Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AO M1 Carbine

Default AO M1 Carbine

Can anyone tell me how to remove the front sight on the Auto-Ordnance (Kahr) M-1 Carbine?

(Elk County)

Default Re: AO M1 Carbine

The AO/Kahr carbine uses a cast or MIM front sight similar to that of the USGI carbine. To remove the sight, drift out the cross pin, then tap the sight off to the front. Use a soft-faced hammer, a brass mallet, or cover the sight with a strip of leather or a block of hardwood to protect it.

To reinstall, there's a notched square key that keeps the front sight from rotating around the barrel, and that key is installed in the barrel first, notched side up, then tap the sight itself onto the barrel so that the crosspin hole is aligned with the notch in the square key. Tap in the cross pin. That's it.

Installing a bayonet-lugged front band, aren't you?

Noah

Hey, thanks a ton 4 the info. Ya I'm doin some foolin around with this little guy. I wish I could have had my head out when they were unloading the "real thing" years ago for cheap. I haven't seen the McCoy anywhere close 2 my financial ability and surely it will never be again, so I "settled". If the originals work half as well and are half as much fun as this remake (I'm sure they were/are even better),.......Ah well, wouda-coulda-shouda. I'm sure enjoying my imitation. Thanks again, wanted 2 be sure I wasn't gonna force where I shouldn't. Now U can tell me how you've got 2 or 3 of the originals that you got for 50 cents so I can be green! Thanks again!

(Cumberland County)

i don't have 2 or 3 of them but i do have my grandfathers m1

I have never shot the Garand (held 1 once), never even HELD an M 14. ALL the other WW 2 stuff I've "played" with (ours, theirs,whoevers), I have liked a lot. Come on LOTTERY !

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosko Packer View Post
    . . . Now U can tell me how you've got 2 or 3 of the originals that you got for 50 cents so I can be green!

Okay.

From the late 60s through 1992 I collected M1 Carbines. I bought them for as low as $25 to as high as $350. I ended up with 32 of them, several were truly "original" but most were mixmasters that were rebuilt after WWII or Korea. None of them were reimports, all were bring-backs or DCM/CMP guns or some of the GI surplus carbines that were sold by Sears and Firestone back in the late 50s and early 60s up to GCA 1968.

Around 1990-92 I got tired of US martial arms dealers and collectors with hoards of surplus GI parts "manufacturing" so-called "original" M1 Carbines by removing import-marked barrels, re-parking the finish, and swapping in "correct" parts, then marking up the guns by 100-150%. I'd take a non-import USGI rebuilt M1 Carbine to a show to peddle and it'd get talked down because it wasn't "correct," but the dealers would naturally offer $200 or so to take it off my hands. Well, they could be intercoursed as far as I was concerned. Ninety-eight percent of all M1 rifles and carbines were rebuilt after WWII or Korea (or both) and many of them were shipped to foreign countries who were friendly to the anti-Communist movement.

So I sold the 32 GI carbines in 1992 and 1993, and grossed just under $22,000. That's been my "gun money" ever since. And no, I've never wished that I waited later to sell. I got my price point back then, and it enabled me to acquire other firearms that I enjoy and appreciate more than the M1 Carbines. Like some certain S&W revolvers, a Walther P-38k, a Browning 1886 rifle in 45-70, a Colt Lightweight Commander in 9mm, and a Sterling Mk4 submachine gun to name a few.

Epilog: I actually had 33 carbines, and kept one. It's a very early Universal commercial M1 Carbine with a lot of GI parts that was hands-down the most reliable functioning carbine I ever owned. The absolute least reliable Carbine I owned was a true original Rock Ola that I bought for $145 in 1978 from the widow of a retired Army colonel to whom the Rock Ola was originally issued. It came with provenance papers that the widow gave me and looked as-issued. That one would not fire 15 rds without three or four stoppages, but I got $2100 for it from a fairly well-known M1 Rifle and Carbine collector. I know he doesn't care about functionality.

Noah

I just like to shoot, so I guess I'm OK with what I have. The so-called "wimpy,or anemic" 30 m1 round I find to be a hoot to shoot. When people compared the carbine to the Garand and the 30 M1 round to the 30-06 they understandably think of it as weak. When I was expecting weak + wimpy, I was pleasantly surprised. At shorter ranges (up to maybe 150 yards)to me it seems to be just as good as the 223. JM 2 cents. I can whip this little carbine around like a toy and it chugs along like a little sewing machine with the cheapest ammo I can dig up. One of my most fun guns.

(Elk County)

That's the joy of the M1 Carbine, right there, Rosko. What you describe is what I have with the Universal, and I too am satisfied with it.

Any interest in some ugly but serviceable 15 rd USGI mags?

Noah

No thanks Noah, I'm fixed 4 mags. Speaking of fixed, thanks to YOUR help, my little project is DONE ! No dings, no frets over if I'm doin the right thing. I'm off to shoot the heck out of stuff! Just went down to the local GS and bought one of those big plastic bags full of surplus ammo(300 rounds for $10!). I've shot some before that I got there and it worked 100%. I'm all wound-up! GOD help me I do love it so! Thank a million! Catch U later!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    That's the joy of the M1 Carbine, right there, Rosko. What you describe is what I have with the Universal, and I too am satisfied with it.

Any interest in some ugly but serviceable 15 rd USGI mags?

Noah
    i may be interested in them depending on what you want for them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast