Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Training beginners at the range: how do I know if he/she is not prohibited person?

I give free beginner classes to friends and a lot of friends bring friend along that I know nothing about.
    What is law has to say about that?

After basic safety class with orange dummy handgun, I let people practice on unloaded handgun. Then it followed with life fire at the range.

More and more people ask me to train them, the more I train people who I don’t know.

I know felons not allowed to handle firearms but how do I know if they are prohibited.

Ranges that have handgun rental don’t know either, so I think I’m in the clear because it’s on them (shooter) not to handle weapons if they are not allowed.

Second part is liability, someone said I should ask trainee to sign liability waiver just in case they get hurt. I will probably do that but not sure if it will stand up in court.

Any thought gentleman?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Training beginners at the range: how do I know if he/she is not prohibited person

Ask them to first get their LTCF and then show it to you before you start training them? They have to go through a background check to get it.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Training beginners at the range: how do I know if he/she is not prohibited person

%99 won't do it. We have plenty of members on this forum that do not have LTC. Plus we talking about people who are on the border, they never handle firearms and heard all communist brainwashing about evil guns BUT they have resisted and kind of interested in learning. I have brought plenty of people like that from dark side. Most of them now have handgun at home and go to range from time to time BUT only few have LTC. It takes a lot of time to bring someone up to the speed. (Specially ladies, they take their time and you can't rush them at all, just lead them by example)
    Last edited by Egres; May 11th, 2016 at 11:59 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Do you have liability insurance? Do you have permission from the range where you train people to conduct training? Do they even know you are training people? Personally, I would never engage in training people I didn't know or newbies without liability insurance.
    Toujours prêt

(Delaware County)

I hear you.
    Most ranges could care less if you training someone or not as long as range officer sees that you are safe and you not conducting commercial class.
    Most ranges could care less if newbie rents gun by himself as long as he/she handle it safe, and range officer has final say what is safe or not.
    As for as I know it's impossible to buy liability insurance without become certified instructor. (I will probably will become NRA instructor)
    It would be very counter productive if everyone needed to get certificate and insurance just introduce someone to firearms.
    My range has buddy pass and obviously a lot of people bring friends, relatives and kids to shoot for 1st time.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Egres View Post
    %99 won't do it. We have plenty of members on this forum that do not have LTC. Plus we talking about people who are on the border, they never handle firearms and heard all communist brainwashing about evil guns BUT they have resisted and kind of interested in learning. I have brought plenty of people like that from dark side. Most of them now have handgun at home and go to range from time to time BUT only few have LTC. It takes a lot of time to bring someone up to the speed. (Specially ladies, they take their time and you can't rush them at all, just lead them by example)
    Fair enough, but then your answer is you can't know that they aren't prohibited. You've decided you'd rather teach than know.

A LTCF is not just for carrying...it makes transporting a firearm less legally complicated as well
    Plus it's a pretty good bargain in PA at $20 for 5 years!

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    A LTCF is not just for carrying...it makes transporting a firearm less legally complicated as well
    Plus it's a pretty good bargain in PA at $20 for 5 years!
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Northampton County)

You are being paranoid. I doubt there are many criminals looking for an introduction to firearms course. If one did, so what? That's his problem. Unless you had reason to know.

I am concerned about your lack of insurance. No "but," get your act together. I don't know, but you say you need a minimum of NRA cert. That's not an expensive or time consuming proposition.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    No "but," get your act together. I don't know, but you say you need a minimum of NRA cert. That's not an expensive or time consuming proposition.
    So here's list of pistol Instructor classes, about $350 and 2 days of class....
    I might just do it because I have to give class to dozen newbies on June 25th. If it was one or two but it's dozen so that is why I want insurance.
    http://www.nrainstructors.org/Search...&youth=&women=
    Last edited by Egres; May 11th, 2016 at 01:30 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast