Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Foam earplugs transmit vibration?

I'm sure you read the title and thought "That has to be the bumbest statement I have ever read!"

Let me explain.

When I'm riding the motorcycle I wear earplugs to cut down on road noise. I try to be very protective of my hearing because you can't get it back if it is lost. On the final leg of my trip I noticed that my right ear was a lot louder than the left. Thinking the plug had come lose at the next rest stop I went to re-insert when I realized that it was packed in there super tight.

The left ear which had the sound blocked effectively was very lose, almost falling out. The only thing I can assume is that the tightly fitted earplug was actually conducting the vibrations into my ear. I have been home for about an hour and I can still hear it ringing.

I realize this won't really impact most people here but it might be important to note that a tightly compressed piece of foam might just be worse in the long run.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Foam earplugs transmit vibration?

I think it's the little air gaps in the foam that deaden sound waves. If they get compressed you just have a solid piece....which would transmit better.

Lycandoublemuffthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Butler County)

Welcome home. Hope you had a good time. I thought you were staying on the road longer.

Much of sound is transmitted through bone. So you might be thicker skulled on one side verses another, or you have a source of sound on one side verses the other. Loose strap?

tom <novice>
    Everyday, Love your Wife. She might love you back twice that day. :D

(Wayne County)

Joe Smith
    What side of your helmet or not does your sweetie talk into? Could that be your problem? I know that when I drive and my sweetie is with me my right ear always rings after the drive! JUST HAD TO DO IT.

Qtrborecrazy

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    I think it's the little air gaps in the foam that deaden sound waves. If they get compressed you just have a solid piece....which would transmit better.

Lycandoublemuffthrope
    makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Kimba View Post
    Welcome home. Hope you had a good time. I thought you were staying on the road longer.
    I was tired and had a sore ass. Made good time because I did some riding at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Tom View Post
    Much of sound is transmitted through bone. So you might be thicker skulled on one side verses another, or you have a source of sound on one side verses the other. Loose strap?

tom <novice>

Maybe, I am thick skulled. I'll have to do some experiments.

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Joe Smith
    What side of your helmet or not does your sweetie talk into? Could that be your problem? I know that when I drive and my sweetie is with me my right ear always rings after the drive! JUST HAD TO DO IT.

Qtrborecrazy

bleutooth speaker is on the left but I left it off. I talk to her enough at home.

JOEdon'ttellherIsaidthatSMITH

(York County)

Thise foam ear plugs are supposed to be loose, that way they can expand and close off more of the ear canal.

Dave
    3%

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
    Maybe, I am thick skulled. I'll have to do some experiments.
    Don't use a ball-peen hammer.

As for the foam plugs, this is what I was taught, and it worked. I had a hearing test when I was like 20-ish. I was missing whole range of frequencies. It seemed that working around steam turbines might not have 'hurt' but with long term exposure I was actually deaf in some ranges. So I had to go on a voluntary hearing conservation program, I had no initial baselines so not ordered by superiors. The foam plugs work great, just have to squish them small and long, and insert them to the point where you can barely pull them back out, then held there till fully expanded. In-fact if others can 'see' them easily, you aren't using them right'. If you go too far, they might be out of reach of a finger, but a set of tweezers can get them.

Now this is what I as instructed, always follow manufacturer's instructions. Just for 'proof', now that I'm older, I have recovered much of my hearing, and prevented further loss. So I have good hearing, compared to others of my age group and work background.

Tom
    Everyday, Love your Wife. She might love you back twice that day. :D

(York County)

I don't want to start a debate, but a good helmet would negate the necessity of hearing protection.

Had it not been for my helmet, I would not be on this earth

I wear one for both reasons.
    All of my guns have recently disappeared. "The Constitution of the United States guarantees to you the right to bear arms...You have the unquestioned right, under the law, to defend your life and protect the sanctity of your fireside. Failing in either, you are a coward and a craven and undeserving of the name of man." Eugene V. Debs

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by brokerrob1 View Post
    I don't want to start a debate, but a good helmet would negate the necessity of hearing protection.

Had it not been for my helmet, I would not be on this earth

I wear one for both reasons.
    Naw man. We both have quality helmets, but it dosn't do much to stop highway wind noise. The helmet helps, but at highway speeds and the fact that they are open in the ares around the ears allows noise to reach your ears. And if the weather is nice and your visor is open it's just more wind noise.

I have wrecked 3 times so far, and was wearing helmets every time. The only time I hit my head was this last one, and I didn't even know it. However my visor was blown off and my helmet looks like you took a belt sander to it. A quality helmet is absolutely essential. I won't get on a bike without one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast