Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Possibly moving to PA

I currently live in upstate NY and recently retired. I am sick of living in Cuomo's fascist paradise and looking to relocate. Northeast Pennsylvania puts me reasonably close to my daughter and grand kids in central NY and the gun laws in PA are not nearly as obnoxious as what I have to put up with now. My question is PA seems relatively gun friendly, but what are the chances that it will stay that way? I would hate to move to PA and a few years later find myself looking at a Pennsylvania version of the SAFE act, or worse. The fact that NY city and NJ are right across the border is also a concern as there is a possibility of a migration of anti-gunners which could change the political environment. Any input would be appreciated.

Default Re: Possibly moving to PA

Hello and welcome to the site.

Right now PA gun laws are excellent and should be rated nationally higher then they get from the NRA however like every where else in this country they are constantly under attack by liberal elected officials backed with outside money provided by special interest groups. The good thing is many of us make sure we get involved any way we can to make sure the pressure it kept on. Making calls and writing elected officials is easy and does matter when it comes to our rights. Others get involved in 2A day's in the capital meeting with elected officials and letting them know how their local constituents feel.

If you looking for a state where you can lay back and never worry about your 2A rights or have to get involved to defend them then PA may not be for you, but I am not sure there is a state that exists where you can truly do that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Salvo View Post
    I currently live in upstate NY and recently retired. I am sick of living in Cuomo's fascist paradise and looking to relocate. Northeast Pennsylvania puts me reasonably close to my daughter and grand kids in central NY and the gun laws in PA are not nearly as obnoxious as what I have to put up with now. My question is PA seems relatively gun friendly, but what are the chances that it will stay that way? I would hate to move to PA and a few years later find myself looking at a Pennsylvania version of the SAFE act, or worse. The fact that NY city and NJ are right across the border is also a concern as there is a possibility of a migration of anti-gunners which could change the political environment. Any input would be appreciated.
    Max, I just moved to NEPA. I felt the same way you did but if you look at the primary results, PA was almost split down the middle with the amount of democrat and republican votes(which is more than can be said about most states in the Northeast). All the libs gravitate towards Scranton and Stroudsburg with a few flamers in Milford and New Hope. Other than that, it seems like most people are conservative around here. I wouldn't hesitate to move to PA though.

But if you just retired and you really don't want to worry, I would go to Florida, Utah, Tennessee or Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingtoAmerica View Post
    But if you just retired and you really don't want to worry, I would go to Florida, Utah, Tennessee or Texas.
    I think Utah and AZ are the safest and strongest as of now.

(Indiana County)

The People have marched on the State Capital before, and can well do it again. Out of a twelve million total population, well over a million have licenses to carry firearms. You think noncompliance was bad in Connecticut and New York? You ain't seen nothin' yet. Move to Pennsylvania, you'll be much happier.

Thanks, that's good to know.

(Jefferson County)

On the first Monday after Thanksgiving PA has between the 6th largest and 10th largest armed force in the field - in the entire world.

Florida only passed up PA within well less than 10 years for carry licenses. PA is currently around 1.1 million carry licenses. I'm talking CARRY licenses, not NY's possession license, since PA doesn't require a license to possess. (open carry is legal on foot outside of Philly and absent a state of emergency - without a license). Try that in FL or TX....

When Obama referenced those folks who cling to guns and Bibles - he was referring to Western PA(but PA overall).

PA is more gun friendly than Texas. ...just look at the laws.

And a number of folks mass upon our state capital every April to May - ARMED.
    Last edited by knight0334; April 27th, 2016 at 10:22 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Hello and welcome to the site.

Right now PA gun laws are excellent and should be rated nationally higher then they get from the NRA however like every where else in this country they are constantly under attack by liberal elected officials backed with outside money provided by special interest groups. The good thing is many of us make sure we get involved any way we can to make sure the pressure it kept on. Making calls and writing elected officials is easy and does matter when it comes to our rights. Others get involved in 2A day's in the capital meeting with elected officials and letting them know how their local constituents feel.

If you looking for a state where you can lay back and never worry about your 2A rights or have to get involved to defend them then PA may not be for you, but I am not sure there is a state that exists where you can truly do that anymore.
    Thanks for the welcome and the info. I have been involved in the fight against the Safe act and other gun rights battles. I wouldn't hesitate to do the same in PA, hopefully it will be more effective than in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    The People have marched on the State Capital before, and can well do it again. Out of a twelve million total population, well over a million have licenses to carry firearms. You think noncompliance was bad in Connecticut and New York? You ain't seen nothin' yet. Move to Pennsylvania, you'll be much happier.

I would agree and hope we never have to get to that point.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast