Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Possibly moving to PA

Greetings,

Curious about your paragraph below. Regarding the "intrusive and abusive" (aren't they all!) hand gun laws, was that specifically regarding NY-City or the entire State? Thanks in advance for any reply.

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by HarmonyHermit View Post
    Folks who have never lived in NY under it's draconian laws really do not understand why us Ex NY'ers think PA is paradise. NY has had gun control since 1926 (IIRC) and handguns are strictly regulated. The process to even own a handgun is intrusive and abusive.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Possibly moving to PA

Quote Originally Posted by jim-analog View Post
    Greetings,

Curious about your paragraph below. Regarding the "intrusive and abusive" (aren't they all!) hand gun laws, was that specifically regarding NY-City or the entire State? Thanks in advance for any reply.

Regards, Jim
    Based on my experiences obtaining a Pistol Permit in Western Suffolk County.I was born in and lived in the same village prior to applying. The paperwork required four references (Non relative /police/LEO) and they had to SIGN my application. They checked everything but my Prostate. Obtained Army records, employer records, checked with neighbors.Three sets of fingerprints. Six months and a stack of paper an inch thick to determine that I had "No Record".

It is an intrusive and abusive exercise in BS.

NY State's Sullivan Law (Handgun registration) is based on racism. They wanted to keep guns out of the hands of Italians. Look it up, well documented.

Every handgun purchase required two trips to the SCPD Pistol license bureau, known locally as the Yaphank Shuffle (Yaphank is Suffolk County PD headquarters). Make arrangements and purchase handgun, take paperwork to SCPD, get purchase document, go back to pick up handgun and take to SCPD to have them PUT it on my license (By serial number).

They had no problem sending me off to the Army to possibly die in a swamp on the other side of the world (As 19 young men from my village did) but had to put me through a load of BS for six months (To the day) to own (Not to carry which I could not except to the range, just to own a handgun).

My record is cleaner than most of the Cops I know.

Yes NY's system is intrusive and abusive.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456