Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AIM Surplus security breach

public service announcement

received a letter from AIM that an "unauthorized person" was able to "gain access to certain images that had been uploaded to our website."

they go on to say they told the cops and conducted an investigation. "The information in the image you provided may include your name and drivers license number."

"We recommend that you remain vigilant to the possibility of identity theft by reviewing your credit report for any unauthorized activity. To help protect your identity, we are offering a complimentary 1 year membership of Experian's ProtectMyID Alert."

not sure i will ever give a company my info to keep on file ever again, regardless of their prices/deals. yea, I'm pissed. nothing like a criminal knowing the name/address of people who bought guns.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Tioga County)

Default Re: AIM Surplus security breach

How stupid of AIM Surplus, really really stupid. I see now they don't require your drivers licence to buy ammo as they did at one time.

(Westmoreland County)

I just got the same letter.They are offering a one year free www.protectmyid.com/alert membership.im going to call them monday to make sure all this is Legitimate.you need to provide your ssn for the free servise. that would really give a scammer everything they need.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    public service announcement

received a letter from AIM that an "unauthorized person" was able to "gain access to certain images that had been uploaded to our website."

they go on to say they told the cops and conducted an investigation. "The information in the image you provided may include your name and drivers license number."

"We recommend that you remain vigilant to the possibility of identity theft by reviewing your credit report for any unauthorized activity. To help protect your identity, we are offering a complimentary 1 year membership of Experian's ProtectMyID Alert."

not sure i will ever give a company my info to keep on file ever again, regardless of their prices/deals. yea, I'm pissed. nothing like a criminal knowing the name/address of people who bought guns.
    What does it matter when you find out your own (maybe not your's gummy) DMV is selling your info for profit anyway. (See PennDOT story)
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Quote Originally Posted by RUDY850 View Post
    I just got the same letter.They are offering a one year free www.protectmyid.com/alert membership.im going to call them monday to make sure all this is Legitimate.you need to provide your ssn for the free servise. that would really give a scammer everything they need.
    yea i went ahead and did it as it seemed legit and, most importantly, utilizes a product that i know is real

post an update into the thread with the response you get
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    How stupid of AIM Surplus, really really stupid. I see now they don't require your drivers licence to buy ammo as they did at one time.
    It's not just for ammunition they also need it along with your C&R if you are buying 03ffl firearms from them. This is the world we live in plain and simple and there will always be people out there hacking the most rock solid operations including the IRS and the Pentagon. My own company has had employee info taken several times as well as Target and Home depot.

This sucks...I placed an order 4 days ago and it's still pending. I'm not a happy camper as I had my C&R info on file.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by RUDY850 View Post
    ~snip~im going to call them monday to make sure all this is Legitimate.~snip~
    Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    ~snip~

post an update into the thread with the response you get
    I've never used AIM Surplus, however I wrote to AIM via a contact us link on their website asking about the email some of you received, their response:

I can assure you the letter is legitimate. We are committed to protecting the confidentiality and security of our customer information, and we deeply regret any inconvenience this incident may cause you.

We sincerely regret that this incident occurred, and we apologize for any inconvenience it may cause you. To help prevent something like this from happening in the future, we removed all of the images from the website server and worked with the security firm and the vendor that hosts the website to enhance the security of the upload feature. We are working with the security firm to implement enhanced security measures. AIM Inc also is using an alternative method for verifying identity without requiring documents to be uploaded to the site.

(Westmoreland County)

I called and they said it is Legitimate

(Chester County)

I have a C&R on file there. I have yet to hear anything.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast