people get themselves caught up in a mess with PICS. You have posts going back almost 2 years about juvenile convictions, possession of weapons, drug convictions, repealing drug laws, and 302's. You posted that someone from PICS ran you over the phone and said you were all clear. I have trouble believing that happened. And if that didn't happen, you can see why I may be skeptical of your other claims. There is no arguing that some juvenile convictions are not prohibiting after age 30, that was hashed out in another thread. For someone who is going on 30 years old, you hardly sound like it. Ill say it again, filling out the forms to buy guns is not something to be taken lightly, and I wouldn't want anyone to get in more trouble if it can be avoided. I have no dog in the fight. I am glad you talked to a lawyer, and I hope for your sake he is right.

Juveniles don't get "convicted" in Pa unless they are prosecuted as an adult. Juveniles get "adjudicated delinquent." There is a world of differences between the two. Furthermore posting bout my past isn't illegal. All it means is that I spent a great deal of time doing my homework. Law enforcement already knows about my past. When a person gets in trouble it kind of gets entered into state and national data bases. The PSP already knows I used to use drugs. That doesn't prohibit me as I am not a CURRENT user nor have I used in many years. I was never 302'd either. I have the records to prove it complete with the doctors notes and signature. Do you think the PSP is going to forge a bogus 302 document just to screw me? I have no warrants either. I am nervous because I spent a lot of time and money working on things and I want everything to run smoothly. I am not interested in getting into a peeing contest with the PSP that I'll win because as of 4AM tomorrow I'll be legal.
    Last edited by 4thdimension; June 1st, 2016 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4thdimension View Post
    Juveniles don't get "convicted" in Pa unless they are prosecuted as an adult. Juveniles get "adjudicated delinquent." There is a world of differences between the two. Furthermore posting bout my past isn't illegal. All it means is that I spent a great deal of time doing my homework. Law enforcement already knows about my past. When a person gets in trouble it kind of gets entered into state and national data bases. The PSP already knows I used to use drugs. That doesn't prohibit me as I am not a CURRENT user nor have I used in many years. I was never 302'd either. I have the records to prove it complete with the doctors notes and signature. Do you think the PSP is going to forage a bogus 302 document just to screw me? I have no warrants either. I am nervous because I spent a lot of time and money working on things and I want everything to run smoothly. I am not interested in getting into a peeing contest with the PSP that I'll win because as of 4AM tomorrow I'll be legal.
    You win! Please post the outcome of your adventure next week though. As I have said in the past, I really hate loose ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlov556 View Post
    It is all about balance. I have only been trying to caution you because I have seen more than a few people get themselves caught up in a mess with PICS. You have posts going back almost 2 years about juvenile convictions, possession of weapons, drug convictions, repealing drug laws, and 302's. You posted that someone from PICS ran you over the phone and said you were all clear. I have trouble believing that happened. And if that didn't happen, you can see why I may be skeptical of your other claims. There is no arguing that some juvenile convictions are not prohibiting after age 30, that was hashed out in another thread. For someone who is going on 30 years old, you hardly sound like it. Ill say it again, filling out the forms to buy guns is not something to be taken lightly, and I wouldn't want anyone to get in more trouble if it can be avoided. I have no dog in the fight. I am glad you talked to a lawyer, and I hope for your sake he is right.
    PICs pulled up my record but I didn't try to buy a gun. I never filled out the paperwork. I called them from my home told them about my situation and gave them my SSI number. Nothing I did was illegal. Whether or not they broke confidentiality laws is beyond me.

(Bucks County)

What gun(s) are you going to get?

(Bucks County)

Get married. Have her buy the gun(s). That way you don't risk filling in a 4473 with unsettled unwitting self-incriminations. Go to the range together, rent the same alley. Both shoot the gun(s). Wife carries to and from. Alternative: Mom or Dad, Grandma or Grandpop buys the guns, et cetera.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    So if you know it all already, why are you posting here?

I don't see anything ball busting about anyone's post. Just wishing of luck and recommendations of caution....

And by the way, crimes punishable by a sentence of greater than 1 year make you ineligible for a firearm, not 2.
    This is incorrect. If you read the instructions, you will see that state misdemeanors of 2 years or less are not prohibiting.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download

Page 4, instructions for Question 11.b - 11.l Definition of Prohibited Person

Laws are kind of like computer code. What part of it clearly takes away, another part can give it back, and they don't have to be anywhere near each other by statute numbers.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    This is incorrect. If you read the instructions, you will see that state misdemeanors of 2 years or less are not prohibiting.

Laws are kind of like computer code. What part of it clearly takes away, another part can give it back, and they don't have to be anywhere near each other by statute numbers.

And this is why I studied EE instead of CS.

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post

Yup, you need to read the instructions for question 11c on the ATF form. If you read the PICs challenge form everything is clearly explained on page 3. Drug convictions are only prohibiting if they carried a sentence exceeding two years of incarceration. My Juvenile Adjudication only holds me back until I turn 30 and that is only because of Pa state law. If I had it expunged I would have been clear before I turn 30 which is in a few hours. I was off the hook when I was younger and I am not afraid to admit it. I grew up in a tough environment. I got away from it when I was 25. I haven't even touched alcohol in years. I got my life in order and put a lot of effort into making sure I am doing this legally as I didn't enjoy my trips on the judicial marry-go-round and I don't want to ride that ride again. It makes me sick. I have been waiting years for this. My first post was back 2013 which is when I started looking into this. As far as the gun I want to get it will likely be a pump shot gun with a rifled and smooth bore barrel because I could hunt anything with it. I don't care about hand guns or assault rifles. I just want to go out and freeze my ass off on the opening day of deer season and get buck fever again like I did as a teenager before my life went down hill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12