Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Transporting shotgun to NJ for sporting clays?

Hey guys,

I'm not far from M and M and wanted to take my Beretta to shoot some clays. I know I technically should be ok if the unloaded gun and ammo are locked separately and I head straight to the range. But with Jersey's notoriously strict gun laws should I just rent a gun there, and leave mine at home? Anybody ever run into issues taking an unloaded gun into NJ and abiding by the rules?

Default Re: Transporting shotgun to NJ for sporting clays?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrconservative View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm not far from M and M and wanted to take my Beretta to shoot some clays. I know I technically should be ok if the unloaded gun and ammo are locked separately and I head straight to the range. But with Jersey's notoriously strict gun laws should I just rent a gun there, and leave mine at home? Anybody ever run into issues taking an unloaded gun into NJ and abiding by the rules?
    I drive to the Ft Dix range to shoot with my brothers and I have never run into any issues. But I have never been pulled over during one of those trips so I am not 100% sure. I never bring ammo with me though. Just a locked rifle or shotgun covered in blankets in the cab of my truck. Ridiculous I know but those jackasses wont come out to PA to shoot clays or steel targets.

(Westmoreland County)

Hey guys,

Talk to a lawyer who practices law in New Jersey. You need to know what your rights are as an out of state resident, especially case law involving the FOPA. FOPA allows for such transport if the destination allows for possession. If you're in Jersey and you are not allowed to have possession of the firearm at your destination, you could be in trouble.

(Clearfield County)

Hey guys,

Do you suppose being in the right will be much consolation when you're arrested, your car is towed and your gun confiscated? I'm pretty sure it won't matter to the cops.

(Bucks County)

I have taken guns into NJ the way you posted. We are attending a SASS cowboy action match there later this month, will be taking 8 or 9 guns with us, locked as required.

Here is a link for reference: http://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    Talk to a lawyer who practices law in New Jersey. You need to know what your rights are as an out of state resident, especially case law involving the FOPA. FOPA allows for such transport if the destination allows for possession. If you're in Jersey and you are not allowed to have possession of the firearm at your destination, you could be in trouble.
    PA into NJ would not invoke FOPA. There are multiple threads, including a sticky or two, explicitly discussing this.

Transport to and from a range, as handled by NJ law, would be the focus of *my* research.

My 2¢

ETA: Post 5 beat me to it by seconds, with link...

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim8300 View Post
    I have taken guns into NJ the way you posted. We are attending a SASS cowboy action match there later this month, will be taking 8 or 9 guns with us, locked as required.

Here is a link for reference: http://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml
    That link is highly misleading. Yes, I know it is NJSP. It's also misleading - it's referring to FOPA for traveling through Jersey. NOT Jersey as a destination.

You can't possess a firearm in Jersey except under very narrow circumstances unless you have a license for that type of firearm. This includes long arms. You can possess at a range, and straight to and from range as one example. Don't screw around.

Car impounded? LOL, I'd take that over the 3 to 10 years they are going to throw you in prison for, the range being subject to whether you have an unloaded BB gun, long gun, or handgun in your trunk.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

My bro in law knew somebody that got arrested coming from m&m because he
    had spent shell casings on the floor of his car. That's all I can remember of the incident.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    My bro in law knew somebody that got arrested coming from m&m because he
    had spent shell casings on the floor of his car. That's all I can remember of the incident.
    I did, and had a Glock pointed at my face for a few 9mm FMJ's and a low cap single stack mag in my glove box.

All I could think of at the time was, I'm glad I'm not my dad. Because I would be saying, "If you're pointing a fucking gun at me, you better fucking shoot me motherfucker!"

Cost at me a pretty penny to get that shit cleared up.

Short of a post-apocalyptic rescue mission, I would not bring any guns or ammo into that communist shithole for any reason.

(Beaver County)

Warning signs are needed at the border.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast