Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Beginning to Load 300WinMag - Questions

I am starting to load 300 Win Mag & this will be the first time that I am loading a belted magnum. I've read that FL sizing dies are bad because they size the case & push the shoulder back but do not take care of the bulge in front of the case. So I picked up a Redding body die, a Lee collet necksizing die & a Forster micrometer seating die. How do I adjust the body die for minimal working of the brass? As I understand it, the body die will also not take care of the bulge but at least does not push the shoulder/neck back. I have a bunch of once fired brass (not shot from my rifle) and the brass will chamber in my rifle. The fit is a little snug, but not terribly bad. I was actually debating just neck sizing w/ the collet die, but know that that is not really recommended. The lee collet necksizing instructions seems strait forward, but anyone have any other adjusting hints for these dies?

Eventually, I do intend on getting a Larry Willis collet die which will just size the bulge, but have not gotten this die yet.

Default Re: Beginning to Load 300WinMag - Questions

I bought once fired 300WM when I started to load for 300WM. I also bought some new Winchester virgin 300WM brass. The virgin brass did not chamber in my action even after I FL sized them. I called Winchester and they gave me a credit and I sent back the virgin brass. Winchester must have had a bad batch as they couldn't tell me when brass for 300WM would be offered.

The once fired brass that I have for my 300WM seem to be fine. I would suggest FL sizing all of your once fired brass since the brass was not fired by your rifle.

Default Re: Beginning to Load 300WinMag - Questions

What could be happening is that the case shoulder is getting bumped back too much in the die. If you're close to Wicen's Shooting Range, pay them a visit and ask for Rick. He's spent the last 7 years reloading the 300 Win Mag, and he's solved several weird reloading issues with the round. He should be able to help you through it.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.