Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Delaware County Field and Stream Association?

My son is starting at West Chester U. this month, and I was looking for a nearby club to join. I'm looking for something with outdoor ranges, instruction (since we're both newbs,) and I hope not to have to deal with a 3 round rule or a "no double tap" rule.

Is dcfs.org a good club? Would seem to be ideal as there are so many activities, including archery, which my son would like.

Also interested in some sort of competition, i.e. IDPA.

Thanks...
    Every person is created equal and is entitled to an opinion, but not all opinions are created equal.

-Wise Man, circa early 21st century.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Delaware County Field and Stream Association?

Quote Originally Posted by tobor View Post
    I hope not to have to deal with a 3 round rule or a "no double tap" rule.

They have nice grounds but if you're worried about those types of rules you might look elsewhere.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    They have nice grounds but if you're worried about those types of rules you might look elsewhere.
    What about this one:
    http://www.sccsfa.org/

How is someone to learn doubletaps and accurate followups with lame rules like that?
    Every person is created equal and is entitled to an opinion, but not all opinions are created equal.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tobor View Post
    I hope not to have to deal with a 3 round rule or a "no double tap" rule.
    There's also no CCW or even open carry on premises, if that rule matters to you.

(Delaware County)

@ DCFS there are no rules against "double taps" or having three rounds in a handgun. You are actually allowed to have 5 rounds in a handgun or smallbore rifle. You may only have 1 round at a time in a bigbore rifle unless a range officer is present and gives you permission for more. The only rules they have thati am against is that you are not supposed to CC or have a holstered weapon. The ranges are old there but kept in good condition. It is a fantastic club with a large assortment of ranges and activities. I became a member b/c of the location but now have been a member for quite some time. Everyone there is helpful and friendly. There are rules in place for safety/liability/noise ordinance and a few others but nothing is over the top. Like I said it's a great club with some great people andt I personally don't have to drive more than 5 minutes to get there. Where as the southern chester county range is 22 miles from my house. I drove out there to check it out and it's just not worth it to me. Yes they have less strict rules but I would rather have a couple rules and save my gas money.

If anyone would like to acompany me as a guest to check out DCFS pm me and I would be happy to show you around. If you would like to come along as a guest and shoot you can aquire a guest pass for $10 and we can shoot at whatever range you like.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Feddog82 View Post
    @ DCFS there are no rules against "double taps" or having three rounds in a handgun. You are actually allowed to have 5 rounds in a handgun or smallbore rifle. You may only have 1 round at a time in a bigbore rifle unless a range officer is present and gives you permission for more. The only rules they have thati am against is that you are not supposed to CC or have a holstered weapon. The ranges are old there but kept in good condition. It is a fantastic club with a large assortment of ranges and activities. I became a member b/c of the location but now have been a member for quite some time. Everyone there is helpful and friendly. There are rules in place for safety/liability/noise ordinance and a few others but nothing is over the top. Like I said it's a great club with some great people andt I personally don't have to drive more than 5 minutes to get there. Where as the southern chester county range is 22 miles from my house. I drove out there to check it out and it's just not worth it to me. Yes they have less strict rules but I would rather have a couple rules and save my gas money.

If anyone would like to acompany me as a guest to check out DCFS pm me and I would be happy to show you around. If you would like to come along as a guest and shoot you can aquire a guest pass for $10 and we can shoot at whatever range you like.
    Thanks for the info. Is it only paper targets or do you get to shoot the tin pig? I'd like to get my boy started in some sort of competition, maybe IDPA. Maybe me too. Where does one actually learn the skills to compete?

(Delaware County)

There are steel targets on the rim fire, air rifle and black powder ranges. Everywhere else is paper only and no human silhouettes or portions thereof. B-27 type targets not allowed.

ETA, there are several ranges up in the Lehigh Valley area that have pits which will allow you to do shoot and move, draw, set up the targets of your choice etc.. Ontelaunee and Topton are good ones. To the west, Palmyra and New Holland both have pits, but I'm not sure of their rules.

Or you could use my method and practice at every match...
    Last edited by imashooter2; August 18th, 2008 at 05:45 PM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    There are steel targets on the rim fire, air rifle and black powder ranges. Everywhere else is paper only and no human silhouettes or portions thereof. B-27 type targets not allowed.
    That's correct Tobor and we have just recently started to have cowboy action matches down on the black powder range (even though the firearms used aren't black powder) So as you can see I think the rules are starting to slowly loosen up.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Feddog82 View Post
    That's correct Tobor and we have just recently started to have cowboy action matches down on the black powder range (even though the firearms used aren't black powder) So as you can see I think the rules are starting to slowly loosen up.
    Pistol caliber carbines and lead bullets only on the black powder range. I've spent a couple of pleasant hours there ringing steel with my 1894C.

I agree that the regs are slowly coming around. I go back to the early 60's and remember when the rim fire range was single shot and paper only, just like high power. Now if only we can get them to allow 6 shots in a revolver on the pistol range I'll at least be able to practice my reloads...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    ...Now if only we can get them to allow 6 shots in a revolver on the pistol range I'll at least be able to practice my reloads...
    So I guess you will be sellin that 7 shooter

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast