Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Juvenile Mental Health Comittment

Hello all, I apologixe for the length of this post in advance, just want to establish some history.

I am currently a GA resident but lived in PA over a decade ago. When I was 17 I lived with my sister in Allegheny County. I chose to live with her due to issues at my home. My mom signed custody to her until I turned 18 less than 6 months later. I was with my sister for maybe a month and we were fighting non stop because of various things but mainly because I didn't want to finish HS. We had one final blow out and she kicked me out, Being new to the area and state as a whole I had no where to go. I called some people back home in NJ and was advised to call local PD. Upon calling and ID'ing myself, I was told there was a commitment order out on me. They came and picked me up and transported me to local psych facility. Upon admission, it was determined I had no mental health reasons to be there but since my sister refused to take me back, they couldn't discharge me. I remained there until I was placed in a shelter. I have since served in the military and deployed to Iraq. I completely forgot about this commitment until i tried to buy a handgun from an FFL and my NICS came back denied. Upon appealing I found it it was due to this commitment. I have spoken to the POC at PA state police and his ony advice is to file an appeal. Being that I live in GA now and don't have the money to hire an attorney I am hoping maybe there are other means to get this issue dealt with and restore my 2A rights.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Juvenile Mental Health Comittment

I don't know if the "Juvenile" component has any relevance, but if you had a commitment in Pennsylvania, no matter how slight it seemed, you will never be allowed to own a firearm anywhere in the US until you are dead. And there is no appeal process and no pardons. No way out, ever.

You need to talk to a good lawyer. I have heard it is possible to invalidate the original commitment as mistaken or unjustified, but I will hazard a wild guess the odds are not great. A good lawyer can better assess your situation. Gunlawyer001 on this forum should be one of the people you talk to. I would speak with more than one. Get all your documents together first.

Maybe the "Juvenile" issue means something, I don't know, but I hope so. A really good lawyer that actually has done this before will know.

Or you can work to get PA law changed to allow restoration of rights.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

So, the sister of a 17 year old becomes his legal guardian and he winds up committed based on her word after an argument.

I'm sure the OP's story is a brief overview, but it that's basically what happened it's absolute bullshit.

I know it's beating a dead horse, but the whole involuntary commitment process needs changed.

What Ungawa said. It might be hard to afford a lawyer, but that's the only way to go when talking about your rights for the rest of your life. I doubt any poster will be able to give you a way around this.

(Berks County)

Good enough to carry a weapon and possibly die serving your country, but can't own a handgun once home over some petty bullshit while a kid.*
    Yeah, something needs to be changed...that is just wrong.
    *Based soley on your description of events.

Are you still in the military? If so, schedule an appointment with your installation Staff Judge Advocate and see if they will assist. If so their legal assistance will be free of charge.

Thanks. I will contact him

It is a brief overview. But that is what happened.

No I have been out 5 years.

Kinda feeds to my point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast