Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Let's talk OC/Pepper spray....

OK, who here carries OC spray regularly (on-duty LEO's excluded, please)?

I often work in states that don't allow me to CC, so I got into the habit of carrying a Kimber "Guardian Angel" OC spray with me. In 5 years I haven't needed it, thank God.
    I'm fairly new to CC (about 3 years) and decided a while ago that my OC spray needed to be part of my routine "carry defense". The reasoning is that in most situations a perp will be stopped (or instantly slowed) with an OC shot in the face, thus allowing more time to escape or assess the need for lethal force.
    This forum has a LOT of knowledgable people and (usually!) offers good common sense advice, so I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about it.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Let's talk OC/Pepper spray....

i carry OC, but i'm not a big believer in it. i carry it mainly because if it comes down to it, it shows a jury that i was willing to use less than lethal means to stop an attack, before i was forced to use deadly force.

i'm not a big believer in OC, because i've been sprayed before, a few times. the first time was a random thing; some cock juggler thought it would be funny to spray some into the air in a crowd. i got a mouthful, and it sucked, but i kept walking.

the next time was by NYPD, because i was "resisting"; i got a face full of spray, but they had to spray me 3 times, because i was still fighting.

the third time (you guys must think i'm nuts by now), i sprayed myself, by accident. it was a canister of sabre red, and it burned like hell. the 9th level, that is. though it took the fight out of me, i think if i was a man determined to kill someone, it wouldn't have stopped me.

the last time, i was testing a can of Fox Labs spray for the g/f. i gave myself a realistic dose; i'm not talking about just a little spritz, i gave myself a good 2-3 second burst. i couldn't breathe very well, and i couldn't see at all, but i stayed on my feet.

the problem with OC is that it disables certain functions of the body, but it doesn't stop the general motor function. a guy with a knife who's got a face full of pepper is still a guy with a knife, and still dangerous.

my opinion is, OC is good for when you absolutely cannot carry a gun or a knife. that's about it, though. some punk kid, or drunk idiot, will probably be discouraged by a quick blast from a can. but a guy who's made up his mind to hurt/kill you probably won't be stopped. like i said, i was a 17 year old kid who fought through OC because i didn't want to be cuffed by NYPD. if i were a stone cold killer, what do you think i could have accomplished?

(Luzerne County)

You will find this to likely be a long and complicated topic

That said I will simply respond in the affirmative that I do carry OC daily.
    It's just another tool that may be helpful in some situations. Just like a gun, or CC/OC carry, it is not a cure all.

I carry it because it gives me another non-lethal option against man and beasts.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Montgomery County)

I carry Fox OC daily for the reasons Pa. Patriot listed.

Proud member of:

(Luzerne County)

As an aside, I have used my OC once, against a vicious dog. Worked like a charm

Yipe-yipe-yipe! all the way home (or wherever it went)

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    As an aside, I have used my OC once, against a vicious dog. Worked like a charm

Yipe-yipe-yipe! all the way home (or wherever it went)
    Poor doggie. You should have just asked it "Do you want me to pretend you violated my rights and respond accordingly?"
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Dauphin County)

I carry Sabre Defense 3 in 1 (pepper spray/OC/UV dye) spray usually when i take the dog out so i dont have to shoot another dog. I also carry the spray when im in situations when i cant carry.

On a side note I have been hit with pepper spray when i was about 15...(on a bet..young and dumb) never the less...I dont want to be on the receiving end of that stuff again. That was also just straight pepper spray and that was like 8 or so years ago...I hate to see what its like with OC mixed into some of these new formulas.

(York County)

There's nothing wrong with carrying OC spray. Its a good option one less than lethal force is needed. My wife carries it on her keychain and has gotten very good with prcatice at spraying with her off hand and then striking the attacker with her strong hand as he's grabbing his eyes. Mkaes for a very effective escape I would think.

Dave
    3%

(York County)

Wow, my first post! I reside in York, recently having moved from MD. While I work for myself, I won't get into the fact that after however many times of applying for a MD permit for business, I was constantly denied - so, so sad. I suppose I have to be shot at first and then they'll reconsider.

Therefore, when I'm in MD, I carry a Guardian Angel in my pocket and a JPX in my car. MDSP didn't seem to thrilled with the JPX idea, but I won't be aiming it at a cop and it's fully legal by their standards.

I think awareness is key, and hope I never have to use any of these things, but at least it's a sense of comfort should something take place. I also have a G/Angel in my wife's car and she has one in her purse. It's a good device based on what is and is not permitted within certain states and I prefer it much more than the typical spray because of wind and backlash. DC is another story as only DC residents can carry spray, non-residents cannot (never understood the logic with that one).

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    I carry it because it gives me another non-lethal option against man and beasts.
    I agree. I would not shoot a dog unless I absolutly had too. And sometimes non-lethal has it's upside. -BB
    The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
    -Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast