Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New Shotgun!

(Dauphin County)

Default New Shotgun!

DSC_0217.jpgLOL, not new but new to me. I screwed up by not taking "before" pics. It came into the shop as a trade in. Covered in rust, no finish left on stock or metal. But when I torn her down she was solid excepting appearance. Bought her from the shop for $100 and over the next couple months worked on the restoration and upgrades.
    Stripped and refinished the wood only very lightly sanding so as to not harm the factory hand cut checkering. 5 coats of Permalyn sealer, 2 hand rubbed coats of Permalyn finish.
    Shortened 30" full choke bbl to 24" and set it up for a Tru-choke system. Added a fiber optic bead. Reamed the forcing cone and polished using Flex hones. All exterior metal refinished in semi-gloss Midnight Blue Ceracote. Spent a LOT of time deburring the internals and polishing them to a mirror finish. Needless to say she has one slick action now!

Been researching date of manufacture but info is sparse. Best I can determine is sometime between 1912 and 1928. Montgomery Wards Model 30 made by Stevens as their Model 520.

Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by msorwan1975; April 30th, 2016 at 04:45 PM.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: New Shotgun!

Pics?

(Dauphin County)

LOL pic added

(Lancaster County)

Nice looking shottie ! those old department store guns clean up pretty ! I have an old Sears pump that was my wife's Uncle's trap gun.

Cb
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Susquehanna County)

Too bad you didn't have some before pics, but it looks like you did a great job! It's a beautiful gun and I'm sure that since you did the work yourself, it holds even more sentimental value.

Excellent work! I have a lot of nice guns that were <$100 basket cases, that I fixed up like you did. You will definitely enjoy shooting it, and the restoration process is the best way there is to learn about your gun, enjoy yourself, and get your head cleared doing something men were meant to do.

Looks like some nice old American iron, and I look forward to hearing of the next gun you do this to!
    They even have minds but do not think. -Dov Fischer

(Dauphin County)

thanks guys. I do have a bit of passion for these older firearms. Not saying modern stuff is bad or anything, but ain't nothing like steel and walnut!!!
    Took it out to test patterns and have to say the choke tube system and forcing cone work was very worth while. She patterns excellently with a variety of loads.

GROUSE SEASON IS APPROACHING!!