Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Legally Armed Jogger Defends His Right to Carry Gun in Front of Phila Police.

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    Yeah,everyone going round and round and back and forth when all the guy had to do was produce his permit.What is the point in obtaining a permit if one refuses to show it upon request?
    The officer who initially approached the jogger didn't even seem like a bad guy. He came over with his coffee in his hand and started talking to the jogger. He didn't draw down on the jogger or anything. The one officer on scene who refused to give his name and badge number was a huge tool though.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Legally Armed Jogger Defends His Right to Carry Gun in Front of Phila Police.

Philly has been sued how many times over gun Rights? Open carry? And yet some officers still don't know what the law is.

Yeah I get it. It's no big deal. The cops are nice and have a tough job. Be civil and respectful and comply. So everyone goes along with demands for ID or consent to search (nothing to hide correct?)
    Then what you have is a useless Right.

Yes, I understand he's in Philly and the law is he must show his LTCF. So legally that's what he should have done. I say it's a bullshit law. If that was the law around here it would suck having to produce my LTCF every time I came across a police officer. I imagine open carry in Philadelphia you could be stopped several if not more times each day. Sound enjoyable? Would you like to get pulled over every time a cop was behind you on the road?

And again changing such laws is not going to happen. Look at the differing times and hassles in different counties for LTCF.

Am I being unrealistic to not want to be questioned simply for exercising a Right? Please don't say "But it's a gun"!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
    I agree, and given how nazi Philly PD is, it could have resulted in him losing his license and would have to go thru hell and back just to get it restored

It's bullshit I know.. But as it stands it's the reality we gun nuts have to put up with
    Right and it sounds as if the jogger was threatened with those outcomes by one of the officers....probably by the smartassed rookie looking cop.They did wind up taking his weapon.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Philly has been sued how many times over gun Rights? Open carry? And yet some officers still don't know what the law is.

Yeah I get it. It's no big deal. The cops are nice and have a tough job. Be civil and respectful and comply. So everyone goes along with demands for ID or consent to search (nothing to hide correct?)
    Then what you have is a useless Right.

Yes, I understand he's in Philly and the law is he must show his LTCF. So legally that's what he should have done. I say it's a bullshit law. If that was the law around here it would suck having to produce my LTCF every time I came across a police officer. I imagine open carry in Philadelphia you could be stopped several if not more times each day. Sound enjoyable? Would you like to get pulled over every time a cop was behind you on the road?

And again changing such laws is not going to happen. Look at the differing times and hassles in different counties for LTCF.

Am I being unrealistic to not want to be questioned simply for exercising a Right?
    Please don't say "But it's a gun"!
    You're not being unrealistic. I agree with you 100%, but as you mentioned, right or wrong it is the law in Philly.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    You're not being unrealistic. I agree with you 100%, but as you mentioned, right or wrong it is the law in Philly.
    I concur.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    Agreed but don't you think as gun owners and some of us that carry concealed or open, we could or should support or at least have some understanding for the jogger with tha caveat that it's the law and it's a bad one? Dare I say, unconstitutional in my opinion.

Too often I read these threads and the fellow gun owner is always called a dumbass that got what he deserved. Yes we should "police" our own so to speak but as a community we rarely stick up for each other the way other special interest groups do. We've got this "ego" like thing going that plays us against one another.

And I have an LTCF because the law required it, not to show it to people. It would really suck having to go through what those in Philly do just because I open carry. I can imagine the encounters where a shirt rode up or someone was "casually concealing" and the cop thinks he knows the law.

To be fair I didn't watch the vid I read the account. It said everyone involved was polite.

(Philadelphia County)

The video is a little long and a bit tedious but you should give it a look.

(Lancaster County)

I skipped through it. Everyone was calm, the guy was respectful. Obviously it would have been a non event had he complied. He seemed to be arguing that in his opinion they needed a reason to stop him before requiring him to show LTCF.

I also understand that the cops are not jack booted thugs and are doing what they think is in everyone's best interest. So my view isn't anti cop, it's anti this BS City of the first class tool that was given to them by lawmakers.

Hopefully the gun owner has a better understanding of what he can and can't do and the officers can at least put themselves in the citizens shoes

Think about this, don't you think this is a way of discouraging open carry? If you are spotted by a handful of officers each and every day and are stopped a few times each and every day, how long will you continue to open carry? And why isn't it a form of lawful harassment? Or is it?

(Philadelphia County)

I can't disagree with anything that you have posted in this thread thus far.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    If you are spotted by a handful of officers each and every day and are stopped a few times each and every day, how long will you continue to open carry? And why isn't it a form of lawful harassment? Or is it?
    It doesn't work that way... once the coppers start to know who you are, things start to change. Word gets out through discussion. Unless you are a tool... then they change for the worse for you. It's like any other service related business.

Oh... and the idea that you can't change the law so why try. That's crap. the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If one isn't even willing to try then one shouldn't bother complaining... one has accepted their fate.
    Last edited by Deleted; May 4th, 2016 at 12:24 AM.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast