Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Us vs Them

(Monroe County)

Default Us vs Them

Interesting article in Pocono Record... if anyone ever reads their site its very common for the comments to basically trash the criminal as a transplant (sadly they are almost always right)

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/808170341

I think this article really has a LOT to do with the current state of the PA as a whole as well, lets face it the majority of the "population comes from eastern PA and the "DC / Philly / NJ / New York Metro area". Most of the new and recent gun control laws have been proposed and sponsored heavily by eastern PA politicians and I would anticipate the same happening for the foreseeable future as more people move from "Safe areas" like NJ and NYC to our gun toting woods.

This is supposed to be the first part in a multi-part series which will include Town Hall meetings which I'm sure will get very heated. Transplants and Locals don't play nicely together over any topic. I think the only one that everyone agrees on is traffic sucks... granted the cause of that traffic... well you get the idea.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Us vs Them

Sealed room.

Baseball bats.

It'll work its way out.

Nothing changes.

(York County)

Hey I'm a transplant from Md, and I love it here. I liked the lower cost of living, but that seems to have gone away, or at least is slowly fading. So for that I apologize.

Dave
    3%

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    Hey I'm a transplant from Md, and I love it here. I liked the lower cost of living, but that seems to have gone away, or at least is slowly fading. So for that I apologize.

Dave
    Based on your posts, I'd say your an escapee/refugee from MD, not a transplant.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Monroe County)

Today`s article was stupid. Comparing 200 crime to 2007. How about 1985 crime to 2007 per capita? The first wave of transplants was in the late 80`s early 90`s. That`s when Sebrings handed out the bumper stickers that said "If You Don`t Like It TAKE 80 EAST"

(Jefferson County)

We've been complaining about the same thing up where I'm from for decades.. Its not just the NY/NJ/MD/Philly folks - its the urbanites from anywhere.

I cant begin to count the number of times we'd get an urbanite from* Philly, NY, Pittsburgh, Erie, Buffalo, MD, Cleveland or some place move in and start trying to rule the roost and make our area into the dump they escaped from. ..or expect the amenities of the Pittsburgh/Robinson area in Munderf/Polk Township, PA. .....oh yeah, build a $150000 house/cabin in BFE and expect city water, cable and DSL. Thats like building a battleship in the middle of Nebraska and expecting someone to bring the ocean to you.

Its these same people that buy up our cheap property then start selling it for NY City prices. It wasn't very long ago you could buy an acre for less than $500 any day of the week. Now try to find an acre for less than $5000.

We dont mind ya moving to the area, just you better acclimate to our customs, standards and lifestyle instead of trying to change our ways. lol

* - no offense meant to those from the listed areas that "do as the Roman's do" when moving or vacationing in our area.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Its like that down here in Chester county as well. My family and I transplanted here from Delaware county 6 years ago. Where we lived was getting too out of hand, from the constant sprawl to the downward spiral of our town itself, to the fact that we lived too close to Chester city. We decided to move to raise our children in a calmer, more family oriented, semi rural environment. Well, all the locals consider us city slickers, even though where we came from used to be called the suburbs, and is not what I'd call "the city". But I guess to the locals however there is no difference, if you hail from Philly or Delaware county you're a city slicker to them. I even heard an old woman one time chastizing people from Delaware county shopping in "her store". I was so wanting to inform the woman that more than likely she was in the minority as Chester county is one of the, if not the top counties for new development.

What I do now is not even tell anyone where I am from. If they ask I just say "yeah I'm from Chester county" and leave it at that.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    We dont mind ya moving to the area, just you better acclimate to our customs, standards and lifestyle instead of trying to change our ways. lol
    Are you trying to FORCE assimilation? That's not very nice.

This same argument can be made for people moving here from Latin American countries (mostly the illegal folks since the people that do things the right way are usually willing to make the next generation assimilate even if they have a hard time) who move into this country and expect to be able to have everything in Spanish (think for Philadelphian press #1 for New Yorkian press #2 sort of thing) amd that their culture will remained unchanged from their home country. The folks move here and expect to change PAs gun laws to reflect their previous area's gun laws.

I moved here from MD about 11 years ago (I wasn't old enough to own a handgun when I moved), but I had always had rifles and shot handguns so I never realized how bad it was in MD.
    Last edited by adymond; August 19th, 2008 at 09:58 AM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by mjfletcher View Post
    Based on your posts, I'd say your an escapee/refugee from MD, not a transplant.

AWWWW. You like me, you really like me. I sometimes do view myself as a refugee as well.

Dave
    3%

(Monroe County)

Part 2 is up: Crime Rates

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/808180317

I think the official explosions really began in the early 90's as home builders like LTS started selling McMansions as turn key bedrooms and the housing market in NYC and NJ boomed, thus allowing people to sell their tiny apartment and move on up to the Pocono's, 3 to 4 times the space, 1/10th the cost... its a no brainer!

I would have really liked seeing the statistics compared to early 90's as well since thats when the developments starting appearing everywhere and thats when the move starting happening, I think it would tell a much different picture of true crime rates. I also have to question some of the decline in crime rates... I'm willing to bet the crimes didn't actually decline, we have just lost all faith in the PA State police force to be able to do their job effectively, calling them does no good up here.

I agree with whoever said the biggest issue isn't the people moving here. Its the urban culture / mentality that they are bringing that is really causing the issue. We aren't a city, you don't have night clubs to go to, hanging out on sidewalks and in front of stores isn't acceptable and treating people like trash doesn't fly around here. Destroying property because you are bored, selling drugs and tagging buildings doesn't fly either.

I can remember a number of "gangstas" even when I was in High School constantly bitching about how boring it is here and how they miss NYC and how they want to go back, in the meantime they treat everyone they can like they are personally responsible for them coming here, pick fights, try to form gangs, and just try to pull that urban lifestyle to the country... fine go back. No one will miss you, not even a little bit...
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast