Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default New Member CCL travelling to PA N.J N.Y

Hi, new member ccl from Kansas looking to store my wife's and mine pistols for a week before we cross into New Jersey and New York which is our destination until our return to PA and back to Kansas. Anybody have a shop they recommend for storage / service near the Jersey border? We know better than to bring HP .40 Cal into Jersey or New York. I feel like we are travelling to a foreign country entering into NJ / NY stripped of our 2nd amendment rights at the border. We have reciprocity with Pennsylvania with our CCL permits as you do with us in Kansas. Thank you Ted.w

(Warren County)

Default Re: New Member CCL travelling to PA N.J N.Y

I'd let you store them here, but I am out in the boonies in the north west corner of the state.

Any of yinz folks in the east wanna do a Kansas outreach program?
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    I'd let you store them here, but I am out in the boonies in the north west corner of the state.

Any of yinz folks in the east wanna do a Kansas outreach program?

Thanks for your offer Mark Shere. I am also the admin for Everytown For Gun Safety Kansas on facebook which we claimed before Mayor Bloomburg was aware enough to claim the name lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted.w View Post
    Hi, new member ccl from Kansas looking to store my wife's and mine pistols for a week before we cross into New Jersey and New York which is our destination until our return to PA and back to Kansas. Anybody have a shop they recommend for storage / service near the Jersey border? We know better than to bring HP .40 Cal into Jersey or New York. I feel like we are travelling to a foreign country entering into NJ / NY stripped of our 2nd amendment rights at the border. We have reciprocity with Pennsylvania with our CCL permits as you do with us in Kansas. Thank you Ted.w
    I live in PA about 2 miles from the NJ border and about 30 mins away from NY. Do you know what part of PA you would be passing through to get into NY or NJ?

Which route/s are you traveling? Might give folks a better view as to what might be "close".

(Chester County)

Just a note of caution if the OP is planning to drop off the firearms to a PA resident before entering unfriendly territory:

Federal law, with a few inapplicable exceptions, prohibits non-FFL transfer of possession of firearms between residents of different states [ref 18 USC 922(a)(5)]. If the OP places them into a locked container in which only he has access, there may be a viable argument that no transfer of possession took place however that is a matter of court interpretation and a favorable ruling should not be assumed.
    18 USC §922. Unlawful acts

(a) It shall be unlawful-

(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
    Last edited by tl_3237; April 23rd, 2016 at 12:53 PM.
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Just a note of caution if the OP is planning to drop off the firearms to a PA resident before entering unfriendly territory:

Federal law, with a few inapplicable exceptions, prohibits non-FFL transfer of possession of firearms between residents of different states [ref 18 USC 922(a)(5)]. If the OP places them into a locked container in which only he has access, there may be a viable argument that no transfer of possession took place however that is a matter of court interpretation and a favorable ruling should not be assumed.
    Thank you for the note of caution. I really don't want to jeopardize anyone's legality. I think my best bet would be to find a FFl and drop the pistols off for service and retrieve them on our return trip. Can anyone recommend a dealer in the Pocono East Stroudsburg area?

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post

Thank you for your replies. We would rather not have to present a viable argument in court. I will be looking for an FFL for service and temporary storage or a locked storage facility in the Stroudsburg Pocono area.

(Tioga County)

This is interesting and I am looking up some legalities on this issue as I am hoping to open up gun storage services along the PA/NY border, and PA/NJ border. Posession and Transfer are two words that need to be clearly understood.
    I am looking to purchase property right on the border at the last exit so it is easy on/off with secure personal safes. YOu can choose to have your firearm cleaned while its in storage as well.
    Any input? Is this a service you all would make use of? How much would you pay for such a service? Daily? Weekly? Long term storage?